Free overnight parking , Children's Hospital Houston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigguyone

Hi,  needing to go to Texas Children's Hospital in Houston.  Does anyone know if you can overnight park there...  Or maybe a place near by?
I have a C Class and will be there for one night.

Thanks for any help........

I hope so,  i check on one RV park and they want over $50 a night.    Like i said i only need to stay one night.  will be first trip so dont need any problems and cant stay far from hospital.  So if anyone has stayed there overnight  let me.

Thanks

Hospitals tend to be lenient in emergencies.

I had to leave my 28 foot RV illegally parked outside a big hospital entrance, but it was out of the way that didn't hamper traffic flow. Their parking garage was too low for me. Because of the summer heat, I had to also leave the generator running with AC and  my dog inside. He likes the window shades up, so he can see out every window.

There was a note on the door "I'm inside having emergency surgery, please don't tow. My friend is checking on rig and dog hourly."

Another time when I pulled up to same hospital, security was outside. She directed me to the same unmarked spot to park.

Thanks  DearMissMermaid,  makes me feel a little better,  it will be next month when we go.  I can stay with M/H if need in daytime, daughter can take care of grandson when doing test on him.  But they may not be able to all the test till next day. So i will need a spot to stay till he is done, then we can start home.

Thanks Dave

SeilerBird said:
I would suggest calling the hospital and talking to a supervisor.
:))  Exactly what I was going to recommend.  Seems we're getting so "social media'd" that we have become reluctant to talk to people.

SeilerBird said:
I would suggest calling the hospital and talking to a supervisor.

Or Security.  I have had occasion to do this 3 times or so in recent years.  A couple of days to  2 or 3 weeks. Call and explain your situation and I think you'll have no trouble.  2 of them even offered an electrical hook up. 

Howard

Yes thats what i will do in the next few days and see what they say, all they can say is no and i will have to look at something else.

Iam looking forward to doing some RVing  and this site has help me out on a few things.  Its a lot of info on here, iam learning things every time i get on here.  Some post are a few years old but still holds very good info for us just starting out,  iam sure i as well as others we be looking at them for great info.

Thanks  Dave

bigguyone said:
Yes thats what i will do in the next few days and see what they say, all they can say is no and i will have to look at something else.
Believe me that is preferable to having the police or security guard knock on your door at midnight.

We needed to meet a friend in Lubbock where his wife was in the hospital and he was parked out in the parking lot with electric.  We parked next to him and it worked out very well because he was going to work on our satellite dish.  His wife got out of the hospital and we went our separate ways the next day.

ArdraF

That's good ArdraF , worked out for both of you.  The more I talk with every one the better I feel about things. 

bigguyone said:
That's good ArdraF , worked out for both of you.  The more I talk with every one the better I feel about things.

bigguyone
No disrespect intended but by simply calling Texas Children's Hospital Houston, (@ 832-824-1000), you can get the correct answer...(no need to "talk with" any one else).

yes, I would definitely call
but I don't think it's fair to say with such certainty that you'll necessarily get the correct or even best answer when you call.
Odds are good that you'll get a 'good' answer though, in short order. (one way or the other)

We go to TCH frequently and hospital parking is all underground with low clearance.  Its' difficult to navigate those parking garages with a normal car and they can't accommodate an RV. You could check if valet will park your RV though- that's $18/day with no in/out privileges.  The medical center driving in general is very challenging- it's busy and confusing, lots of pedestrians, many people driving are unfamiliar with the area, and there's a "metro rail" running down the middle restricting left turns intermittently.

There are a few surface lots not affiliated with the hospital several blocks away where you can pay by the day but again, it's super tight and I don't know that an RV could even fit into the ticket area or a space. Parking is very expensive ($18 per 24 hours in hospital affiliated garages, sometimes $7 per 24 hours if you can snag one of the cheaper lots within a mile of the hospitals).  There are no discounts for hospital patients unless you are having surgery at TCH in which case they comp one day of valet.  My daughter has been inpatient at the hospital for 3 months and 1 month at a time and we paid the same or more in parking than in insurance copays. Keep your receipts though if you have money saved in an FSA or an HSA as medical parking is usually an eligible expense. 

If you're going to the west tower of TCH this is where you're headed, but the other buildings set up are very similar too--

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7086946,-95.4016131,3a,75y,59.59h,88.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUUkwNTTi5L6roc11FMsrvA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

TCH is to the right, with low clearance underground parking pictured, or you pull around for valet (clearance for valet is OK)
The road is Fannin, with MetroRail restricted left turns in the middle as well as Metrorail platform in the middle, constant source of pedestrians, you have additional signage (that is unexplained) depicting when MetroRail is coming and when entering the left turn lanes is not allowed.  No parallel/street parking in the heart of the medical center.  As far as offsite parking/MetroRail one option is the Houston Zoo/Hermann Park nearby that has huge surface lots, but it's a hike in the heat even to get to the MetroRail stop.

If the TCH valet can park your car- excellent option.  If not your best bet is probably park offsite and use the MetroRail or Uber. 

Hi lisamc,    Yea I called and they don't have parking for RV s  they say the only thing is a RV site.  They did tell me about two of them and they have a shuttle that will take you back and forth.  So it looks like that is the only thing I can do when the times comes.  But if they can do all the tests in one day then once we can stop on the way back.

But thanks to all for the info
Dave

You're welcome! I'm glad you got the info you needed. I hope you don't need to be at TCH anytime this week or next though. The flooding is very bad from Hurricane Harvey and worsening.  TCH cancelled a lot of outpatient appointments (including one of ours) and implemented other  schedule/staffing reductions starting Friday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom