EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: THE CHILDREN OF THE SILENT GENERATION...  (Read 3742 times)

Oldgator73

• ---
Re: THE CHILDREN OF THE SILENT GENERATION...
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2017, 08:13:25 PM »
What is the Universal Service Fund?

The Universal Service Fund was created under the Telecommunications Act of 1996...

Why is it called the Obama Phone?

Expansion of the Lifeline program to add coverage of cell phones took place in 2008, the year Barack Obama was elected President of the United States.

The Lifeline program originated in 1984, during the administration of Ronald Reagan; it was expanded in 1996, during the administration of Bill Clinton; and its first cellular provider service (SafeLink Wireless) was launched by TracFone in 2008, during the administration of George W. Bush. All of these milestones were passed prior to the advent of the Obama administration.
The Lifeline program only covers monthly discounts on landline or wireless telephone service for eligible consumers. It does not pay
cellular companies to provide free cell phones to consumers, although some cellular service providers choose to offer that benefit to their Lifeline customers.
Lifeline discounts are not available only to “welfare recipients” — these programs are implemented at both the state and federal levels, so qualification criteria can vary from state to state, but in general participants must have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or take part in at least one of the following federal assistance programs:

Medicaid;
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP);

Supplemental Security Income (SSI);

Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8);

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP);

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF);

National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program;

Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance;

Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF);

Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR);

Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met); or

State assistance programs (if applicable).

The Lifeline program is not directly subsidized by taxpayer monies. It is paid for out of the federal Universal Service Fund (USF) through a fee assessed against telecommunications service providers, who may or may not pass those costs along to their customers:
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
The majority of the homeless people that live in the riverbeds around here have Obama Phones.  Every other liquor store has a big sign in the window that says "Free Obama Phones".   That way they can use their EBT card to buy some booze,   and a pick up a free cell phone for their burgeoning weed delivery business.   

and the WIC program rewards unmarried women for having a child under 5...so they make sure they always have a child every couple years.    :(

sorry....but Welfare fraud is rampant around here in La La land.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:51:08 PM by TonyDtorch »

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »
The majority of the homeless people that live in the riverbeds around here have Obama Phones.  Every other liquor store has a big sign in the window that says "Free Obama Phones".   That way they use their EBT card to buy some booze and a pick up a free cell phone. ( I heard it was an Iphone too ! )    :(

sorry....but Welfare fraud is rampant around here in La La land.

Facts are those pesky little things that seem to escape you Tony.
Air Force Retired

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »
the typical Liberal...

it's not the results that mater...it is the intentions.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:54:44 PM by TonyDtorch »

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2017, 10:15:12 PM »
and the WIC program rewards unmarried women for having a child under 5...so they make sure they always have a child every couple years.    :(
Just for information of any interested parties, I used WIC for two foster children I had. WIC provides milk and other nutrious foods to infants and preschool children. The rules for the food are pretty strict. No sugary cereals just whole wheat ones for example. The only food provided for mothers are for those who are pregnant or exclusively breastfeeding. They also require mandatory nutritional, health, and developmental counseling. The worse part of WIC was the judgemental, rude, self-righteous individuals who would stand behind me in line at the grocery store making snide comments about welfare mothers and cheaters. Because I was a professional with a good income and wore nice clothes, I had to be cheating the system if I was using WIC, as they were sure to let me know. In fact, I actually stopped using WIC because it was too frustrating. We qualified for food stamps too, for the kids. Luckily we were able to provide for our foster children without these perfectly legal and appropriate supports. Most foster parents can't afford that, so they have to put up with the rude comments. So do the women who are escaping domestic violence or the women who want their children well fed while trying to better themselves.

I generally recommend talking to people who use WIC before judging the program. Then again, it is generally easier to just complain about someone you don't know anything about than try to walk a mile in their shoes.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2017, 10:38:26 PM »
I have stood in line behind a WIC mother that was buying a Slurpy and a gallon of milk and a box of Lucky charms at our local convenience store.

She just flipped out the EBT card.

The typical middle-east store owner knows no one ever enforces the rules here in America.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:40:53 PM by TonyDtorch »

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2017, 10:40:10 PM »
I get to see the WIC mothers buying a Slurpy and a box of Lucky charms at our local convenience store.

they just flip out the EBT card.

The typical middle-east store owner knows no one ever enforces the rules here in America.

Typical MAGA guy.
Air Force Retired

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2017, 10:42:21 PM »
and rather proud of that,   I stand up for our national anthem and everything.

The last thing we need is more of the D.C. status quo.

MAGA    and make California great again...(or is that asking too much.. ;) )
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:46:13 PM by TonyDtorch »

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2017, 06:28:34 AM »
Yep, never have watched Fox and never will.

Best for you - keep those eyes firmly closed.  I have watched all the other liberal media and now know why I prefer FOX - for the stories you never see on the others.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 6 months

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »
Old Gator 73 said:  "I don't think I could advocate for mandatory military service given the way we seem to treat these folks when they return."

