Leaving the water heater element on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrew3744

Can I leave my hot water tanks electric element on all the time when we are at the campground? I've been turning it on when I know we will likely use hot water then shut it off when we are finished. Does it have a thermostat to kick on and off when need be? I didn't want to burn up the element when it wasn't getting used.

Yes, you can leave it on as long as there is water in the water heater tank. It does have a thermostat that turns it on and off.

Are you using electric or propane?

I used to cycle the propane off and turn on 20 minutes ahead of use. That was because mine seemed to plow right  through the propane. On electric, I leave mine on 24/7. Heaven on earth.

DearMissMermaid said:
Are you using electric or propane?

I used to cycle the propane off and turn on 20 minutes ahead of use. That was because mine seemed to plow right  through the propane. On electric, I leave mine on 24/7. Heaven on earth.

They did say "Can I leave my hot water tanks electric element on all the time when we are at the campground"?

andrew3744 said:
Can I leave my hot water tanks electric element on all the time when we are at the campground? I've been turning it on when I know we will likely use hot water then shut it off when we are finished. Does it have a thermostat to kick on and off when need be? I didn't want to burn up the element when it wasn't getting used.
Yes no problem with doing it that way. The only issue is if you were in a park that charges for electricity. ;)
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom