EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Washer / Dryer - Is the Convenience Worth It  (Read 1140 times)

ppet

• ---
Washer / Dryer - Is the Convenience Worth It
« on: August 13, 2017, 09:51:17 PM »
Haven't purchased our first MH yet but hopefully within the next year.  I'm considering either a used Tiffin 36LA or 31SA.  Floor plans are very similar but the 36LA includes the extra 1/2 bath (which I don't care about) and can have a combo W/D. 

Only me and the wife will be using the MH.  We are adventure and site seekers vs true stay in place and camp so the MH will be a means to see other parts of the country.

So the advantage of the W/D is obviously the convenience.  Other than obviously another piece of equipment that can fail and needs to be maintained, what are the disadvantages???

Would value feedback from individuals who have W/D and also those that manage without it.
Phil Petraglia
Pittsburgh, PA

considering used Tiffin Allegro 36LA

ArdraF

• ---
Re: Washer / Dryer - Is the Convenience Worth It
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 09:59:34 PM »
If you use the Search button (above left) and search on the word Splendide you'll find numerous comments, including pros and cons, and most of us love them.  By the way, Splendide is the most common RV washer/dryer combination that washes and then dries in the same unit.  Can you manage without one?  Yes, of course.  But if you hate going to Laundromats, then you'll want one.  We also are a couple and travel more than stay in one place and it's really nice not to need to search for a place to wash clothes.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 10:00:28 PM »
The problem I have with doing laundry in campgrounds or coin-op places is my sensitivity to a lot of the "fragrance" and other additives in the detergents other people use. I don't full time, and the longest I've been camping is 12 nights, so I don't need my own washer/dryer... yet. When I do retire and start leaving the sticks-n-bricks for a month or more, I will want some way of washing my clothes that will allow me to control what gets saturated in them.

And then there was the one time a couple used a washer where the previous user had used RIT dye. Oh boy, where they mad!
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 10:05:30 PM »
We've loved the Splendide combo washer/dryer in our coach and the one in our boat. There are some limitations, but for two people the convenience is unbeatable.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:17:42 PM »
Depends.  Is there something more important you'd want to do with the space?  How much do you dislike laundromats? 

We have a combo washer/dryer.  It takes forever and leaves clothes wrinkled like you wouldn't believe.  So if you have a choice get a stacker.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:18:40 PM »
It takes forever and leaves clothes wrinkled like you wouldn't believe.

That's a problem if you fill it too full and then fully dry them.  I take things like shirts out damp and hang them to finish drying so they don't wrinkle.  I also sometimes wash a full load and divide it to dry in two loads.  There are ways to avoid wrinkling which is part of the learning curve for combination washer/dryers.

ArdraF
ArdraF

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 12:29:39 AM »
We full time and don't have a washer dryer combo. We prefer to use the space for storage. In four years we've only use a laundromat outside of a campground once. We use a campground laundry every 7-10 days for about two hours.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 12:37:12 AM »
Quote from: ArdraF
There are ways to avoid wrinkling which is part of the learning curve for combination washer/dryers.

Aye Ardra. We had a combo W/D at home in the UK the late 60's/early 70's. Back in the day they were made in Italy by a company called Indesit, the company that pioneered thin-walled refrigerators. They still make combo W/Ds, fridges, and other appliances to this day.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:40:33 AM by Tom »

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:55 AM »
We fulltimed for 5 years without a washer/dryer because Sue wanted  the extra closet space.

For the past 5 years we have had a Splendide in our current RV and she would not be without one.

john owens

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 02:15:13 AM »
Our rig came with the washer/dryer stacked on top of each other. In my retirement years I find myself having a rather limited wardrobe by choice. Maybe 5 pairs of shorts ten pair of boxers and the same amount of tee shirts. Space is limited as we all know so wearing and washing go hand in hand with us. What a luxury to do laundry while camping whenever you get the urge! Mostly while using hookups because of water usuage, but every once in a while while boondocking to. The old days of a bag of worn clothing waititng to be washed at home is gone forever!!! Love it!
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 05:19:42 AM »
I full timed for ten years and had one for one year. I hated it, small capacity and wrinkle. Uses way too much water, electricity and sewage, gotta be hooked up.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

JackL

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 05:23:14 AM »
We are snowbirds and just got our washer and dryer last wnter.
We love it and now never again have to suffer smelling other peoples laundry detergent.

