A/C with HEATPUMP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WW6Fred

Hello,

I have a 1999 Nu-wa Legend with a 15000 BTU heat pump/ac by Duo Therm.

My question is. Why does the unit in the ac mode shut the ac pump down for about 20 min and just blow air? Is there a way to bypass this? I live in Tucson, Ac. and full time in the RV.  20 min.,
of no AC tends to heat up the trailer quite a bit.

Thank you for any help
Fred.

It's normal for in-line surge protectors to have built in delays before they allow power to flow through them. Those delays allow pressure in the AC unit's compressor to bleed off so no damage is done to them in the event of a momentary power outage. I think my surge protector's delay is about 2 & 1/2 minutes.

A 20 min delay seems excessive, and I'm not even sure it would be caused by the same thing (self protection.) If it is a self protection feature, I would have no idea how to bypass it.

Kev

Possibly the control box is sensing a false freeze condition and reverses the flow of Freon for a set amount of time. However this should only happen during heat mode and only in heat pumps. It is an expensive "try changing the control box" troubleshooting. I would first call the manufacturer tech support for their idea. 

Welcome to the forum.

It's a 1999 unit - When was the unit last cleaned out?
If dirt etc. is clogging up the fins it might be overheating and then shutting down the AC to cool down
before it starts up again.

Also are your running on 30amp or 50amp power?
Are you in a RV park?  Many others there too?  Can you check the voltage coming in?  110 volts should be the minimum, IMO.

The usual reason for that is an internal freeze-up. There is a sensor that detects that and the  a/c controller shuts off the compressor and keeps the fan running to move air through until the internals thaw out again. 20 minutes seems long for that, but maybe it just seems like 20 minutes?

An internal freeze results from a variety of possible conditions. The simplest is weather - very high temps and humidity. Poor air flow through the a/c is another possibility, either interior air flow or exterior heat shedding.  An air leak between the outlet and intake, allowing chilled air to recirculate through the a/c is another possibility.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom