Run the generator while driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's good to know!! We will be passing through Needles soon! :-[
Thank you!!

When we go to Oshkosh, I start my genny just before unplugging the motor home in my driveway. I don't shut it off till I'm parked, and plugged in at the campground at OSH. It's 975 miles, 17 hours driving time spread out over 2 days.

rachpyne said:
We have a MH, can we run generator while we are driving?
Absolutely, Yesterday I was at the tire dealer getting new tires on the front. As soon as I was out of the bay I started the generator and turned on the roof AC.
The only thing to be aware of is it will shut down when you are down to 1/4 tank of fuel. This is done to prevent you from using al the fuel when camped some ware and gives you a reserve to get to the gas station. ;)
One other tip if it is hot run your dash air on "recirculate" it will cool better. :))
Bill

I do, at least once a month.  You have to run the Generator at least 1/2 hour under at least 1/2 load every month.. So I do it on my last trip of the month every month (or the first of next month) Since I move every week or two depending on the time of year.

Generator is 12 years old.. Only thing I've ever done to it is Start/Stop. Oil and filter and of course feed it gasoline...  When Matthew came calling. I was 3 miles from the YOU MUST LEAVE line... I can tell you that Onan was a joy to sit atop.. I had hot and cold running water.. Air Contitioning, Shower.. Food,  Everything....  EXCEPT INTERNET.

Not only can you, run it while driving, but some RVs like mine have an extra switch to start it and stop it up front that you can reach while driving.  While it is essential to start it for 20-30 minutes each month to keep the brushes in condition it is also a good idea to not start it for a few minutes and turn it off before running it a while.  I have read that this puts wear and tear on the generator more than running it until it is well warmed up.

We full time so if we're not plugged in, the generator and air conditioner are running (if it's cool enough that we don't need the ac then we're heading South).

Ernie

JoelP said:
Not only can you, run it while driving, but some RVs like mine have an extra switch to start it and stop it up front that you can reach while driving.
Mine too. I think we have the same coach 37F, except Winnebago slapped Itasca on yours as it went out the door.  :)

JoelP said:
Not only can you, run it while driving, but some RVs like mine have an extra switch to start it and stop it up front that you can reach while driving.  While it is essential to start it for 20-30 minutes each month to keep the brushes in condition it is also a good idea to not start it for a few minutes and turn it off before running it a while.  I have read that this puts wear and tear on the generator more than running it until it is well warmed up.

The manual for mine (Onan 4kw KY model) recommends running 2 hours under at least half load every month. Also it is a good idea to turn off your main breaker to allow the generator to warm up a couple of minutes before loading, and then allow it to cool down a couple of minutes with no load before you shut it down.

kdbgoat said:
The manual for mine (Onan 4kw KY model) recommends running 2 hours under at least half load every month. Also it is a good idea to turn off your main breaker to allow the generator to warm up a couple of minutes before loading, and then allow it to cool down a couple of minutes with no load before you shut it down.

I once had to replace the brushes because I was lax in running it each month. It was explained to me that an oxide formed on the carbon that needed to be scrubbed.  While I can imaging that 30 minutes would service this purpose I have to wonder why Onan would recommend as much as 2 hours.  Any thoughts on that?  IN 30 minutes I have to think that every part of the generator will be at the same temperature as it would be in an hour or longer.

JoelP said:
I once had to replace the brushes because I was lax in running it each month. It was explained to me that an oxide formed on the carbon that needed to be scrubbed.  While I can imaging that 30 minutes would service this purpose I have to wonder why Onan would recommend as much as 2 hours.  Any thoughts on that?  IN 30 minutes I have to think that every part of the generator will be at the same temperature as it would be in an hour or longer.
This spring when I was at the FMCA rally in Chandler AZ. I was talking to the Cummins/Onan reps about  that. There reply was that they had increased the "exercise" time under at least 1/2 load to 2 hours monthly because of the gas that has ethanol (on gas units) and to be shure to get moisture out of the windings on the generator. They also commented that as many as 70% of the units that came in for repair the problem could be attributed to not exercising the unit properly.
Bill

a

WILDEBILL308 said:
This spring when I was at the FMCA rally in Chandler AZ. I was talking to the Cummins/Onan reps about  that. There reply was that they had increased the "exercise" time under at least 1/2 load to 2 hours monthly because of the gas that has ethanol (on gas units) and to be shure to get moisture out of the windings on the generator. They also commented that as many as 70% of the units that came in for repair the problem could be attributed to not exercising the unit properly.
Bill

a
To further add to the info posted by WILDEBILL308 concerning ethanol, our previous mh was gas and had the Onan gas genie so we can relate to the potential ethanol issue.  About halfway through each camping season, I would add (3) 16oz cans of "Sea Foam" fuel additive/conditioner to the 75 gal tank. I then added same amount to the tank a second time and before shutting down for the winter,drove 20-30 miles with the genie running so it would mix with the gas.  Never has a problem and it started right up in the spring.  Also use this stuff in all of our lawn/garden motors and boats when I had them.
We also use "Sea Foam" in our current diesel pusher the same way with very good results.

In regards to the original posters question; yes we run our genie 9/10 times when the coach is moving and do the annual maintenance along with the big engine.  Use it or lose it. :D

rachpyne said:
That's good to know!! We will be passing through Needles soon! :-[
Thank you!!

I think driving an RV through Needles without generator air conditioning... is illegal. 

you could get pulled over and die ..  :)

Hello, I'm new to RVing, I recently purchased a Tiffin Allegro Bus (used) and the Onan 7500 W diesel generator wasn't working because the inverter was fried. While it was being serviced I asked the service manager at the Onan dealer a lot of question and one was running the generator while on the highway. His answer was quick and simple, no unless the conditions are perfect, totally dry and totally dust free and than he said if it was his, he wouldn't. Although that statement was pretty blunt, I not sure it would apply to gas or even other makes of generator.

I run my 8kW generator any time the engine is running no problems in 30,000 miles. I think he's blowing smoke.

Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom