2015 F53 sway bar issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler1954

Have a Winnebago SunStar 31 BE on a F53 chassis. Now twice the u bolt holding the rear sway bar to the axle housing has broken and been lost . I think the bolts are braking off, both time on the passenger side.My classic is a 18,000 lb and I have done the Cheap handling fix.

Looking for thoughts and fixes.

Spoke with my local Ford Truck dealer this morning. He wouldn't say it was a issue, however the parts are on National Back order. They expect to have parts for my MH by Octember. He also stated there are several ahead of me for the same repair.

How can a part as simple as a U bolt be on back order for two months? There must be alternate sources. Does Ford have a description and specification of the part?

Yes I ask if we could use non Ford parts. They responded that they would not install non Ford part and if non Ford part was used the warranty would be void.

I didn't ask for the part number , I am sure they would. My plan was to have them make the repair and inspect the entire sway bar and they will also replace the bushings and all hardware under warranty

Here it is 9/20/17 and Ford can't provide this way bar replacement parts(hardware and u bracket) still on back order.  I can replace with after market Parts and  loss my warranty.  Ford can't or want tell me if the bolts are grade 8 or 5 they also haven't given me apart number so I can do my own search.

One Ford employee has told me their parts Provider is on strike and they don't know when the parts May be available. At this point I am ready to Tell Ford to stick it and do the job my self with the after market parts.

To be a bit more precise about Magnuson-Moss, he would indeed lose the portion of the warranty that applies to the parts he replaced. The balance of the warranty would remain unaffected.

I bought a slightly used 2012 Winnebago, i realized it had the "cheap handling fix" after I81 in Pennsylvania.
I do not think the handling was improved but the ride was awful. Put it back in the factory settings, ride was better, handling was improved by a good alignment job, still got rid of it a year ago. Ford was not at all appreciative of the "cheap handling fix", and I figure if they build them there is a chance they know more about them than I do.

Probably, Ford, would not be appreciative any chassis add-ons - e.g. Blue Ox or Roadmaster Sway Bars/Track Bars, Safety Steer, Air Springs, After Market Shocks, etc. etc., etc.  Hmmmm.
I like my ride and handling with the CHF, Rear TrackBar and air springs.

My Bounder is on a 2015 F15 Chassis, and I recently had it serviced and the dealer found that the bottom bolt on the u-clamp for the rear sway bar driver's side was missing.  First they thought it was something that Fleetwood installed, but when I showed them the Ford logo on the u-clamp, that changed that tune.  They also thought that the bolt is welded on to the housing under the shock absorber, which also turned out not to be true.  Evidentially they do a tack weld on the nut to keep it in place to secure the u-clamp as the housing prevents the nut from being secured using a wrench when installing the bolt through the clamp.  They also used Lock-Tite.  Anyway, there is a five year warranty on this chassis, so they replaced the clamp and bolt at no charge.  Don't know where you are, but the clamp and bolt was readily available that day in Boyertown, PA.  I went on the Bounder Forum to see if anyone else had this was a problem and got no response.  Getting ready for a month or so trip, so will be keeping an eye on it.  Is there a Ford F-53 Forum?  Following are the part numbers for the sway bar items that were replaced.  Don't know if they are the dealer part number or Ford.  1C3Z*54868AA - BRACKET;  9U9Z*5493*A - INSULATOR ASY (BUSHING);  N605815*8439 - BOLT;  W703214*S309 - BOLT - HEX HEAD;  W703217*S440 - NUT.  Hope this info helps.

Back
Top Bottom