EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 2004 F53 Front Wheel Squeal  (Read 246 times)

Boptop

• ---
2004 F53 Front Wheel Squeal
« on: August 12, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »
I left from Florida last Friday for my trip out west and made it to New Mexico before my left front wheel began to squeal. It started as an intermittent noise that I could hear as I came to a stop. As the wheel slowed down the squeal also slowed. After some more driving it increased to a continuous squeal. The noise doesn't change when brakes are applied. Could that be the feeler gauge on the brake pads? Hoping it's not a wheel bearing. Have to wait til Monday to call repair place in Santa Fe to get it checked out.

PCarillon

• ---
Re: 2004 F53 Front Wheel Squeal
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 08:47:10 PM »
sounds like a brake pad squealer bearing would more of a grinding/humming noise
Paul
2016 Outlaw 38RE

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:30:16 PM »
I left from Florida last Friday for my trip out west and made it to New Mexico before my left front wheel began to squeal. It started as an intermittent noise that I could hear as I came to a stop. As the wheel slowed down the squeal also slowed. After some more driving it increased to a continuous squeal. The noise doesn't change when brakes are applied. Could that be the feeler gauge on the brake pads? Hoping it's not a wheel bearing. Have to wait til Monday to call repair place in Santa Fe to get it checked out.
I would have it checked some of the F53's had a problem with the pistons in the calipers not retracting. May be a easy fix now but could be a complete brake job if you need to replace rooters and calipers.
Do a search on F53 brake problems.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Boptop

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
Having trouble getting someone in Santa Fe/Albuquerque to look at it. The squeal started about 200 miles ago. If it's the brake pad feeler how long can you risk driving before changing brake pads?

PCarillon

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 07:58:41 PM »
hard to answer that, depends on driving habits and such but I would assume maybe a couple 1000 miles or so anyways. they  squeal to let you now its getting close but dont think they will chew them up over night. I wouldnt wait very long but you should be good to drive to another town if you need too.
Paul
2016 Outlaw 38RE

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »
If it's the brake pad feeler how long can you risk driving before changing brake pads?

It varies with your driving habits, but a few thousand miles to be sure. It is not a case of incipient failure - just a wear warning.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:18:44 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network