Painting or removing fake gold trim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YouGoGurl

I just bought a 2000 Tioga and am getting ready to remodel. I want to get rid of the hideous fake gold trim around the dinette and other places. Seriously, who decorates these things? They all look like they were designed in the 80s by someone's grandma. Can I paint over the trim or will I have to remove it? I searched topics but didn't see anything super conclusive. Some said Kilz will work. Anyone have firsthand experience with this? Thanks!

Is the "Fake" gold trim about ?" wide?

If it is, I would think you could paint over it with a small brush but it would take a steady hand and/or a lot of time taping off
all the areas you don't want paint on.

Might want to clean the surface with alcohol first so the paint will stick.  I would use either oil based paint or acrylic paint instead of latex.
It more than likely will require at least 2 coats.

I'm going to paint the whole thing white inside. The trim is probably an inch wide around the dinette. I may just have to remove it and sand down whatever is under it.

The molding around the table top and possibly the counter tops is very likely a vinyl Tee molding, something like this stuff. It would be much easier to replace it than to try and paint it. You will spend more on psychiatry bills after painting than you will on new molding.

it might be easier and look better if you bought some white or accent colored vinyl tape the same width.... and cover it. 

My 1994 Tioga came with brass latches and some fake brass rectangular  inserts in the cabinet faces.

Recently we painted over all the cabinet and drawer faces. I left the fake gold/fake brass trim stuck in there, but sanded it up so it was rough enough to let the paint adhere.

Now it just looks like molding around the cabinet. I am thrilled to see it gone or rather hidden in plain view.

We used spray paint right out of the can. We were in a campground and doing 1-2 doors or drawers (outside) at a time so as not to make a scene.

I have one of those pop up showers, so we kind of turned it into a spray painting booth. Worked beautifully.

Attachments

• cabinet paint 1.jpg
    cabinet paint 1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 38
  • cabinet paint 2.jpg
    cabinet paint 2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 37

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501