Installed new faucet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

In my 2002 MH most of the "stuff" in it, is original - which is good thing for the most part.
However things do wear out and somethings IMO should never have been installed in the first place - but it seems some
corners were cut (again IMO) as somethings were not as functional as they should of been or could have been.

Case and point is the bathroom faucet which was so low and close to the back edge of the sink that you really couldn't
wash your hands without touching the back edge of the sink.  And call me old school but I bend over to get a mouth full
of water to rinse out the toothpaste when brushing my teeth.  This was very hard to do and therefore my statement that
eluded to the fact that the designers of this MH didn't think about that when choosing the bathroom faucet to install.

So I wanted to solve that issue and decided to change the faucet out.  Of course it turned out to be more then just a swapping of parts.

First issue is, I wanted (and like) a single handle faucet vs. the 2 handle units that were more common 15+ years ago.
Well the sink in my MH has three holes in it - but the center hole was only used for the drain closer rod and therefore was cut smaller
then the other holes and because I purchased a single handle unit all the hoses and rod and attachment rod had to go though one hole.

Having a Corian countertop - I had to research the best way to cut it.  Long story short - a router and a carbide bit would give the best cut.
Well I found out that cutting that material with a router creates about 10,000  chips FLYING everywhere in about 30 seconds of cutting.
I might have spent 2 minutes enlarging the center hole just enough to get what I needed through it - and about 15-20 minutes vacuuming
up all the chips that went in about a 5 foot radius! 

Then there was the drain part to deal with.  Had to shorten the drain pipe as I assume this was never designed to go in a MH but I was
determined to make it work.  Then there was the issue with going from .375 female threads to .500 plastic hose cut square.  I thought
it might be nicer to have shutoff valves in case there ever was a problem - I have those on my faucets in my home - so why not in the MH?

So more parts ordered and after everything was attached and tightened up - I now have a working faucet that is way better then what was there, IMO.

The images show:

The old facet and how low and close to the back of the sink it was.

The old faucet compared to the new facet and the height difference.

The enlarged hole.

The faucet running.

And the shut off valves attached to the plastic hoses and the braided hoses from the faucet.

Attachments

• A old faucet.jpg
    A old faucet.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 58
  • A old and new.jpg
    A old and new.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 51
  • A opened hole.jpg
    A opened hole.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 20
  • A running Faucet.jpg
    A running Faucet.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 64
  • A set of Shut offs.jpg
    A set of Shut offs.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 55
The old faucets and their associated problems are very similar to those fittings that were used in boats made in Taiwan in the 80's and 90's. The Chinese people must have very small hands!!! ::)

That looks terrific!

I put a bar faucet in my bathroom, I needed to add quick connect for my compact washing machine. I ended up adding extra swivel so the quick connect wouldn't be under strain when hooked up.

The swivels mean I can clean the entire sink and aim water where I want it. The swivels actually came with a Eurojet system.  I unscrewed the final piece to replace it with my washing machine's quick connect which is the final piece shown in the faucet picture.

Bar Faucet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090X9IJC

Eurojet Swivel
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001RT2Z6

Compact Washing Machine with Quick Connect
https://www.amazon.com/Haier-HLP21N-Pulsator-1-Cubic-Foot-Portable/dp/B002UYSHMM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1502584862&sr=8-1&keywords=haier+portable+washer

Attachments

• bar fauct orig.jpg
    bar fauct orig.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 7
  • bar faucet.JPG
    bar faucet.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 20
  • euro jet-.jpg
    euro jet-.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 19
  • compact washer.jpg
    compact washer.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 13
Rene T said:
Nice job. Are you by chance going to be in NH in the near future? ::) :eek: :-\ ;D

No Plans for NH - But will be in FL, north of Lakeland this winter.  ;D

Has a similar problem with my '04 Tradition when we bought it in '06. Both bath & vanity faucets set so far back as to be unusable in any practical way. I was able to relocate the vanity faucet enough to get hands under it, but installed a new, longer snout, faucet in the bath.

Corian can be drilled with a twist bit (not the auger type),  circular-sawed for straight cuts, or cut with a variety of router bits. It also files decently, though the material clogs it quickly.

RedandSilver said:
No Plans for NH - But will be in FL, north of Lakeland this winter.  ;D

The last 2 years we've held a mini rally in Lakeland. The first year we had 7 attendees. Last we had 13. Maybe you can join us this year. We just hold it at a local restaurant. Last year was at a Smokey Bones. Sometime near the end of December, one of us will make an announcement here.

Perhaps the reason why the shut-off valves to the faucet in the sink are not standard issue is that one can easily disconnect an RV from its water source. That is somewhat more problematic with a house. :)

Frank.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom