Grand Junction, Co to Jackson, Wy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherediney

We are a 30 ft gasser towing a keep liberty.  I am trying to figure out our route to Jackson and Yellowstone.  We are coming from South West Colorado and I have my route planned through Grand Junction.  I have skipped the 550 through Silverton and Ouray and will do those via day trips.  My question now is getting from Grand Junction.  It looks like I could go up through vernal and the flaming gorge, or go over to the 15 and up.  I am not sure though if this will be similar driving to the 550 from Durango.  I will be ok with some mountain driving but don't want to go overboard with it, no pun intended.  We are not in a hurry and would like to take our time, see great scenery and fly fish as possible. 
After the Western Wyoming section we will head West possibly to Columbia Gorge.  Any travel tips are appreciated.  Sheree

If you are thinking of take SR-139 from Fruita/Loma a little west of Grand Junction and you don't want mountain driving that is not the route for your. 

The road itself is fine, full width.  However a few miles (20 or so) north of I-70 you have a steep climb with sharp turns and the same going down the north side.  We drove it in our 40' diesel pusher coming south.  This is the reverse of your direction.  Going up on the north side, because of the steep climb and very sharp turn we were in first gear and 10mph for a few hundred yards before getting up into 2nd gear.  Coming down the south side we were again in 1st gear for a few hundred yards because of sharp turn and steep road. 

BTW we also drove from Ouray to Durango, and didn't think it was particularly bad.  Just steep and slow driving.

If you want to go to I-15, take US-6/191 north starting just west of Green River, UT to Price and on to Provo, UT.  There is a bit of a climb and decent north of Price, but not nearly as bad as coming up from Cortez through Telluride, which I am assuming is your route from SW Colorado.

If you don't actually have to go to Grand Junction you might consider 13 out of Rifle (half way between Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction).  I have driven it both directions in a 30ft (total) Class C without any problems traveling between Glenwood Springs and Dinouaur National Monument.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom