13 inch tire options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadjunkie

I have a 2005 Gulfsteam Amerilite 21 travel trailer that had Maxxis M8008 175/80R13 ST Radials on it.  They're about 8 years old and falling apart. 

I've read some of the posts on here about tires but they mostly address 15 inch and 16 inch tires.  I'm looking for information on tires to replace the Maxxis tires.  I've read good things about the Maxxis tires but bad things about ST's in general.  Obviously, there are no 13 inch LT tires out there. 

I'm interested in hearing feedback regarding experiences with brands of 13 inch tires whether good or bad.

Thanks.

I would put LT195/75-14 tires on it, they are only 3/4" larger in diameter and may fit.  Yes, it would cost quite a bit more and you need to change wheels as well. 

^^^  This is probably your best option.  About the only other choice is get a new set of the 13" ST.  By all means, replace the tires before moving the camper!

Eight years  for a ST tire is phenomenal.  Most ST tire makers say change every 3-5 years.

If you stick with a ST tire check out the new gen Providers....Goodyear Endurance....Carlisle HD ...all carry the new 75-81 speed rating.
Higher speed rating are more about the tires ability to better cope with internal heat form loads at highway speeds.
The ST8008 Maxxis are a bit dated with the 65 mpg speed rating and the rounded sidewall profile which was typical of the old ST class tires. Plus not all sizes have the nylon cap under the tread to help hold the tire together which is critical while the tire side scrubbs around corners.

I think ST tires get a bad rep, largely because folks don't understand the speed limit (65 mph on most models) or pay attention to load/inflation requirements. And perhaps because new trailers are too often equipped with really cheap tires that are minimal for the load.

Maxxis ST175/80R13 are still available and you got great service from yours, so why not more of the same?
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-ST-Radial-M-8008-Tire/dp/B00NFLJPZW/ref=sr_1_1

As for upgrading to 14" wheels and tires, that helps by reducing the wheel revolutions per mile and gives a wider selection of ture brands/models, but you don't seem to be having any problem with the 13" you now have.

I'd like to go to a 14" tire that's an 8-ply so will look at that.  The interstate speed limit in Texas for RV's is 70mph during the day and 65mph at night.  That's plenty fast enough since I'm in no hurry.  Thanks for all of the suggestions. 

Why do you think an 8-ply rating (load range D) would be an improvement? Nothing you've said so far indicates the existing tires are overloaded or even marginal for the load.  The load or ply rating has nothing to do with the speed rating - they are independent of each other.

Does the LT195/75R14 you are considering have an adequate load rating (lbs) for the trailer axle weight?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Why do you think an 8-ply rating (load range D) would be an improvement? Nothing you've said so far indicates the existing tires are overloaded or even marginal for the load.  The load or ply rating has nothing to do with the speed rating - they are independent of each other.

Does the LT195/75R14 you are considering have an adequate load rating (lbs) for the trailer axle weight?

You're correct.  Nothing that I said indicates that the existing tires are overloaded or marginal for the load.  The tires aren't shot because they're inadequate.  They're shot because they're 12 years old.  A 14" LT tire equals more options when shopping for tires and peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom