EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Too old?  (Read 872 times)

GTO

Too old?
« on: August 11, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
I am considering buying our first  rv....a 30 foot class a at age 66; assuming good health is that too old to start driving a vehicle of this size ?

john owens

• ---
Re: Too old?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 03:03:54 PM »
Sounds like now or never!!! Have Fun! ;D
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:09:05 PM »
No problem at all. In fact you will probably do much better than a much younger person who has more energy. (I know all about the energy problem, I am 69) :))
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
We bought our first Class A when I was 65. Now I'm 74 and still going strong with our third one. We did have small Class C before that though, and a bunch of TT's and conversion vans over the years.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »
You're as young as you feel. Start the adventure!
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:24:47 PM »
We are 75 and still going. 

Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:15:45 PM »
Absolutely not. Jump in and see the country while you can. If you have your health, you have it made.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 05:32:18 PM »
We bought our first 35' motorhome when we were 67 & 68. Now have a 38'.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »
I started off full-timing when I was 69 and am now 74.  And I travel alone and handle everything by myself, having put on 104,000 miles in the last five years.  Plus, I have met some other women who are in their 80s.  One told me she could not afford her house and her motorhome, so she was thinking of selling her house!  Don't know if she ever did, but she had driven her 30' Class A from Maine to Utah.

So, no, you are not too old.  Just consider that you are never going to be any younger.

And I am not even sure you need to be in perfect health.  A lot of us have the usual aches and pains, and deal with illnesses, just like we would do if we were sitting in that recliner at home in front of the TV and vegetating.  Better to get out and do things than die in your chair, which is what I told my kids. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:13:01 PM by JudyJB »
Full-timing for over five years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

micbob

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 10:18:08 PM »
Love this forum! Never too old! Enjoy life!

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 10:20:38 PM »
I move a little slower. Have to take the time to decide which knee to use when I have to kneel down. Stop and take a look around between each task to catch my breath. But setup gets done. And then I sit in my gravity chair and relax. Or on a real good day, get the bike off its rack and take a spin around the campground.

Nothing about RVing is too demanding. There is always a technique or gizmo to help get things done. The rewards of the lifestyle far outweigh any troubles for me.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 01:19:05 AM »
You young whippersnappers worry too much about being too old.  Go for it!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 01:23:45 AM »
I bought my 1st RV at age 67.  I'm 75 now and we're heading out on a quickie 30 day tour next week.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

llib enad

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 06:27:55 AM »
     I raced sports cars until age 66.  Raymonda made a sign and hung in in my work shop that read----- If you did not know when you were born, how old do you think you are----.   Planning to be back on the road when all the legal work is done after her passing away.  Oh, Have had my 83rd birthday.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 06:40:37 AM »
I am considering buying our first  rv....a 30 foot class a at age 66; assuming good health is that too old to start driving a vehicle of this size ?
'
Let me put it this way.. I'm a full timer.. I'm 66. 37'7" class A with towed.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

kudzu

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 07:28:08 AM »

I sure hope not! My wife and I are 70 and 69, respectively, and just ordered our first motorhome. Though I have some health issues, I am going to make the best of the time I have left. Go for it!
Me a stranger? Nah, just a friend you haven't met.

RedT

• ---
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 08:53:05 AM »
I agree with Arch Hoagland!

We sold the motorhome last year because we thought we were getting old enough to quit. Found out we are RVaholics, and at age 80 (me) are buying it back!  Will pick it up in 3 weeks. As the saying goes; The Meridian was so nice, we bought it twice!   :)
RedT, US Air Force Retired
2004 Itasca Meridian
2003 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake System, VMSpc
Pressure Pro TPMS

wackymac

• ---
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 09:00:13 AM »
I'm 73, wife (I hope she doesn't see this) is 76.  Owned ours for 16 years.  Just did it's 15th time across the USA this spring.  Also it's our boy Rusty's 15th time.
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H, 2001 F53 Ford chassis
2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 2wd
2 cats:
10 year old red mackerel tabby with white, male, 26#,  leash trained--Rusty
10 year old black and white DLH, 14#, female--Penny
Home base---Ocala, FL

malexander

• ---
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »
I bought my 1st RV at age 67.  I'm 75 now and we're heading out on a quickie 30 day tour next week.

I had to read that twice.........I thought it said "heading out FOR a quickie" then realized you wrote "on" a quickie. Aw well... ;D
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Venterra

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »
It is more about health than age.  Many of us are older than 67 and have no issues with RV travel.  It does require that you can easily climb in and out, bend over to stow and unstow items from the basement compartments, bend over to hook up hoses, and other items.  Many of those over 65 choose to not climb up onto the roof, but that is a matter of what you are used to and it is rare that I need to do so. 

There is some adjustment to road position if you are not accustomed to driving a vehicle this size, but the white knuckle experience will fade quicker than you might think.

Have fun and good luck!

Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »
By 60 my mother was barely able to drive across town. By 62 she couldn't drive more than to the grocery store and church without getting flustered and anxious. At 85 my FIL was still safely driving heavy equipment around his farm. He also had no problems driving a car across country to see us. Asothers have said, age is not the issue. It is your personal abilities that matter.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 10:55:56 PM »
Looks like the OP is too busy shopping for a rig......
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 01:46:59 AM »
I was going to suggest some adaptations, but I hope he is off RV shopping.  Like using a channel lock wrench to tighten and untighten water hoses.  Or sitting on a folding stool while hooking up if you have trouble bending over or can't kneel.  I am short and also use a grabber for a lot of things--getting stuff out of the pass-through storage, reaching into tall cupboards, etc.  Maybe installing an extra grab bar in the shower.

My fear is falling because I travel alone, so I am very careful to hold on with at least one hand as I go down my steps.  I have also seen people installing an extra grab handle on the outside. 

Might do things more slowly than someone younger, but I get stuff done.   

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 06:13:32 AM »
My fear is falling because I travel alone, so I am very careful to hold on with at least one hand as I go down my steps.
Back in the day I was camping solo at Teddy Roosevelt National Park, which was about as remote as you could get. I was in a class B and I decided to go outside to take a leak. On the way out the door I slipped and almost fell out of the RV, but fortunately I caught myself. If I would have fell out it would have been head first and I would have attempted to stop myself with my arm. Fortunately it didn't happen but I was about twenty times more careful after that. I never use stairs without holding the hand rail.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 08:24:23 AM »

...My fear is falling because I travel alone, so I am very careful to hold on with at least one hand as I go down my steps.  I have also seen people installing an extra grab handle on the outside...

I installed a magazine rack beside the entry which primarily is used by my wife as a way to steady herself when climbing in.. and it is also a nice magazine rack.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »
An RV may improve your health!

Many don't realize how active you become when you start RVing. In my case, I don't tow a car, so I park my RV to shop for supplies. Often that means lots of walking just to get to the front door of the store. Then when I return from shopping, I reward the dog by taking him on a walk back to the front of the store with the cart return. He loves this!

I had a bad knee, but years of zipping up and down the RV steps have made my knee so much stronger that I wouldn't dare think of a replacement, it's working fine!

Matter of fact, a crazy friend talked me into learning to ride a bicycle again. Holy cow.

The first bicycle was pure torture, but I practiced on it and kept going. Then I bought the super comfy Day 6 bicycle and now I ride every day. I go shopping with my bicycle and in campgrounds I haul out the garbage with it. I ride for fun and I ride to go places. Since my dog is only 7 pounds, he rides in the basket with me. Sometimes we stop, lock up the bicycle then hike around so he can do his doggy business.

If anyone had told me I would be this age zipping around in an RV and a bicycle, I would have died laughing and told them they were delusional.

Even the former owner, when I was buying this used rig, thought I was making a mistake because at the time I had just got out of a month's stay in ICU and I was terribly weak. But... I had a dream!

A few months later,  I got a doggy to travel with me because at the time I bought my rig, I was practicing walking 50 feet and seriously needed to be able to walk more. I wanted company to practice walking and a dog is great for that.  He didn't mind the short walks and each day I acquired more stamina.

When my non-RV friends come to visit, it's sometimes embarrassing because I am ready to drag them out on foot and paw to see the campground or local sites and I am so surprised at how few are up to that kind of leisure walking.

It makes me feel sorry for them. A few I have foolishly said when issuing an invitation  "Oh bring your bicycle when you visit, so many neat places to ride around here." Then they remind me they haven't owned a bike since they were a kid.

My bicycle makes me feel like a kid and I love it.

So WATCH OUT, acquiring an RV might improve your health!

Matter of fact, my 86 year old neighbor, just hitched up his car to his RV and took off on a 4 week trip solo. But he said he was meeting up with friends in other parks.

If you feel too old, you are too old. But if you have a dream, follow it!

Lots of folks thought I was crazy to buy my RV when most of my days at that time, were still spent in bed recuperating. Matter of fact, I was so weak, I couldn't drive alone 3 hours away to go look at the rig I thought I wanted. A friend drove me up saying more than once "You know this is a crazy idea." But turns out it was the rig I wanted and I eventually bought it.

Best thing I ever did for my health!

http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 05:56:30 PM »
In the first year I started full-timing, I lost 15 pounds and was able to lower the dose on one of my blood pressure meds.  Traveling does encourage you to get out and walk every day, even if it is just around the campground.  Meet a lot of nice people that way also.  And while I don't travel with a dog, most medical studies have shown that having to get out and walk a dog also improves your health.

And get a bike as well.  Preferably a regular two-wheeler,  but even if you can't ride a two-wheeler, there are lots of adult three-wheelers.  Some of them even fold up.  (I had to go to a two-wheeled electric bike because of my knees, but it is still fun, exercise, and gets me out.)

I also saw a couple on one of those little electric scooters that look like this:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/UberScoot-1000W-Electric-Scooter-by-Evo-Powerboards/32374839?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227022233504&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40334738072&wl4=pla-78295001912&wl5=9032735&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla_with_promotion&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=32374839&wl13=&veh=sem 

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
Nice looking scooter, Judy. Thanks. :D
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

johnaye

• ---
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »
I started driving a 36 foot Class A at 69 and at 71 this month I am driving a 40 foot Class A.  Never to old
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2008 Honda CRV

Hosted by Over The Network