wireless back up camera help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjaspud

I recently installed a Yada wireless backup camera on my 28" travel trailer.  The distance from the camera at the back of the trailer to dash display is about 45'.  The camera is advertised as capable of transmitting 30'.  Despite the distance limitation the camera works perfectly when I am stationary in my yard.  When I hit the road the wireless signal intermittently drops out and then returns.  I am guessing that I am loosing the signal as I drive down the road.  Is there any kind of signal booster that I can add to get the camera to work properly?  Thanks  Spud 

Welcome to the RV Forum!

Getting into tin foil hat territory, you could try a reflector mounted in front of the display (between it and the windshield) to make the antenna a little directional.

Looking at the system online it seems the add-on camera has an external antenna, where the one with the original kit doesn't. :\

Mine doesn't work well in metropolitan ares - where you really want it to work. I found that the hand held walkie talkies use the same or close to same frequency. Key the walkie talkie within 100' and the look back monitor goes blank. Sorry I don't know the solution other than getting a stronger sending unit?  :-\

Could you plug one of these range extenders into an inverter driven outlet in your TT?

https://smile.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Extender-Essentials-EX2700/dp/B00L0YLRUW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502660684&sr=8-3&keywords=wireless+range+extender

How hard would it be to hard wire it? I had the same problem and gave up. Very happy since I hardwired mine.

I'm sorry this is too late to help you , but might help someone else reading this thread regarding camera systems.  I did a bit of research in backup systems because I have a fiver and the distance to the back end of the rig is quite far.  Furrion is the system I chose, but one needs to be careful when choosing the right model.  For example, the Furrion Backup System comes with camera and monitor.  The Furrion Observation System also comes with camera and monitor - the difference between the two is that the Backup system has a range of 30 feet while the Observation system has a range of 100 feet (my fiver alone is longer than 30 feet). I read reviews on Amazon regarding both systems, and the general sense was that the Backup system was good for cars and short distances, but if you have an RV with transmitting distances longer than 30 feet maximum then the Observation system is what one needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom