2004 F53 Front Wheel Squeal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boptop

I left from Florida last Friday for my trip out west and made it to New Mexico before my left front wheel began to squeal. It started as an intermittent noise that I could hear as I came to a stop. As the wheel slowed down the squeal also slowed. After some more driving it increased to a continuous squeal. The noise doesn't change when brakes are applied. Could that be the feeler gauge on the brake pads? Hoping it's not a wheel bearing. Have to wait til Monday to call repair place in Santa Fe to get it checked out.

sounds like a brake pad squealer bearing would more of a grinding/humming noise

Boptop said:
I left from Florida last Friday for my trip out west and made it to New Mexico before my left front wheel began to squeal. It started as an intermittent noise that I could hear as I came to a stop. As the wheel slowed down the squeal also slowed. After some more driving it increased to a continuous squeal. The noise doesn't change when brakes are applied. Could that be the feeler gauge on the brake pads? Hoping it's not a wheel bearing. Have to wait til Monday to call repair place in Santa Fe to get it checked out.
I would have it checked some of the F53's had a problem with the pistons in the calipers not retracting. May be a easy fix now but could be a complete brake job if you need to replace rooters and calipers.
Do a search on F53 brake problems.
Bill

Having trouble getting someone in Santa Fe/Albuquerque to look at it. The squeal started about 200 miles ago. If it's the brake pad feeler how long can you risk driving before changing brake pads?

hard to answer that, depends on driving habits and such but I would assume maybe a couple 1000 miles or so anyways. they  squeal to let you now its getting close but dont think they will chew them up over night. I wouldnt wait very long but you should be good to drive to another town if you need too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom