Bed Ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binkleton

Ok guys (and  ladies) Ihave a question. How do I find out if my 1999 Safari Classic Class C came with a ladder (steps) for access to the overcab bed?  Don't know if this is even a thing, but it seems to me it would make getting in and out of bed much easier. These 60year old knees don,t like the up and over the dinette to go to bed. They like it even less at 2:30 am when it's time to pee. If I find there wasn't a step or ladder originally, does anyone have a suggestion? I am perfectly capable of making a set of simple , removeable steps, but would like original  if possible. Thanks for reading.

For $48 delivered, here is a 60 inch bunk ladder.

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carlson-LA-460-60-Bunk-Ladder/dp/B0050EIUOY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1502583116&sr=8-7&keywords=rv+ladder

Mine happened to be stored up on top of the cabinets, there is a place to pop it in horizontally. When it's bedtime for the guest loft, remove ladder, hook to bunk, climb up and down.

It's possible yours is well hidden somewhere. Shame they would lose something so critical. But then again, my prior owners confessed to losing the awning grabber. I found it under the mattress. Wonder how many years it had been lost there?

Attachments

• bunk ladder.jpg
    bunk ladder.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 6
Here some more bunk ladders to choose from:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bunk+ladder&rh=i:aps,k:bunk+ladder&ajr=0

I bought a ladder right after I got my Class C (5+ years ago) and cut it to the proper length.  I use a 1 x 2 oak board to span the overhead gap and use this to support the ladder.  Works great.

One of the things I picked up is a Telescoping ladder. NO it is not long enough to put me on the roof of the RV but it will reach the top so I can use it washing and waxing and doing other side of the RV maintenance... But being a Telescoping I need not pull it out all the way (NOTE> special instructions if you don't fully extend it) and they come in assorted lengths.. It stows very easily since fully retracted it's only a couple feet tall.

I used it as an Attic ladder when I was working at a Thrift Store, Worked great..  IN fact I use it for everything EXCEPT rootop work. that takes the longer ladder I hang on the back (not nearly as easy to use).

You can get shorter ones too. Mine is 12 feet as I recall.

Thanks for the ideas. I didn't want to cut an aluminum ladder if I didn't have to. I only need 48 inches. The shortest one I found for bunks were 60 inches. I think I'll try to  make a custom ladder. I'm a woodworker by trade, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks again for the replies and links.

We carry a small step ladder for the bunk. It gets stored on the bunk, but is used wherever needed around the camper.

I know you mentioned you wanted something like the original, but I would recommend a Skinny Minnie Ladder that we have.  The platform steps are much easier to navigate in the middle of the night and it can be used for other purposes as HappyWanderer mentioned. To each his own though.

binkleton said:
Thanks for the ideas. I didn't want to cut an aluminum ladder if I didn't have to. I only need 48 inches. The shortest one I found for bunks were 60 inches. I think I'll try to  make a custom ladder. I'm a woodworker by trade, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks again for the replies and links.

I talked my dealer into throwing in one of those retail type bunk ladders
It was way too long, so I cut it down and attached the hooks to the bunk's fascia frame right behind the driver's set so it's out of the way.  We just leave it in place.

binkleton said:

Here's a beautiful 48 inch ladder that folds flat.

https://www.amazon.com/3-step-Folding-Ladder-Walnut-Finish/dp/B00TVO7LF8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1502935907&sr=8-35&keywords=48+inch+ladder&&linkCode=ll1&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=469ba464c19339a05f50cc79b7ca7fe5

Attachments

• 48 inch ladder.jpg
    48 inch ladder.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom