THE CHILDREN OF THE SILENT GENERATION...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TonyDtorch said:
Yes...Then he would have had every exemption from the law .....Black,  Sports star,  Wealthy,  Liberal.... and a Hollywood star.

Peace...I'm out.

Bye Felecia.

Nah, my giddy's good. Got to mow the yard though which means I have to go to Autozone and get a new battery for the tractor. That might make some of my giddy giddy up and go.

Oldgator73 said:
Not sure you have the stomach for this......OJ was guilty as hell. The DA's office did a terrible job. He got away with murder then and he sweet talked the parole  board and lied his a$$ off and walked out of prison today. If he would have acted that good in the Towering Inferno it probably would have won some awards.
Don't worry... he'll be back in jail soon enough - it's just a matter of time. Unfortunately, someone will be victimized in the process. He's no longer a sports "hero" worshipped by throngs of fans with distorted values, who were willing to overlook his criminal and violent behavior for the sake of his athletic abilities. He is who he has always been... just another dirt bag. (I'll bet he doesn't even own an RV)

Kev

Back to what Tom originally posted: I was not born in the 30's or 40's. 1951. But we did many of the things mentioned in the Tom's post. My Dad was a lineman for the IBEW. We didn't take vacations since he didn't get paid unless he worked-no paid vacations. But I don't think we missed them. We went out to eat occasionally at the S&S Cafereria. We lived 5 miles from the beach and often went. Florida has many lakes so we fished a lot. We played outside, like Tom mentioned, until the streetlights came one. The last day of school we put our school clothes away and wore shorts, no shoes or shirts until we went back to school. We played sandlot football and baseball. When we got tired of baseball we played Army using the bats as bazookas and the balls as hand granades. On Saturdays Mom would drop me off at the movies with a quarter. Enough to get me in and buy popcorn and a soda. After the movie I would walk across the street to me cousins gas station. He had the nickel coke machine and those little oatmeal cakes for another nickel. I won't bore you with all 21 years I lived at home. For us it was a good time to grow up. It took me a long time to realize that wasn't the case for all.

You guys had street lights!?! I was a teenager before we got power.

I can still remember the first time I spoke on a telephone; I held the receiver to my ear for a moment and my aunt yelled "you have to say something"  ;D  ::)

Sprucegum said:
You guys had street lights!?! I was a teenager before we got power.

I can still remember the first time I spoke on a telephone; I held the receiver to my ear for a moment and my aunt yelled "you have to say something"  ;D  ::)

We lived on a dirt road. When they finally paved it everybody sat in their yards in lawn chairs. It was the entertainment of the month. We also had the mosquito fogger come around. All us kids would run behind the truck sniffing the fog.

I was raised in a company house on the Shell Oil pipeline and tank farm.  The highlight of our young lives was when they burned the sump (waste oil) and black clouds billowed into the sky.  We also dug "forts" in the desert (before water turned the western San Joaquin Valley of California into farmland and orchards) and promised to abandon the forts when/if a scorpion took residence.  (Usually, when.)  We had such freedom to play and explore back then.  Born in 1939.  We also were able to spend our summers with grandparents in the High Sierras.  Then, the forest was our playground.

I well remember being 8-12 years old and living next to large a large forest in upstate NY. My parents were fine with me making up a bunch of PB&J sandwiches, filling a bag with dog kibble, grabbing a small tarp and a book of matches, and heading off into the woods for several days at a time. The only requirement was that I had to take the family dog with me since they were sure she would come get one of them if needed.

Every summer, my older brother and sister and I were dropped off at our grandmother's small farm for a few weeks as soon as school let out in May, so we could help with planting and repairs. We went there again as well for harvest later on. One thing we really looked forward to while there was being allowed to go swimming in the farm pond after a hot, sweaty day in the fields. The thing we did not look forward to, was Saturday night baths when we all sat around in the coal stove warmed kitchen waiting for our turn in the large galvanized wash tub. As each of us bathed, the next in line would lug and pour the rinse water that was heating on the stove. Grandma, as the oldest, went first, then my brother and sister, leaving me as the youngest for last. Since there was no one following me, grandma brought my rinse water and then the two of us cleaned up the kitchen and hung out the two towels we had all used. Yep, those were the "good ole days"! :)

I still remember that cool fall night (a school night too). With the search lights dancing in the nighttime sky and at exactly 8 pm they unlocked the door at our local Chevrolet dealership and unveiled the all new 1963 Chevrolet Corvette StingRay

My friends and I rode our bikes there hours earlier trying to sneak a look at it through the edges of the covered windows.

got home late,  Mom was mad,  Dad understood.

otherwise I remember 1963 as kind of the end of peace in America.

TonyDtorch said:
I still remember that cool fall night (a school night too). With the search lights dancing in the nighttime sky and at exactly 8 pm they unlocked the door at our local Chevrolet dealership and unveiled the all new 1963 Chevrolet Corvette StingRay

My friends and I rode our bikes there hours earlier trying to sneak a look at it through the edges of the covered windows.

How old were you in 1963, I was 9.

TonyDtorch said:

In August of '63, I finished my tour in Vietnam...

NY_Dutch said:
In August of '63, I finished my tour in Vietnam...

You must have been one of the first.  In July of 63, I started my tour as a Minuteman Launch Control Officer. My crew accepted the first Minuteman I missile site (Delta One) from the Boeing Company at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota. Strangely enough that particular launch control center and one nearby missile site are now National Park Service administered historical sites - the only two left  in that field of 150 missiles and 15 control centers.

Bill

Bill

Bill N said:
You must have been one of the first.  In July of 63, I started my tour as a Minuteman Launch Control Officer. My crew accepted the first Minuteman I missile site (Delta One) from the Boeing Company at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota. Strangely enough that particular launch control center and one nearby missile site are now National Park Service administered historical sites - the only two left  in that field of 150 missiles and 15 control centers.

Bill

Yep, when I first arrived in-country, we were still on "advisor" status, and  weren't supposed to fire at anyone unless we were fired on first. By the time I left 'Nam a year later for what turned into a 30 day leave before being sent back for a second tour, the first big buildup had started, and I joked that they had to send in 100,000 troops to replace me. ;)

According to the Wall...The first American serviceman killed in Vietnam was in 1956. (an Airman E6)

In 1963 there were 118 "advisers" killed as per this...http://thewall-usa.com/summary.asp#year

Glad you made it home Dutch.

In 1963 I was trying to cope with my first grade teacher, Sister Agnes, who really enjoyed drawing blood from the hands of little kids caught counting with their fingers. Her weapon of choice was a metal edged ruler. That bugger sliced like a knife.

TonyDtorch said:
According to the Wall...The first American serviceman killed in Vietnam was in 1956. (an Airman E6)

In 1963 there were 118 "advisers" killed as per this...http://thewall-usa.com/summary.asp#year

Glad you made it home Dutch.

Thanks! Obviously I'm glad as well, Tony. I ended up pulling three back to back tours with only a 30 day leave between them, including a break in '64 when my fiance and I managed to get married in Hawaii with only her mother present to represent the family. 53 years later we still tell people that was the highlight of my time in the service. :)

NY_Dutch said:
Thanks! Obviously I'm glad as well, Tony. I ended up pulling three back to back tours with only a 30 day leave between them, including a break in '64 when my fiance and I managed to get married in Hawaii with only her mother present to represent the family. 53 years later we still tell people that was the highlight of my time in the service. :)

Thank you for your service. How long did you serve?

Boy this has been one heck of a topic.  Filling 4 pages and a myriad of sort of related subjects.  It has swung back and forth from wanting to go back to the old days (or not) to Vietnam war stories and finally back on a good vibe to good old back in the day growing up stories.  I thought for sure it would be a locked topic but it kept swinging back to a positive side and never quite got to the lock up stage (but it could have been several times).  Wonder how much farther it can go now that it's back on positive ground......lol

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom