Maine in September?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryA

We want to head to Maine in September and hope to arrive approx. 9-14/15.  Will be in a 30' C with a toad.  Prefer federal parks but am open to others.  Any suggestions?

SeilerBird said:
Are you looking for hookups or boondocking?

Either will be fine.  Like most people I like the comforts of hookups but the price of boondocking. 

Make sure your propane tank is full, cause you are likely to be using heat. Maine chills off fast after 8/31!

I don't know of any federal parks with RV campsites, but the Acadia NP and surrounding area (Bar Harbor & Mt Desett Island) is a great visit.  Further south is the Old Orchard beach region, but very commercial.  Moosehead Lake is primal, but only a few RV parks.

I believe Schoodic Woods near Winter Harbor was remodeled in the last year or two and is supposed to be outstanding.  Getting reservations there may be a challenge.

We're planning on being up that way around the same time, then working our way slowly back down south. We were hoping that finding spots in state parks or private campgrounds wont be much of a problem since it will be after Labor Day. Is that an accurate assumption, or will we need to be looking for reservations?  We would be looking for 30 amp power, but are fine running off our tanks for a few days at a time.  Thanks in advance for any info!

Patnsuzanne said:
We're planning on being up that way around the same time, then working our way slowly back down south. We were hoping that finding spots in state parks or private campgrounds wont be much of a problem since it will be after Labor Day. Is that an accurate assumption, or will we need to be looking for reservations?  We would be looking for 30 amp power, but are fine running off our tanks for a few days at a time.  Thanks in advance for any info!

We usually don't do reservations and thought, like you, that after Labor Day sites will be available.  Maybe we'll get some experienced Maine travelers to chime in.  We did 3.5 months a couple years ago and only did reservation for a couple days over Labor Day.  Don't know what to expect in Maine?

You'll find most places shuttered after Columbus Day, so planning ahead would probably be a good idea.

I was in Forest Ridge Campground in Ellsworth. ME for several nights in May.  Great launching point for adventures in Acadia NP, or even up to St. John, NB on the Harley.  Owner lives on  site, very attentive and friendly.  I believe they are open year round, but advance contact might be advisable.  Beautiful country up there--Enjoy!

GeneS said:
I was in Forest Ridge Campground in Ellsworth. ME for several nights in May.  Great launching point for adventures in Acadia NP, or even up to St. John, NB on the Harley.  Owner lives on  site, very attentive and friendly.  I believe they are open year round, but advance contact might be advisable.  Beautiful country up there--Enjoy!
Agree, I didn't stay there, but I heard from a friend that it is quite a good place!

It's quite a nice spot, and not too far out of town (Elsworth). Not as convenient for visits to Bar Harbor & Mt Desert Island as other places, but more secluded. Less expensive than the touristy parks as well.

Thanks for all the information.  Will try to get the DW to look at some of these suggestions and make some plans.  We are both hesitant @ reservations because we can be easily delayed or distracted (might stop at a place along the way and decide to stay a few additional days)  Thanks, again.

In addition to all of the above, we always enjoyed the White Mountains staying Bethel Maine, here is a link: http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/generalinfo.aspx?cgid=100005562 

Ed

If you have time, stick around and visit the Fryeburg fair. It starts on Oct. 1st and runs through the 8th. Great agricultural fair. They have camp sites for 3,000 RV's. We go every year and spend 5 nights there.  We reserve the same site every year.
Here's their Web Site:

http://www.fryeburgfair.org/ 

Back
Top Bottom