Parking brake light on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Stephens

We are in the middle of a long trip. Currently near I-95 on I-26 in Sc and parking brake fail light and beeper came on while driving with cruise control set at 60. Pulled over, called GS roadside assistance and was told can't get anyone out till a.m.  My question: can I drive without destroying something, or am I grounded until a mechanic looks at this?

A quick answer by someone will be appreciated.

Forgot to mention this is a workhorse w-24 chassis with auto park feature when in park, all is well. When in drive, lights, beeper come on and a sickly sound comes from the parking brake system under the hood. Not quite a grinding, but sounds like it's straining.

Wish I could help, John, but I'm not familiar with that particular warning light and the W24. If that indicator is strictly for the auto-park brake, then probably you are stranded.

IF that is a foot operated parking brake.. and I think it is on the W-24. then if you stick your head under the dash you will find the switch on the parking brake bracket, There should be two wires connected to it.

THe firest (From teh switch) is the parking brake wire for you JACKS (They do not go down if the parking brake is not set) the second is for the light on the dash and alarm.

Possible causes of problem

Pedal is not FULLY up it must be FULLY up to operatre the switch (Switch is normally closed)

Switch has picked a bit of moisture or livestock (Insect) and is shorted.. Apply brakem and operate switch a few times manually. then release brake

Short in Jack wire. Disconnect the other wire and see if light goes off, if it does Well you can safelky driuve with that wire disconnected but you really should get it fixed

Short in the Dash light wire  You will have to get it fixed,

Thanks to both of you for your responses. 24 hours later, I have a story to tell.

I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance, as stated in my first post and will have a problem dealing with them in the future due to their inability to help me out in a time of need. I guess 24/7 service really doesn't mean much.

After I called them, I called my mechanic in Florida on his personal cell phone number because he told me long ago to call him when I'm on the road if I ever have a problem and he would try to help me via phone however he could. When I explained to him what had happened and the fact that the coach was still drivable, he knew exactly what was wrong and what to do.

He told me that the Workhorse chassis with the Auto Park, either by option on the smaller units or standard on the W-24, have had a problem with the design of their valve from the fluid resevoir. It apparently has a bad habit of wearing out after a few years of use and allows the fluid to leak out. The fluid is what keeps the parking brake from clamping down on the drive shaft, so when it is depleted, the brake sets and if you are driving down the highway, it will super heat the drive shaft and drum of the brake, ruining both and causing an extremely expensive repair. When I told him the coach would still roll forward when in drive, he knew the brake had not yet set and that no damage had been done yet and told me to check the fluid level. If it was low or empty, add ATF Dexron III to the tank and then keep an eye on it until I get back home. That was the case. When I checked the level, it was completely depleted, telling me that I must have stopped the coach in time to avoid damage. I filled it with ATF and the lights and beeper went off. When I put the transmission in park, the brake still works, so all is well other than having to have a new valve installed. My mechanic told me that he has been using a different, more expensive valve to replace the originals that will never go out again and doesn't understand why the manufacturers don't put out a bulletin explaining the same.

I hope this may help someone else in the future. Apparently, it is a fairly common malady on Workhorse chassis.

Back
Top Bottom