Jack L

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 06:59:35 AM »
When Wife and I purchased this motor home they offered us a Washer Dryer.. We considered how much it cost.  the average lifetime, and the number of loads of wash my wife does every period of time and came to the conclusion that it was, at best, a break even option.. So we said "NO THANK YOU".

Now the advantage is you can do laundry "In house" and not have to go to the laundry... But the offset is if you have a diesel you should be OK but with my Gasser.. That would leave me with basically a ham sandwich as my Cargo Carrying Capacity.   A gallon of milk would put me over.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 07:17:31 AM »
We fulltimed for 6 years. Our 5th wheel had hookups for a W/D but we opted to use the space for storage. We would go to a laundrymat and get the weeks worth of laundry done in just a couple of hours. It's a personal choice.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »
Tara didn't think she wanted one; I differed and we got one. Now you would have to pry her cold dead hands off it.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

donn

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 07:52:41 AM »
WOW!  If a 200 pound washer/dryer puts you over loaded you have far bigger issues to deal with.  We have had our current washer in our fiver for 10 years.  Other than a broken latch it has worked flawlessly.  Yes, they wash and dry small loads.  Yes, they take time, yes, there heavy, yes they consume water.  On the flip side, we do not have to go to some dingy dirty laundrymat once or twice a week, pay several dollars, and wait two hours to do a load of wash.  We normally put a load in first thing in the morning and a second load in the afternoon.  Since it washes and dries all in one setting there is no need to check on it for several hours, so we are gone doing fun stuff instead of sitting watching our clothes so someone does not steal them. We normally do laundry every other day, so dirty clothes storage is quite small.  If you decide to get one, be sure to get a vented model.  Ventless models basically boil the clothes semi dry.  They are much slower and use more water.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 08:03:17 AM »
It is indeed a personal choice and a tradeoff with storage space. We've never fulltimed, so I can't speak for a fulltimers' needs, but have spent 3-6 months in the coach or on the boat on multiple occasions. Needing full hookups is a reality if doing much laundry in the coach, but we only ever had an electric hookup on the boat (larger fresh water tank, and grey water is pumped overboard).

As Donn mentioned, there's a difference between vented and non-vented combo washer dryers. The non-vented uses large amounts of fresh water (and time) to achieve drying.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 08:07:31 AM »
A friend who has half timed in his coach and half time on his boat for a number of years has a non-vented W/D in his boat. His clothes are 'wash and wear', which presumably eases concerns about wrinkling and possibly limits required drying time. Since such clothes typically contain a high percentage of polyester or other synthetic, they don't work for me.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 08:16:59 AM »
A friend who has half timed in his coach and half time on his boat for a number of years has a non-vented W/D in his boat. His clothes are 'wash and wear', which presumably eases concerns about wrinkling and possibly limits required drying time. Since such clothes typically contain a high percentage of polyester or other synthetic, they don't work for me.

In my case all clothes are wash and wear. We have an iron and ironing board somewhere in the house. Sure the wife knows where it is. When I was active duty AF I loved the BDU's (battle dress uniforms). If for some reason I didn't have a clean pair I could grab a pair out of the laundry, spritz with water and throw n the dryer for 10 minutes. Good as new.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »
IMO it's a space tradeoff. Convenience of having a w/d handy vs whatever else you might put in that space. On a 36 ft coach, the space hit is very noticeable. Not so much on a 40 footer.

Some people hate laundromats in general or feel that campground laundries are inadequate. If you are one of those, the answer is simple.

We really enjoyed the convenience and had the space. Your opinion is your own.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 08:34:02 AM »
Quote from: Oldgator73
I didn't have a clean pair I could grab a pair out of the laundry, spritz with water and throw n the dryer for 10 minutes. Good as new.

Good point.

Your message reminded me of a friend who used to fly search and rescue in the US Coast Guard. His wife told me that, when he went on a 30-day deployment, he'd make a few pairs of underwear last the entire time; 4 days on a single pair - front, back, inside and out.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:06:17 AM by Tom »

malexander

• ---
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »
We didn't have w/d in the first 5 RVs. When we bought the current MH, it had one, so we thought we'd  try it out one day.

