2018 Georgetown XL - top speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseyscuts

So maybe a little too late to ask... but I just bought a new RV on Friday, the Forest River Georgetown XL.  My first Class A.  Always had a 5th wheel.  Went to take it home on Saturday, and couldn't go over 65mph without it swaying all over the road.  I've never felt so unsafe behind the wheel.  I've driven all types of box trucks with all types of chassis', 5th wheels, other trailers, freightliner chassis rv, etc.  I guess I should have done the test drive, but never in a million years did I expect this.  Is this normal?  I can't even go the speed limit on the highway?  Absolutely no control whatsoever at high speed.  I already brought back to dealership.  They say that they are going to check alignment and see if they can 'tighten' anything to make it better.  But I have a bad feeling that this is just 'salesman' talk.  Any input at this point would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

It sounds like the tires are over inflated usually by someone who inflated the tires to the maximum inflation listed on the sidewall. You should get your rig weighed and then use the tire manufacturers chart to determine correct pressure.

Tire inlfation pressure is the place to start. There will be a placard by the driver eat showing the RV manufacturers recommendation, but that will be for a fully loaded coach. May still be high for a lightly loaded one. RV dealers, however, too often inflate to the max load pressure shown on the tire sidewall, whether necessary or not. That can lead to very poor handling. So can under-inflated tires.

That said, it's a top heavy vehicle and won't handle like your trucks, trailer or no. Should be decent at 65 mph on straight roads, though. Not so good in any sort of curves.

As an example, the placard on my coach said 115 lbs. in the front tires. After some trial and error, I felt dialed in at 107 lbs. Much better handllng at that pressure.

Bill

Tire pressures can make a HUGE difference! Before I set mine the the correct pressures, the coach handled terrible. Oversteered on curves, unstable at higher speeds, you get the picture. Dropping the drive tires from 110 to 95 psi made all the difference in the world! Steer tires stayed at 110.

Now the coach is stable and easy to drive. No "white knuckles" for me!

Try to work with alignment and tire pressure, but if you looked in the internet you will find that Class A and Class C have problems with the way the handle highways speeds.  That is why many people have added steering dampers, stronger sway bars, trac bars, better shock absorbers, etc., all in an effort to get better handling.

are your tires even rated to go over 65 mph ?  many are not.

Slow down....  here is dash cam video of a tire blowout on a motorhome doing 65+ mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkLeljt4t0

SeilerBird said:
It sounds like the tires are over inflated usually by someone who inflated the tires to the maximum inflation listed on the sidewall. You should get your rig weighed and then use the tire manufacturers chart to determine correct pressure.
Also new tires have an uneasy feel until they are scuffed. Sometimes this takes several thousand miles.

Agree with Tony, speed limits are lower for trucks. And that is a truck chassis and running gear you are driving.

TonyDtorch said:
are your tires even rated to go over 65 mph ?  many are not.

Slow down....  here is dash cam video of a tire blowout on a motorhome doing 65+ mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkLeljt4t0
Video looks like a professional stunt driver to me.

Back
Top Bottom