Benefits of POD type TT's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deeman

I have been looking to get a TT that has a max ready to roll weight of 3,700lbs so the Pod type trailers are appealing.

When looking at trailers in this weight range I am obviously seeing models like the Wolf Pup as well as the Hummingbird and R-Pod.  They are visually pretty different designs.  The Pod's do seem to carry a premium when compared to roughly the same floorplan as the boxy type trailers (Wolf Pup). 

I would suspect the Pod types will sell quicker once I am ready to see, agree?  I also assume the resale value will be much better too, agree?

I read an article that indicate in 2015 and 2016 the R-Pods were the best selling trailers in any class and their sales are increasing more than any other trailer as well - something close to a 23% increase in sales year to year which speaks well of this segment and the R-Pods.

Thanks!

I'd make my choice on my own needs and comfort rather than what others like or resale value. An RV is an investment in your lifestyle moreso than a financial venture. It's a definite loser on the financial side!

The Pod types have less impact on tow vehicle fuel economy but you give up head room and other types of space. Spend some time is each style and see what works for you.

Edit: fixed nonsense typo!

Pods are popular because they can be towed by SUVs. No RV decision should be made based on resale value; there are too many other variables. Buy what works for you.

Percentage numbers can look impressive but the actual number of units sold would be more telling when making comparisons based on popularity.

We too had seriously considered those models, in particular the R-Pod, but after sitting in them by ourselves for 10 minutes or so we decided the small form factor wasn't our style. We felt cramped. I like my showers. My wife likes her showers. The deciding factor for us when we tried to turn around in the wet bath....there's not much room in there. There was either the toilet in the way or the taps digging in our backsides and when finished step out and stand beside the fridge and stove to dry off?. Not our thing. YMMV. Good luck with your search.

We went with our pod-style Winnie Drop mainly because of layout. It has a larger dinette area that will comfortably seat 4, yet still has the  bunks we need for the kids. The outdoor kitchen was also an option that sold us. It makes cooking less crowded and there are no lingering food smells in the camper.

I'm not positive if the box trailers still use wood framing, but the pods use aluminum. Seemed like an advantage.

Some box trailers still use "stick & tin" construction, while the better (usually more expensive) ones are metal frame with either metal or fiberglass siding.

We opted for a Winnie Drop for several reasons. My wife thought it was cute (main reason and I acquiesced since she opted for me cause I'm cute). It can be towed with almost anything. Our Mini Cooper tows it just fine  ;D. (See my signature below). Fits us fine since we have no plans on fulltiming in it. Right now I'm using it as a beer cooler, auxiliary outside power source and radio for when I work in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom