Too old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GTO

I am considering buying our first  rv....a 30 foot class a at age 66; assuming good health is that too old to start driving a vehicle of this size ?

No problem at all. In fact you will probably do much better than a much younger person who has more energy. (I know all about the energy problem, I am 69) :))

We bought our first Class A when I was 65. Now I'm 74 and still going strong with our third one. We did have small Class C before that though, and a bunch of TT's and conversion vans over the years.

I started off full-timing when I was 69 and am now 74.  And I travel alone and handle everything by myself, having put on 104,000 miles in the last five years.  Plus, I have met some other women who are in their 80s.  One told me she could not afford her house and her motorhome, so she was thinking of selling her house!  Don't know if she ever did, but she had driven her 30' Class A from Maine to Utah.

So, no, you are not too old.  Just consider that you are never going to be any younger.

And I am not even sure you need to be in perfect health.  A lot of us have the usual aches and pains, and deal with illnesses, just like we would do if we were sitting in that recliner at home in front of the TV and vegetating.  Better to get out and do things than die in your chair, which is what I told my kids. 

I move a little slower. Have to take the time to decide which knee to use when I have to kneel down. Stop and take a look around between each task to catch my breath. But setup gets done. And then I sit in my gravity chair and relax. Or on a real good day, get the bike off its rack and take a spin around the campground.

Nothing about RVing is too demanding. There is always a technique or gizmo to help get things done. The rewards of the lifestyle far outweigh any troubles for me.

I raced sports cars until age 66.  Raymonda made a sign and hung in in my work shop that read----- If you did not know when you were born, how old do you think you are----.  Planning to be back on the road when all the legal work is done after her passing away.  Oh, Have had my 83rd birthday.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

GTO said:
I am considering buying our first  rv....a 30 foot class a at age 66; assuming good health is that too old to start driving a vehicle of this size ?
'
Let me put it this way.. I'm a full timer.. I'm 66. 37'7" class A with towed.

GTO said:

I sure hope not! My wife and I are 70 and 69, respectively, and just ordered our first motorhome. Though I have some health issues, I am going to make the best of the time I have left. Go for it!

I agree with Arch Hoagland!

We sold the motorhome last year because we thought we were getting old enough to quit. Found out we are RVaholics, and at age 80 (me) are buying it back!  Will pick it up in 3 weeks. As the saying goes; The Meridian was so nice, we bought it twice!  :)

I'm 73, wife (I hope she doesn't see this) is 76.  Owned ours for 16 years.  Just did it's 15th time across the USA this spring.  Also it's our boy Rusty's 15th time.

Molaker said:
I bought my 1st RV at age 67.  I'm 75 now and we're heading out on a quickie 30 day tour next week.

I had to read that twice.........I thought it said "heading out FOR a quickie" then realized you wrote "on" a quickie. Aw well... ;D

It is more about health than age.  Many of us are older than 67 and have no issues with RV travel.  It does require that you can easily climb in and out, bend over to stow and unstow items from the basement compartments, bend over to hook up hoses, and other items.  Many of those over 65 choose to not climb up onto the roof, but that is a matter of what you are used to and it is rare that I need to do so. 

There is some adjustment to road position if you are not accustomed to driving a vehicle this size, but the white knuckle experience will fade quicker than you might think.

Have fun and good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom