Rv AC unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonray521

Hi new to this forum, My A/C unit just started acting up. The unit runs and then will shuts down. It kills the power to the A/C and couple of lights on the same line. I checked circuit breakers and nothing is tripped.However, there is a bank of 15a fuses that i checked, After puling one of the fuses to see if it had blown, and reinserting it the unit came on a few minutes later. Anybody experiencing this type of problem?

John...

Welcome to the forum John.

There are a lot of people on here that are great with RV a/c units, but they may need to know some more info on things like the year make and model of everything.

it almost sounds like a thermostat power problem,  what kind is it ?

Thanks TonyDTorch;

The RV is a 2008 Innsbruck by Gulfstream. I was thinking possible bad Capacitor or something like that.But thermostat is a good start.

John

Kills power to the A/C and a couple of lights.. STRANGE.. The Lights and the A/C should have DIFFERENT fuses..

It is possible you have a loose wire.. THe LIghts in your RV should be 12 volt. the Thermostat that controls the A/C is also 12 volts.. 

ONE thought.  IF the batteries are low and in need of re-charge... The A/C can drop off and Some lights. especially Florescent may not work.

you're not trying to run everything off of one of those 50 foot long 16ga Orange extension cords. ...are you?

if not,  then you need to check the voltage in the trailer as you are starting up the a/c unit.  Harbor Freight has a volt meter for $5.    120-110 volts is ideal,  105 and below is not good.

Grid voltage levels always go down in the middle of the day when everyone runs the a/c the most. When voltage goes down, Amperage goes up,    components heat up and breakers start tripping.

That 15 amp fuse is most likely on a 12-volt DC circuit that supplies the thermostat and a few 12-volt lights. I suggest replacing the fuse just in case it is intermittently opening up. They're not expensive, and you should have some on hand anyway. The 120VAC side is probably fine...

Tony, no i'm pluged into my camp sites 120v , 50amp service. i have a fluke meter already. this started a week ago while on vacation, and the day it happened i sprained my foot. so the next time i go back i will check the voltage. i like all these ideas thanks..

John from Detroit, i thought so to, that AC should not share any lines. the next time i go to the trailer i will check the wires , Thanks

jonray521 said:
John from Detroit, i thought so to, that AC should not share any lines. the next time i go to the trailer i will check the wires , Thanks

On the 12 volt side (T_Stat) it may well share with the Furnace and other stuff.

But on the 120 volt side JUST the A/C

Dutch has it right - the problem is 12v, not the a/c itself. Nothing in the /ac unit itself uses any 12v, but the thermostat does and loss of thermostat power will cause the a/c to shut itself off.  My guess is that vibration is affecting the fuse holder, wire connection, or the fuse itself.

Thanks all for your input. This is excatly what i was looking for, and everone that has responded to my post has given me a few good ideas to chect out.

John

Back
Top Bottom