THE CHILDREN OF THE SILENT GENERATION...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill N said:
Tom you really need to get some more sources because it seems you tend to believe just the one you cite.  The Air Force, as an example is at it's lowest point since it was established and the  other services are pretty much in the same position.  Military hardware today is much more sophisticated (and expensive) than it was in previous decades.  I really would like to know how anybody determined the military budgets of China and Russia.  I think they are nothing more than WAGs.  Also you may not be aware of what sequestration has done to our military - read up on it.  In summary, I support every dime the military is given and hope they get even more.  I would rather see them get the funds they need rather than the huge amount of waste/fraud/deception going on in the welfare programs.  One tiny example. Why does a poor person need a cell phone provided by the government?  I am a 20 year military vet so I give that disclaimer to partially explain how I feel.  And I am fulling willing to admit that there is waste in the military but not to any degree that would justify REDUCING their budgets.  JMHO

Welfare fraud is not that common. Only about 3% of folks on welfare are fraudulent. As for free cell phones, that is not entirely true. The government subsidizes cell phone carriers to provide low cost cell coverage for folks earning below a certain income. I haven't found a reputable source stating the government buys cell phones for poor people.

John Beard said:
I support FULLY funding the military to provide a living Wage to all military personnel , as it is they are underpaid and overworked. Nothing in our country is more important than a strong, well fed, well equipped military that stands at the ready. Heck yes, I support an increase in military funding.

XX2  ;D ;D

Oldgator73 said:
Welfare fraud is not that common. Only about 3% of folks on welfare are fraudulent. As for free cell phones, that is not entirely true. The government subsidizes cell phone carriers to provide low cost cell coverage for folks earning below a certain income. I haven't found a reputable source stating the government buys cell phones for poor people.
I don't know if it was reputable but I personally met a family that told me they were on welfare and not a single adult member of the family had ever worked.  Then he and his wife whipped out they cell phones and told me that they thanked Mr Obama for giving them and FOUR other members of their family those phones.  Yes I don't care to waste time looking it up now but there have been programs to give actual phones to those who qualify.  And I am happy to see that somebody doesn't think there is much welfare fraud.  The SNAP program (food stamps) is a prime example of many more than those actually entitled getting on and staying on the program - and willingly bragging about it.  But then I guess I am just a crusty old man who gets tired of seeing our country go down the chute.

Bill

I get aggravated at the supposed "earned income credit" too. I can understand getting back what one pays in if their income is that low, but they shouldn't be getting back more than what they paid in.

What is the Universal Service Fund?

The Universal Service Fund was created under the Telecommunications Act of 1996...

Why is it called the Obama Phone?

Expansion of the Lifeline program to add coverage of cell phones took place in 2008, the year Barack Obama was elected President of the United States.

Paul & Ann said:
What is the Universal Service Fund?

The Universal Service Fund was created under the Telecommunications Act of 1996...

Why is it called the Obama Phone?

Expansion of the Lifeline program to add coverage of cell phones took place in 2008, the year Barack Obama was elected President of the United States.

The Lifeline program originated in 1984, during the administration of Ronald Reagan; it was expanded in 1996, during the administration of Bill Clinton; and its first cellular provider service (SafeLink Wireless) was launched by TracFone in 2008, during the administration of George W. Bush. All of these milestones were passed prior to the advent of the Obama administration.
The Lifeline program only covers monthly discounts on landline or wireless telephone service for eligible consumers. It does not pay
cellular companies to provide free cell phones to consumers, although some cellular service providers choose to offer that benefit to their Lifeline customers.
Lifeline discounts are not available only to ?welfare recipients? ? these programs are implemented at both the state and federal levels, so qualification criteria can vary from state to state, but in general participants must have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or take part in at least one of the following federal assistance programs:

Medicaid;
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP);

Supplemental Security Income (SSI);

Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8);

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP);

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF);

National School Lunch Program?s Free Lunch Program;

Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance;

Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF);

Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR);

Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met); or

State assistance programs (if applicable).

The Lifeline program is not directly subsidized by taxpayer monies. It is paid for out of the federal Universal Service Fund (USF) through a fee assessed against telecommunications service providers, who may or may not pass those costs along to their customers:

The majority of the homeless people that live in the riverbeds around here have Obama Phones.  Every other liquor store has a big sign in the window that says "Free Obama Phones".  That way they can use their EBT card to buy some booze,  and a pick up a free cell phone for their burgeoning weed delivery business. 

and the WIC program rewards unmarried women for having a child under 5...so they make sure they always have a child every couple years.    :(

sorry....but Welfare fraud is rampant around here in La La land.

Attachments

• obama phone.jpg
    obama phone.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 18
TonyDtorch said:
The majority of the homeless people that live in the riverbeds around here have Obama Phones.  Every other liquor store has a big sign in the window that says "Free Obama Phones".  That way they use their EBT card to buy some booze and a pick up a free cell phone. ( I heard it was an Iphone too ! )    :(

sorry....but Welfare fraud is rampant around here in La La land.

Facts are those pesky little things that seem to escape you Tony.

the typical Liberal...

it's not the results that mater...it is the intentions.

TonyDtorch said:
and the WIC program rewards unmarried women for having a child under 5...so they make sure they always have a child every couple years.    :(
Just for information of any interested parties, I used WIC for two foster children I had. WIC provides milk and other nutrious foods to infants and preschool children. The rules for the food are pretty strict. No sugary cereals just whole wheat ones for example. The only food provided for mothers are for those who are pregnant or exclusively breastfeeding. They also require mandatory nutritional, health, and developmental counseling. The worse part of WIC was the judgemental, rude, self-righteous individuals who would stand behind me in line at the grocery store making snide comments about welfare mothers and cheaters. Because I was a professional with a good income and wore nice clothes, I had to be cheating the system if I was using WIC, as they were sure to let me know. In fact, I actually stopped using WIC because it was too frustrating. We qualified for food stamps too, for the kids. Luckily we were able to provide for our foster children without these perfectly legal and appropriate supports. Most foster parents can't afford that, so they have to put up with the rude comments. So do the women who are escaping domestic violence or the women who want their children well fed while trying to better themselves.

I generally recommend talking to people who use WIC before judging the program. Then again, it is generally easier to just complain about someone you don't know anything about than try to walk a mile in their shoes.

I have stood in line behind a WIC mother that was buying a Slurpy and a gallon of milk and a box of Lucky charms at our local convenience store.

She just flipped out the EBT card.

The typical middle-east store owner knows no one ever enforces the rules here in America.

TonyDtorch said:
I get to see the WIC mothers buying a Slurpy and a box of Lucky charms at our local convenience store.

they just flip out the EBT card.

The typical middle-east store owner knows no one ever enforces the rules here in America.

Typical MAGA guy.

and rather proud of that,  I stand up for our national anthem and everything.

The last thing we need is more of the D.C. status quo.

MAGA    and make California great again...(or is that asking too much.. ;) )

Oldgator73 said:
Yep, never have watched Fox and never will.

Best for you - keep those eyes firmly closed.  I have watched all the other liberal media and now know why I prefer FOX - for the stories you never see on the others.

Old Gator 73 said:  "I don't think I could advocate for mandatory military service given the way we seem to treat these folks when they return."

I had to read this twice before I saw that word 'mandatory' and that part I would agree with unless we were in another world war.  But it appears you had a very rewarding career and yet you compare returning from Vietnam to returning from other war zones.  That surprises me because it is so well know that Vietnam returnees were treated like baby killers by so much of the population yet Iraq and Afghanistan returnees are welcomed back with open arms and a lot of programs both medically and educationally to help them re-adapt.  Many companies today are looking exclusively for vets to hire because of their background.  In short, vets are much more respected today than they ever were after Vietnam.  I never served in Vietnam being in the ICBM program but even I met some lunkheads who seemed to have it in for ANY serviceman of that time.  JMHO

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom