UPS Systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadjunkie

Who is using a UPS system and how do you like it?  I want something for protection of my RV and a tech that was here working on the RV park's wifi recommended conditioning the current before it gets to the RV with a UPS system. 

My TT has 30a service.

30 Amp UPS system?

Like this. One : https://www.amazon.com/APC-SUA2200RMXL3U-SMART-UPS-120V-AC-D524344/dp/B01IA5AIK8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502568447&sr=8-3&keywords=30A+ups

Or a surge protector line conditioner like this one

https://www.amazon.com/APC-SUA2200RMXL3U-SMART-UPS-120V-AC-D524344/dp/B01IA5AIK8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502568447&sr=8-3&keywords=30A+ups

Not sure why you might need a UPC/power conditioner unless you are worried about maintaining power for computers etc after a power failure in the the RV Park. Maybe the tech was referring surge protection like any of these:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products
http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv

They are always a very GOOD idea.... The 30 or 50 amp units from Surgeguard and Progressive are often recommended here!!

Are you sure you used the right TLA (3 letter Acronym) ?

A UPS is normally used where a power interruption will damage hardware or processes,. For example on medical monitors or medical procedure hardware, Computers and related stuff.  If properly controlled there is NOTHING in an RV that needs a UPS save perhaps a DVR or a personal computer.  And neither of these need 30 amps. 3 perhaps but not 30.

NOW: An EMS (What one comnpany calls it) Or Energy MONITOR system.. ALso known as a SURGE GUARD (ANother company's name for it) These are TRUE surge guards that protect an RV from over/under voltage and usually over/under frequency as well... Some protect against OTHER things. all contain SPIKE supperessors (What those "Surge guard" outlet strips really are.

My Surger Guard (TRC product) is not the one I recommend. but if I plug into a bad outlet, say open neutral. it will block power to the RV. or if I plug into a mis-wired 30 amp outlet (240 volts) it blocks power.. If voltage goes too low.. Likewise (Can damage motors).  Also if there is a power "Interupption" (Blink I call it) This is very hard on Air Conditioners and other motor driven stuff.  They like a 3-minute shut down.. And my Surge Guard shuts down for 3 mintues if power "Blinks".

The portable EMS from Progressive Industries (PT-30C or for 50 amp RV"s PT-50C) does this as well. and the Hard wired one has the option if you clip the wire (15 seconds if you don't).

NOTE: Both TRC and Progressive Industires make lower cost units I would NOT recommend. these do not cut you off like the Good ones do,

OK then.  If you want a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) capable of running all of that stuff you're going to be using a server grade and expensive one.  I've worked with several of those and they are mongo heavy.  With batteries they come in at 100-300 pounds.  The batteries last 3-4 years and can be found for about $100 each.  Usually they take 4.

A cheaper option might be to use several smaller UPS boxes.  But finding one that would run a microwave would be a problem, and expensive.  A generator would be a reasonable option.

You can find consumer grade UPS boxes capable of running a typical desktop and monitor for 30-60 minutes just about anywhere.  Best Buy, WalMart etc.  These would also work for your CPAP but I'll bet there's a 12v option for whichever one you have.  They don't draw that much current.  You could run it off your battery 100% of the time and not have to worry about it.  Several people on this forum already do that.

We run most of our electronics, especially the stuff we want powered on while underway, on a modified Tripp-Lite BCPro UPS, but not the microwave. I removed the OEM 12-volt gel-cell, disconnected the charging circuit, and have it wired directly to the coach batteries. We really like the seamless instant switch over when we're getting under way.

Most are using laptops w a battery, so if AC power drops the laptop continues to run provided your batteries still hold a charge.
A UPS will not condition any current .

roadjunkie said:
I have a C-pap, computers, TV, microwave, etc.
Now if you had your RV information in your signature I wouldn't have to ask and would be able to give you a good answer. What RV do you have? Why can't you run it off your converter/ inverter?
Bill

I'm not sure what I want or need.  I was talking to a tech guy here at the RV park I'm in while he was repairing the wifi after a storm and mentioned surge protection to him.  He recommended a UPS system over a typical surge protector.  He's strictly a freelance service tech and not selling anything so I thought I'd ask on here.

roadjunkie said:
I'm not sure what I want or need.  I was talking to a tech guy here at the RV park I'm in while he was repairing the wifi after a storm and mentioned surge protection to him.  He recommended a UPS system over a typical surge protector.  He's strictly a freelance service tech and not selling anything so I thought I'd ask on here.
Most UPS units don't have the kind of robust protection you need. I use and recommend a SUrge Guard Portable. Here is a link to one at Camping world but you might be able to find one cheaper if you shop.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-surge-guard-with-lcd-display-50-amp/81278&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp81278&sc_intid=81278?utm_campaign=SC_Shopping_Low&affiliateid=6338&gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIac3KuxtgQznyEnrqgnqG4aThIGHM1MVxoYZeu2qgJFACbvoa_-KhqNRoChTsQAvD_BwE
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom