EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: THE CHILDREN OF THE SILENT GENERATION...  (Read 3325 times)

John Beard

• ---
Re: THE CHILDREN OF THE SILENT GENERATION...
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2017, 05:47:29 AM »
I still remember that cool fall night (a school night too). With the search lights dancing in the nighttime sky and at exactly 8 pm they unlocked the door at our local Chevrolet dealership and unveiled the all new 1963 Chevrolet Corvette StingRay

My friends and I rode our bikes there hours earlier trying to sneak a look at it through the edges of the covered windows.

got home late,  Mom was mad,  Dad understood.

otherwise I remember 1963 as kind of the end of peace in America.

How old were you in 1963, I was 9.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2017, 08:27:11 AM »
I still remember that cool fall night (a school night too). With the search lights dancing in the nighttime sky and at exactly 8 pm they unlocked the door at our local Chevrolet dealership and unveiled the all new 1963 Chevrolet Corvette StingRay

My friends and I rode our bikes there hours earlier trying to sneak a look at it through the edges of the covered windows.

got home late,  Mom was mad,  Dad understood.

otherwise I remember 1963 as kind of the end of peace in America.

In August of '63, I finished my tour in Vietnam...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2017, 08:59:57 AM »
In August of '63, I finished my tour in Vietnam...

You must have been one of the first.  In July of 63, I started my tour as a Minuteman Launch Control Officer. My crew accepted the first Minuteman I missile site (Delta One) from the Boeing Company at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota. Strangely enough that particular launch control center and one nearby missile site are now National Park Service administered historical sites - the only two left  in that field of 150 missiles and 15 control centers.

Bill

Bill
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:04:58 AM by Bill N »
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »
You must have been one of the first.  In July of 63, I started my tour as a Minuteman Launch Control Officer. My crew accepted the first Minuteman I missile site (Delta One) from the Boeing Company at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota. Strangely enough that particular launch control center and one nearby missile site are now National Park Service administered historical sites - the only two left  in that field of 150 missiles and 15 control centers.

Bill

Yep, when I first arrived in-country, we were still on "advisor" status, and  weren't supposed to fire at anyone unless we were fired on first. By the time I left 'Nam a year later for what turned into a 30 day leave before being sent back for a second tour, the first big buildup had started, and I joked that they had to send in 100,000 troops to replace me. ;)
Dutch

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »
According to the Wall...The first American serviceman killed in Vietnam was in 1956. (an Airman E6)

In 1963 there were 118 "advisers" killed as per this...http://thewall-usa.com/summary.asp#year

Glad you made it home Dutch.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:56:59 PM by TonyDtorch »

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »
In 1963 I was trying to cope with my first grade teacher, Sister Agnes, who really enjoyed drawing blood from the hands of little kids caught counting with their fingers. Her weapon of choice was a metal edged ruler. That bugger sliced like a knife.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2017, 08:19:43 PM »
According to the Wall...The first American serviceman killed in Vietnam was in 1956. (an Airman E6)

In 1963 there were 118 "advisers" killed as per this...http://thewall-usa.com/summary.asp#year

Glad you made it home Dutch.

Thanks! Obviously I'm glad as well, Tony. I ended up pulling three back to back tours with only a 30 day leave between them, including a break in '64 when my fiance and I managed to get married in Hawaii with only her mother present to represent the family. 53 years later we still tell people that was the highlight of my time in the service. :)
Dutch

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
Thanks! Obviously I'm glad as well, Tony. I ended up pulling three back to back tours with only a 30 day leave between them, including a break in '64 when my fiance and I managed to get married in Hawaii with only her mother present to represent the family. 53 years later we still tell people that was the highlight of my time in the service. :)

Thank you for your service. How long did you serve?
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
Thank you for your service. How long did you serve?

Thanks, Tony, I appreciate that. I only served 4 years before I was medicaled out despite fighting to stay in. And that's a whole 'nuther story... ;)
Dutch

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »
Boy this has been one heck of a topic.  Filling 4 pages and a myriad of sort of related subjects.  It has swung back and forth from wanting to go back to the old days (or not) to Vietnam war stories and finally back on a good vibe to good old back in the day growing up stories.  I thought for sure it would be a locked topic but it kept swinging back to a positive side and never quite got to the lock up stage (but it could have been several times).  Wonder how much farther it can go now that it's back on positive ground......lol

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
LOL. Yeah, I know what you mean. Until Tom tells me otherwise, I kind of look at The Shade Tree as a place with a bit of leeway. As long as it doesn't get personal or vulgar, most Forum members seem to find it acceptable and enjoy it.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

utahclaimjumper

• ---
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »
 In '63 I was mustering out of USAF and married my bride in '62,,55 years ago.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2017, 01:38:18 AM »
In "63" I was being introduced to military training at Fort Dix, NJ. At 17 there wasn't much they could make me do physically that I couldn't handle. The worst part was listening to others tell stories about what they had just gone through that I had yet to experience. It always sounded much worse than the actual training itself.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »
Born in 1936 for me.

If we could only get rid of the TV news media, (ABC, NBC, CNN and the rest of them) we would be in a lot better shape !

Jack L

We agree Jack L !

FWIW ? We are not Dem or Rep. We are just... Only... American Citizens.

WE have quit watching any Main Stream National News, GMA and the like, and quit our local Paper... about 2 months ago.

Since then, Our Quality Of Life.. seems to be a lot less complicated, less stressful, by not having to figure out what is FACT, what is FAKE, Twisted, Bias, or Sensationalized.

It been quite an Eye Opener.

Life Is Good(er)  :) ;) ;) :D
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

QZ

• ---
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »
Born in 1936 for me.

I remember it all, but I still like today better than yesterday.

If we could only get rid of the TV news media, (ABC, NBC, CNN and the rest of them) we would be in a lot better shape !

Jack L

We just need an unbiased media, one that isn't for or against any party. You know, an entity that would only bring us facts and truth yet how can that happen when ownership of the news media has been concentrated in the hands of just six incredibly powerful media corporations. Because I feel I have found a very friendly RV site I wasn't going to touch on anything controversial but I do believe all of this stuff ties together and we are in for big trouble.  Very big trouble.

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2017, 06:12:29 PM »
The news often makes me angry.  Every time I spend time angry I loose a little of the remaining time that I was saving to be happy.

So I am severely cutting back on The News I watch. It's mostly what they are calling "sponsered news" anyway.

The BBC newscast does a pretty good job of filtering out some of the BS.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »
The rise of news to a 24/7 state is a reason for much of the overkill we see.  In many cases just flat out lies or sensationalism based on anonymous sources.  I have always believed that any worthwhile news organization will only print or put on the air stories that have a factual basis meaning no "unnamed sources" or "anonymous sources".  Of course this would reduce the news to about 15 minutes per day on TV and 3 pages in print.  I tend to try and concentrate on the nonpolitical stuff (i.e., Las Vegas) but even that is turned into political haggling in short order.

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2017, 08:12:59 AM »
The rise of news to a 24/7 state is a reason for much of the overkill we see.  In many cases just flat out lies or sensationalism based on anonymous sources.  I have always believed that any worthwhile news organization will only print or put on the air stories that have a factual basis meaning no "unnamed sources" or "anonymous sources".  Of course this would reduce the news to about 15 minutes per day on TV and 3 pages in print.  I tend to try and concentrate on the nonpolitical stuff (i.e., Las Vegas) but even that is turned into political haggling in short order.

Bill

Yep, never have watched Fox and never will.
Air Force Retired

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2017, 08:31:35 AM »
Having a leader of our country that regularly claims that even verifiable news stories that denigrate his actions are "fake news" doesn't help any. His tweets make great fodder for the nation's comedians though, so I guess they do serve a useful purpose in that respect.
Dutch

Irover

• ---
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
 8) In 1963 I turned 12! I joined the Army in Dec. 1970, went AD in April and came home in March 1974 (too many broken promises and my father with terminal illnesses) Inactive duty until Dec. 1976.
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »
Having a leader of our country that regularly claims that even verifiable news stories that denigrate his actions are "fake news" doesn't help any. His tweets make great fodder for the nation's comedians though, so I guess they do serve a useful purpose in that respect.

Hate to see you turn it political (again) NY Dutch but if you remove the blinders you will see that a great deal of it IS fake news. Just look for the sources and you will see "unnamed sources" or "anonymous sources".  You may choose to accept this kind of source but not me. 
They are being refuted daily.  His tweets are his only way to actually communicate with the public because he will never be heard from people who buy ink by the barrel.  That is my opinion.

Bill
USAF (Ret)
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »
Hate to see you turn it political (again) NY Dutch but if you remove the blinders you will see that a great deal of it IS fake news. Just look for the sources and you will see "unnamed sources" or "anonymous sources".  You may choose to accept this kind of source but not me. 
They are being refuted daily.  His tweets are his only way to actually communicate with the public because he will never be heard from people who buy ink by the barrel.  That is my opinion.

Bill

I feel so bad for the POTUS. He is so misunderstood.
Air Force Retired

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2017, 12:02:39 PM »

Bill

No blinders here, Bill. I did say "verifiable" news. And that has nothing to do with the man's political affiliation, just his mental status...
Dutch

Paul & Ann

• ---
    • Paul and Ann's Great RV Adventure
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »
Hate to see you turn it political (again) NY Dutch but if you remove the blinders you will see that a great deal of it IS fake news. Just look for the sources and you will see "unnamed sources" or "anonymous sources". 

Bill

Reporters live on anonymous sources meaning they know who the source is, but dont tell the public who the source is.  Remember it was an anonymous source, "Deep Throat", that helped bring to light Richard Nixon's shenanigans.
Paul & Ann  Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J
http://stoughrvadventure.blogspot.com/

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2017, 02:13:47 PM »
Yep, never have watched Fox and never will.
The fact that you didn't mention any other news outlets says a lot.

Reporters live on anonymous sources meaning they know who the source is, but dont tell the public who the source is.  Remember it was an anonymous source, "Deep Throat", that helped bring to light Richard Nixon's shenanigans.
Which pales in comparison to today.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »
The fact that you didn't mention any other news outlets says a lot.

Just means I have character. I get free cable TV. The two cable news channels I get are Fox and CNN. I refuse to watch Fox. There is absolutely nothing newsworthy on that network. I watch a couple hours of CNN (Chris Cuomo) in the mornings and if I am up at night a little of Don Lemon. The reason I like those two is they usually do not let guests get away with not answering questions.

I remember growing up there was 30 minutes local news and 30 minutes national news. Walter Cronkite and Huntley & Brinkley. Any other news was gleaned from the newspapers. I remember when all the channels (we had three) went off the air at midnight. I do like that I can get up anytime of the night and watch TV. We have Netflix and Amazon. Some good shows on there.

In 1963 I was 12 years old. That was the year President Kennedy was shot. I remember I was in junior high school. I think 6th grade. Sad time.
Air Force Retired

yolo

• ---
  • You Only Live Once
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »
Back to the Silent Generation...
My big sister got a TV in 1950 and we really had a ball watching it.  :)
Bill Bell -- SW Florida

2009 Coachmen FX21QB Towing 2009 Smart Car
2013 Thor Tuscany 40FX
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2017, 03:28:16 PM »
Thanks yolo. It got a little close to me locking it there.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »
Thanks yolo. It got a little close to me locking it there.

And, I got a little close to asking you to lock it.  ::)   

utahclaimjumper

• ---
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »
 This is the Shade Tree and needent be about RVs,,so,, I very firmly believe this countries constitution should REQUIRE a minimum service to the country from all able bodied persons as Israel does,,to instill a sense of duty, respect, discipline, pride, responsibility for ones actions, and service.....It seems many problems in Israel are created by those that are EXEMPT from this requirement and expect others to do all the work.  As our country ages and the population gets younger,, the problems are coming from this younger
segment of society that have NO SENSE of responsibility to anyone or anything and those that support that position as FREEDOM FROM ANY REQUIREMENT TO EARN IT because they also have never had to earn it.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

Hosted by Over The Network