I had to read this twice before I saw that word 'mandatory' and that part I would agree with unless we were in another world war.  But it appears you had a very rewarding career and yet you compare returning from Vietnam to returning from other war zones.  That surprises me because it is so well know that Vietnam returnees were treated like baby killers by so much of the population yet Iraq and Afghanistan returnees are welcomed back with open arms and a lot of programs both medically and educationally to help them re-adapt.  Many companies today are looking exclusively for vets to hire because of their background.  In short, vets are much more respected today than they ever were after Vietnam.  I never served in Vietnam being in the ICBM program but even I met some lunkheads who seemed to have it in for ANY serviceman of that time.  JMHO

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2017, 06:48:12 AM »
This is the Shade Tree and needent be about RVs,,so,,

This is the Shade Tree, but it has its limits.  There are VERY MANY places on the internet to discuss personal political viewpoints.  If people want to spew vitriol to the right or spew vitriol to the left, go ahead.  But do it in a non-RV Forum setting.   I really don't think it does anything to enhance our Rving shared experiences and belongs spewed elsewhere.  Perhaps the RV Forum should set up a vitriol spewing section ... then those of us interested in enjoying the RV experience can ignore that section.

Yes this is the shade tree and you came here voluntarily - directly to this thread - knowing that some political points were being discussed.  You can easily avoid any angst by simply not clicking on this thread.  It has NO vitriol as you describe but does have some obvious discussion between differing political views from people on both sides of the spectrum.  Sorry you are offended but perhaps general discussions like this, no matter where they occur, are beneficial as long as they don't turn into name-calling diatribes.  For me, this one has not even approached that point.

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2017, 06:50:17 AM »
There is nothing keeping you from ignoring anything you don't like.>>>D
X2
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2017, 06:57:18 AM »
As a Disabled Veteran I'm proud to be a Vietnam Veteran (non-combat), Lifetime VFW Member, and a Red Blooded American. I'm proud to have Donald Trump as the President of the United States. I'm proud to say that America is the greatest nation in the world, bar none. I stand for the Anthem, tear up when I see injustice, and detest naysayers.

In my HUMBLE Opinion people who slam our great country all the while soaking up the benefits of our Constitution are the worst sort. It is shame these people should feel. It is quite cliche but if you don't like the rules move to one of those other countries.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, and God Bless our President and our Great Nation.

John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:04 AM »
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
That is so offensive to me. America has always been great and saying it is not great is Unamerican to me.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »
As a Disabled Veteran I'm proud to be a Vietnam Veteran (non-combat), Lifetime VFW Member, and a Red Blooded American. I'm proud to have Donald Trump as the President of the United States. I'm proud to say that America is the greatest nation in the world, bar none. I stand for the Anthem, tear up when I see injustice, and detest naysayers.

In my HUMBLE Opinion people who slam our great country all the while soaking up the benefits of our Constitution are the worst sort. It is shame these people should feel. It is quite cliche but if you don't like the rules move to one of those other countries.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, and God Bless our President and our Great Nation.

Well said sir.  I salute you.  But don't have them move to another country.  Have them open their eyes and help build this country back to where it previously was.  Differing viewpoints are needed but the liberal views of today are approaching a dangerous level - they seem to want to change history and, in our government, do not want to do anything but say NO.  I want to see the Democrats participate in a positive way. File bills and at least find something non-partisan they can agree on. As it is now they simply sit on the sidelines of Congress and chirp chirp chirp negatives.  How about some positives from that side of the aisle.  Yes, they stand for some differing things but certainly not EVERYTHING.  My country is divided.  I used to say it would take another 911 to reunite it but now as I look over the political front I think such an event would reunite only about 60 percent.  The remainder would be supporting the attacking side.  Folks, I would love to see our Congress unite and find common ground on at least a few important areas.   

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2017, 07:14:34 AM »
That is so offensive to me. America has always been great and saying it is not great is Unamerican to me.

Depends on how you define GREAT Tom.  Unamerican?  Really because someone thinks their country has slipped a notch or two? Seems to be a pretty drastic assumption.

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2017, 07:20:42 AM »
Depends on how you define GREAT Tom.  Unamerican?  Really because someone thinks their country has slipped a notch or two? Seems to be a pretty drastic assumption.

Bill
Yep Unamerican. If you are a real American you support America you don't run it into the ground. We have not slipped a notch or two.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2017, 07:29:51 AM »
I have stood in line behind a WIC mother that was buying a Slurpy and a gallon of milk and a box of Lucky charms at our local convenience store.

She just flipped out the EBT card.

The milk could have been on WIC, but the Lucky Charms and Slurpy sure wouldn't have been. Do not confuse WIC and SNAP (aka food stamps). They are totally different programs.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »
I am giving this a time out. I think we have covered enough ground and the political issues are on the horizon.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Hosted by Over The Network