Well, long story short...............we'll never have another RV without it. It's WAY too convenient.

We found we don't need the storage space it takes up because we take/pack about 1/3 the amount of clothes, towels, etc.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:42:34 PM by malexander »
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Venterra

johnaye

• ---
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 10:11:46 PM »
It depends on your life style.  A WD is a go/no go for my wife.  No WD, no buy.
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2008 Honda CRV

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 11:06:51 PM »
My wife loves ours and has yet to have any issues. Fingers crossed.
John

2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 04:27:07 AM »
I've also said my wife love's her so much that if she had to make a choice between me or the combo, she's have to think about it.   :o ::) :'(
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ppet

• ---
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 09:49:39 PM »
Thank you everybody for your feedback and comments.  Like so many things in life, what's right for one person is not right for another. No right or wrong answers.  I truly value your feedback as I go down the road towards the purchase of our first RV.
Phil Petraglia
Pittsburgh, PA

considering used Tiffin Allegro 36LA

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 01:38:45 PM »
We have a Splendide combo unit in our coach.   It usually sits unused on trips that are 7-10 days in length.  When we're living out of the coach for longer stretches - it gets used regularly.  Having the washer/dryer doesn't completely eliminate the need to use the laundromat.  The capacity of the Splendide pretty much rules out doing towels and/or bedding in it.   We typically do a load of clothes every 2-3 days and visit the laundromat every 3-4 weeks to do towels and bedding.  Having the ability to keep up with washing clothes without having to dedicate time to making a laundromat trip is nice.   It also means that we're rarely in a position where there's any sort of urgent need squeeze in a laundromat trip.   We're happy that we have the Splendide
The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »
We have a Splendide combo unit in our coach.   It usually sits unused on trips that are 7-10 days in length.  When we're living out of the coach for longer stretches - it gets used regularly.  Having the washer/dryer doesn't completely eliminate the need to use the laundromat.  The capacity of the Splendide pretty much rules out doing towels and/or bedding in it.   We typically do a load of clothes every 2-3 days and visit the laundromat every 3-4 weeks to do towels and bedding.  Having the ability to keep up with washing clothes without having to dedicate time to making a laundromat trip is nice.   It also means that we're rarely in a position where there's any sort of urgent need squeeze in a laundromat trip.   We're happy that we have the Splendide

I must disagree with your comment about what can or cannot be washed in the combo unit. My wife has successfully washed towels and bedding on every trip we have made. We are presently in the middle of a three week vacation and she has already done towels twice and bedding once. If you wait 3-4 weeks to do your towels and bedding, you must pack an awful lot. I certainly hope you don't sleep on the same sheets for four weeks without washing them.

The quantity you can wash in one load is limited, I agree. But my wife loads shirts and two towels in one load, saying she simply doesn't load the unit to more than half full. She can get both top and bottom sheets (short queen) in one load without a problem. Now, I wouldn't even think of doing the comforter in our unit, but a light blanket is of no concern.

We have made several long trips in our coach along with many short ones of one to two weeks since getting the Splendide and we have yet to stop at a laundromat. She usually begins doing laundry on the first day we have arrived at a destination where we are going to stay for a few days or longer and will do one or two loads every day or other day. It can be difficult keeping up with the laundry if you are doing a lot outside of the coach when on vacation but she has never had a problem.
John

2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »
The capacity of the Splendide pretty much rules out doing towels and/or bedding in it.

That's certainly news to me!  I just did a load of towels yesterday.  It was one beach towel, two bath towels, two hand towels, two wash cloths, and another odd bath towel.  I started the load before we went exploring and it was dry when we returned.  Also, I can wash a set of sheets (top and bottom), two pillow cases and two zipper pillow cases.  I've even washed a mattress pad in it.  Where did you ever get the idea that you can't do towels or bedding in the Splendide?  These machines are made by an Italian company that originally made them for small European apartments.  About the only thing I don't wash in mine is a comforter because it's just too big and easier to do at home.

Added edit.  It occurred to me that people who have those nice thick towels might not be able to put as many in.  The beach towel is older and thinner than the new ones.  Even so, you should be able to do a couple of towels and washcloths in one wash load.

ArdraF
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 03:36:36 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF

blw2

• ---
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
I'd guess that if we had one we would use it a lot!
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Hosted by Over The Network