THE CHILDREN OF THE SILENT GENERATION...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
utahclaimjumper said:
This is the Shade Tree and needent be about RVs,,so,, I very firmly believe this countries constitution should REQUIRE a minimum service to the country from all able bodied persons as Israel does,,to instill a sense of duty, respect, discipline, pride, responsibility for ones actions, and service.....It seems many problems in Israel are created by those that are EXEMPT from this requirement and expect others to do all the work.  As our country ages and the population gets younger,, the problems are coming from this younger
segment of society that have NO SENSE of responsibility to anyone or anything and those that support that position as FREEDOM FROM ANY REQUIREMENT TO EARN IT because they also have never had to earn it.>>>Dan

I spent 26 years in the AF and another 12 years with the DoD. So 36 years with the AF. I retired from the DoD in 2015. As Chief of Education and Training and Education Counselor I came into contact with every new Airman to the base and most seasoned folks. I briefed and counseled those in rank from E-1 through E-9 and O-1 through O-8. Later in my career I noticed what Dan is alluding to in some new recruits. The AF was never a hard service, like I imagined the Marines and Army could be. The new recruits coming in now seem more entitled than when I joined in 1975. These kids are much smarter than we were. But they come from the instant gratification generation. Some find the military too hard to adjust to. Getting to what Dan is suggesting, I have mixed feelings. I think the structure and job skills learned would be a great asset to these young folks in their future endeavors. However, I have seen what both Vietnam Nam, the Gulf War and Afghanistan/Iraq did and is still doing to these young folks both physically and mentally. I encouraged my son to join the AF for many of the reasons Dan mentions in his post. He was sent to Iraq. He got out after 13 years diagnosed with PTSD. He is not the same kid that I remember. I think I have to take some responsibility for his disability. I don't think I could advocate for mandatory military service given the way we seem to treat these folks when they return.

I share very few views with the "left",, but I can get behind anyone whom disagrees with "nation building" in some dirthole on the other side of the planet as our obligation.>>>D

I asked my doctor once how come all the guys that came back from WW2 never had PTSD..?

He said they did... and that's why they drank a lot of booze,  and beat their wives.      That always stuck in my head.

I was one of only 3 guys that was not drafted in my Basic training company.  There is nothing fair about the draft,  it should be all or nothing.  I have no one to be mad at...I enlisted.

I had a friend that was in the Army (Germany) in 75 when Saigon fell.....he said it was a sad time to be in the Army.

This is the Shade Tree and needent be about RVs,,so,,

This is the Shade Tree, but it has its limits.  There are VERY MANY places on the internet to discuss personal political viewpoints.  If people want to spew vitriol to the right or spew vitriol to the left, go ahead.  But do it in a non-RV Forum setting.  I really don't think it does anything to enhance our Rving shared experiences and belongs spewed elsewhere.  Perhaps the RV Forum should set up a vitriol spewing section ... then those of us interested in enjoying the RV experience can ignore that section.

:)) :)) :))
This forum has rules prohibiting discussions of politics, religion and guns. Yet there are a few people here who insist on dragging politics into discussions as often as possible.

utahclaimjumper said:
There is nothing keeping you from ignoring anything you don't like.>>>D

Only our interest in reading the rest of the non-political responses that are posted in a subject with a generic topic like this one.  If you have political views that drive you to expound them to the internet audience, take them to a political forum!

The thread is entitled "the silent generation",,all I see is a discussion of generational differences,, the word politics has only been entered in the last couple of posts by the very same folks that are complaining about it.>>>D

Tom and Margi said:
Only our interest in reading the rest of the non-political responses that are posted in a subject with a generic topic like this one.  If you have political views that drive you to expound them to the internet audience, take them to a political forum!
So you would rather shut down an interesting topic than just ignore some of the posts you don't agree with.

Oldgater and I have our differences, but he made my point better than I did. If all had to serve the country in some way,, with NO exceptions,, we would not have our returning military being spat on by those who haven't earned the right.>>>D

utahclaimjumper said:
Oldgater and I have our differences, but he made my point better than I did. If all had to serve the country in some way,, with NO exceptions,, we would not have our returning military being spat on by those who haven't earned the right.>>>D

I have always been an advocate that EVERYONE has a two year public service commitment when they turn 18 or graduate from high school, which ever is later. With no exceptions except for physical or mental disability. This service could be the military or some other public service. I would like to see them bring back the Youth Conservation Corps. They could work in the national parks and many other places. Their service would have to be served a minimum of 500 miles from their home. They could not be accepted into any post secondary education until their service was completed. They would get room & board plus they would have the choice of receiving a small some for pay (maybe what an E-1 in the military makes) OR work for no pay and receive the first two years of college paid for.

Just a thought.

Back when all shoes were leather,, remember the rubber soles you could buy with adhesive to stick on the bottoms?. They would come loose at the front and embarrass the hell out of me, but we were poor to the point of not affording a new pair and had to remove them after school and save them for church and school only( in the 40s).>>>D

utahclaimjumper said:
Back when all shoes were leather,, remember the rubber soles you could buy with adhesive to stick on the bottoms?. They would come loose at the front and embarrass the hell out of me, but we were poor to the point of not affording a new pair and had to remove them after school and save them for church and school only( in the 40s).>>>D

And how many know what "taps" are for shoes?

Rene T said:
And how many know what "taps" are for shoes?

Me, I wore taps on all of my dress shoes to make them last. When my mother bought me shoes, she bought them a half size large, had steels taps installed so I could grow into them. My father was not an earner, we were on the bottom rung of the economic ladder.

My father was an airman in the Strategic Air Command in Beale AFB, CA during the Bay of Pigs. I was only 8 years old but I remember the tension in our household for those 2-weeks.

Personally I prefer an all volunteer military. You don't get the idiots, the drop outs, the goofballs who have no motivation. In our military today, as overworked as they are, we are blessed with the countries finest, the brightest, the highly motivated. If you're not moving forward in today's military , you're being pushed out as it should be in every career field.

The US is spending over 600 billion on the military. That is more than Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, India, France, Great Britain, Japan and Germany combined. And there are people who want to raise the defense budget even higher? For what reason? To make us safer? Absolute insanity. :-[

http://www.pgpf.org/chart-archive/0053_defense-comparison

SeilerBird said:
The US is spending over 600 billion on the military. That is more than Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, India, France, Great Britain, Japan and Germany combined. And there are people who want to raise the defense budget even higher? For what reason? To make us safer? Absolute insanity. :-[

I support FULLY funding the military to provide a living Wage to all military personnel , as it is they are underpaid and overworked. Nothing in our country is more important than a strong, well fed, well equipped military that stands at the ready. Heck yes, I support an increase in military funding.

SeilerBird said:

Tom you really need to get some more sources because it seems you tend to believe just the one you cite.  The Air Force, as an example is at it's lowest point since it was established and the  other services are pretty much in the same position.  Military hardware today is much more sophisticated (and expensive) than it was in previous decades.  I really would like to know how anybody determined the military budgets of China and Russia.  I think they are nothing more than WAGs.  Also you may not be aware of what sequestration has done to our military - read up on it.  In summary, I support every dime the military is given and hope they get even more.  I would rather see them get the funds they need rather than the huge amount of waste/fraud/deception going on in the welfare programs.  One tiny example. Why does a poor person need a cell phone provided by the government?  I am a 20 year military vet so I give that disclaimer to partially explain how I feel.  And I am fulling willing to admit that there is waste in the military but not to any degree that would justify REDUCING their budgets.  JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom