THE CHILDREN OF THE SILENT GENERATION...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad was a WW2 vet,  He was hard and serious,    I am a Vietnam vet,    yes....There were times of hardship in my past.

now that I am getting older I endeavor to think of all the good times I've had in my life.... and let go of the bad times.

Oldgator73 said:
I apologize to the moderators in advance but I must respond. What does me being a fellow AF member have to do with what I stated? If you think all men (people) are created equal in the US you need to look at prison statistics and watch how non whites are treated. Justice for all is a pipe dream. With the current administration investing in for profit prisons you will see many more folks put in prison that do not belong there. You and I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Many folks do not know what is contained in that document.

One thing I learned in serving my country - PRIDE in my country.  End of discussion.

Bill

Bill N said:
One thing I learned in serving my country - PRIDE in my country.  End of discussion.

Bill

You can have pride in your country and still want your country to be better. We, as a country, should strive to always be better. When America was in its infancy only white men had the right to vote and hold office. It took many, many years hardship and bloodshed for people of color and women to obtain those rights. There are many examples of inequality in our history. We as a nation are getting better but we cannot just sit back and say we are done. We have to continue to work to make things equal for all as stated in the Constitution. I served my country for 36 years. I do not want that 36 years of service squandered by our country backsliding into what some call the good ole days.

Rene T said:
And respected the flag and the Anthem.

The best way to respect the flag is to follow the guidelines set forth in US Code Title 36 Chapter 10. I would say that all the folks riding around with the flag displayed on their trucks, used as clothing, used in advertisement are the folks disrespecting the flag. As far as the National Anthem, there is nothing written that indicates you MUST stand during the playing of the song. If it is someone's opinion that if a person decides to sit or take a knee during the playing of the anthem is somehow disrespectful then I would have to point them towards the First Amendment of the Constitution. If a person sits or kneels during the Anthem in protest they are exercising their First Amendment rights according to the Constitution. It would be unpatriotic (and probably illegal) to force someone to stand during the Anthem. I have not seen any outcry from anybody about the fans at sporting events that rush to the concession stands or the bathrooms during the Anthem.

Oldgator73 said:
The best way to respect the flag is to follow the guidelines set forth in US Code Title 36 Chapter 10. I would say that all the folks riding around with the flag displayed on their trucks, used as clothing, used in advertisement are the folks disrespecting the flag. As far as the National Anthem, there is nothing written that indicates you MUST stand during the playing of the song. If it is someone's opinion that if a person decides to sit or take a knee during the playing of the anthem is somehow disrespectful then I would have to point them towards the First Amendment of the Constitution. If a person sits or kneels during the Anthem in protest they are exercising their First Amendment rights according to the Constitution. It would be unpatriotic (and probably illegal) to force someone to stand during the Anthem. I have not seen any outcry from anybody about the fans at sporting events that rush to the concession stands or the bathrooms during the Anthem.
I searched but couldn't find US Code Title 36 Chapter 10
http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

sounds like one of the O.J. jurors....."not guilty because of racial injustice".

I wonder if any of the remaining Tuskegee Airmen would take a knee during our national anthem ? 

Because you have the right...does not make it right.

Paul & Ann said:
Does that mean that even though we have a Second Amendment right, does not make it right?

You may have a different opinion of what's right and wrong from other Americans.  I'm sure there are even some Americans that think women should not have the right to vote.

You have the right to disagree with anything you want in the Bill of Rights.  If you want to change the laws into what you think is right...change 'em.

Look at the 18th amendment...those people thought it was the right thing to do.

TonyDtorch said:
You may have a different opinion of what's right and wrong from other Americans.  I'm sure there are some Americans don't think women should have the right to vote.

And  You have the right to disagree with anything you want in the Bill of Rights,  Look at what happened to the 18th amendment.

you want to change the law...change it.

That is not my point.  You said, "Because you have the right...does not make it right."  Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant.  What exactly did you mean by that?

Paul & Ann said:
That is not my point.  You said, "Because you have the right...does not make it right."  What exactly did you mean by that?

an example...

I have the right to use an American flag as toilet paper...but I won't.

TonyDtorch said:
I thought that was a wonderful reminder of the Children of the Silent Generation.  Children that lived through but did not have to participate in a war,  are almost forgotten about.

I was a Vietnam child,  many of the memories were fun.  Thank you.

OldGator73...I've seen children play in the middle of a war zone...you can find moments of Peace anywhere.

Are you suggesting that the Children of the Silent Generation did not have to participate in a war? 

Dragginourbedaround said:
I searched but couldn't find US Code Title 36 Chapter 10
http://www.usflag.org/us.code36.html
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

If you search "Flag Code" you should be able to find it.

"Oldgater" seems to be carrying a racial grudge around his neck,,I for one have NEVER OWNED A SLAVE and you for one HAVE NEVER BEEN ONE.. So let it go and get on with life.>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
"Oldgater" seems to be carrying a racial grudge around his neck,,I for one have NEVER OWNED A SLAVE and you for one HAVE NEVER BEEN ONE.. So let it go and get on with life.>>>Dan

And you sir are demonstrating classic white privilege. This has nothing to do with slavery (we could have that conversation though). This has to do with the inequality in treatment by our society and governments towards people of color, women and the LGBT community. If you do not like the conversation, stay out of it. Whatever you do, do not proclaim to think I have a "racial grudge". I want my two mixed race grandchildren to have all the opportunities and privileges that I have enjoyed. I'll let it go and get on with life when that happens.

I wonder...

Let's say you're like me and you have so much disdain for our legal system.....  you decided to take a knee when the bailiff says "All Rise".

What would happen..do you have that right not to stand ?

TonyDtorch said:
I wonder...

Let's say you're like me and you have so much disdain for our legal system.....  you took a knee when the bailiff says "All Rise".

What would happen..do you have that right not to stand ?

Interesting question. From what I have read the bailiff has no authority over you in the courtroom. But, if the judge asks you to rise and approach the bench and you don't, you might be held in contempt.
There is no penalty for not rising for the Anthem. The statute covering such matters says "should" not shall or must.
I have disdain for a legal system that is not impartial.

I'm good with that,    after watching the O.J. trial....The next time I hear a bailiff say .."All Rise" ..... I'm gonna be like the pro athletes  ...
I'll  give him a one finger salute and stay seated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom