Reese Goose Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

Has anyone tried towing their 5th wheel with a Reese Goose Box on their camper?
I dont want a conventional 5th wheel hitch with the truck bed always being tied up. I have a B&W Gooseneck hitch on my truck. Any pro's or con's?

I haven't used one. I did research it though. I have always read that goose neck conversions are harder on the fiver's frame and could possibly void the warranty. Considering that Lippert promotes the Reese Goose Box on their website, I'd say you should be good to go if you decide to go with it. Again, that's just my opinion.

kdbgoat said:
I haven't used one. I did research it though. I have always read that goose neck conversions are harder on the fiver's frame and could possibly void the warranty. Considering that Lippert promotes the Reese Goose Box on their website, I'd say you should be good to go if you decide to go with it. Again, that's just my opinion.

You are correct. Lippert fully endorses the Goose Box. It's designed with a forward arc rather than the traditional adapters that are purely vertical. It also has a cushion/spring type action built into it. I considered it when I was researching hitches but decided on the Andersen due to it's lower weight and ease of removing the adapter block (so it could be moved by a truck with a regular hitch). Had I not gone with the Andersen, the Goose Box was my 2nd choice.

Joezeppy said:
You are correct. Lippert fully endorses the Goose Box. It's designed with a forward arc rather than the traditional adapters that are purely vertical. It also has a cushion/spring type action built into it. I considered it when I was researching hitches but decided on the Andersen due to it's lower weight and ease of removing the adapter block (so it could be moved by a truck with a regular hitch). Had I not gone with the Andersen, the Goose Box was my 2nd choice.
What size and weight of a 5th wheel are you towing? I am thinking about a 2005 30' Holiday Ramber Alumascape with the Ranch Hitch Adapter.

I dont want a conventional 5th wheel hitch with the truck bed always being tied up.

Several modern 5W hitches are fully removable from the truck bed. Even 20 year old ones were readily removable down to the bed rails, though those rails can still be a nuisance if you need to slide in a heavy load.

An example of a hitch that allows full use of the truck bed:
http://www.hidden-hitches.com/5th_wheel_main.htm

Mickey G said:
What size and weight of a 5th wheel are you towing? I am thinking about a 2005 30' Holiday Ramber Alumascape.
Our Hideout is 34'-11" and has a GVWR of 11,200 lbs. While I have not weighed it yet, based on a CAT scale weight of our prior TT and estimating the same amount of cargo I think we're around 10,000 - 10,250 lbs.

Mickey G said:
...with the Ranch Hitch Adapter.
Keep in mind I'm using the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. It is not their ranch/goose neck adapter.

Mickey G said:
What size and weight of a 5th wheel are you towing? I am thinking about a 2005 30' Holiday Ramber Alumascape with the Ranch Hitch Adapter.

I would STRONGLY recommend against any FW adapter with this design.  It is like putting a cheater bar on a wrench to increase torque on a stuck bolt.  This "pipe" will lock firmly onto the FW pin, then apply unintended forces in all directions to the pin box, possibly causing significant damage to the FW frame.

Unlike the pipe style adapter, the Andersen Ultimate and B&W Companion will attach to the gooseneck ball with a stable connection to the truck bed, then support the FW pin at the pin box.  This eliminates all of the unwanted torque on the pin.  Both are easily removed from the truck, leaving a completely empty bed.

Also, what is your tow vehicle (TV)?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom