Xantrex XM 1000 Inverter uses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacmania

I have had this inverter for 2 years now and have never used it. What "fun" am I missing out on. What are some of your uses for AC inverter this small?

Pacmania said:
I have had this inverter for 2 years now and have never used it. What "fun" am I missing out on. What are some of your uses for AC inverter this small?

I did away with the typical RV fridge and installed a residential fridge and use the inverter to power it up while traveling. I also have one electrical outlet powered by this inverter and had to use it one time to air up one of my tires with my 110 Volt AC compressor.

Your inverter probably only powers your entertainment electronics, TV, DVD,etc. I also have a xantrex 1000 and all my tvs plus one outlet next to the nagivator are all that are served by it.

I wouldn't call that "small", though it is on the low end of the "big" range. Many rigs have only 300 watts or so, just enough to run a TV and DVD and maybe a satellite receiver if camping somewhere without electric hook-up..

So, you can power anything that requires 120v power, up to around 1000W, at least for awhile (depending on your battery capacity). Besides watching tv, you can charge cell phones and laptops, power a fan on warm days, operate many electric coffee makers, run small power tools, use an electric can opener or a hair curling iron, cook dinner in a crock pot, or whatever else your imagination can come up with.

You say you don't ever want to do any of those things? Well, that's ok too. Some people own a hammer and never pound things with it either. No big deal.

ChasA said:
Your inverter probably only powers your entertainment electronics, TV, DVD,etc. I also have a xantrex 1000 and all my tvs plus one outlet next to the nagivator are all that are served by it.
Right.  1Kw isn't enough for a microwave but it would be plenty for a fridge and miscellaneous stuff. Be aware that a modified sine wave inverter might not play nice with electronics (I'm guessing yours isn't pure sine wave.) Our inverter is never shut off unless there's a very special circumstance. Sometimes we don't realize shore power was lost because the transfer to inverter is so quick.

Yes, my inverter is modified sine wave. All the electronics and device chargers are fine with it.

You are very lucky! 

Clocks (120v) can run fast or slow since they time off the 60 Hz sine wave. Some MSW inverters produce a square wave (rich in harmonics) and the better ones have a 'stepped' sine wave.

Back
Top Bottom