EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Washer / Dryer - Is the Convenience Worth It  (Read 1136 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Washer / Dryer - Is the Convenience Worth It
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »
Although we're fans of both our Splendide W/Ds, if we didn't have one in the coach, we could have a full-width rear closet, which I would imagine we'd really enjoy if we were fulltiming.

FWIW I made up for any shortage of drawer storage in the bedroom by installing 2 x 2 drawers (4 total) below the hanging clothes in the rear closet. I initially installed Rubbermaid type drawers, and subsequently replaced them with custom wood drawer units. They had to be removable because one of our engine access hatches is in the floor of that closet.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

West coast Rob

• ---
  • Be kind to one another, please.
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 10:53:11 PM »
I've got the space and hook ups for it.  I was wondering if you could get it through the side door.
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 37B
Toad 2015 Fiesta sedan

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2017, 12:30:54 AM »

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2017, 04:24:27 AM »
My Motorhome came with a ventless Splendide combo unit.

I only used it a very few times because it took so long and the clothes were wrinkled when they came out.

I am sure that I was doing something wrong, but I did not think it was worth using.

A couple of years ago when I was installing the Solar equipment I ran the wiring and controllers down into the cabinet where the washer was located.  I ended up giving the unit to the guys at Discount Solar in Quartzsite.  The winter workers there wanted it for the staff that boondocked at the store and they used it to do overnight loads of wash in the shop.

It came out thru the entrance door without any problem.

The cabinet where the washer had been located became four large drawers of storage.

I would in all probability been happy with a stacked unit that was vented and separate.

My advice would be that it you get one be sure to get stacked or at the very least vented units.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:37:16 AM by HueyPilotVN »
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
34' Stacker Trailer, Trailer Toad
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
I've got the space and hook ups for it.  I was wondering if you could get it through the side door.

Yes, it will fit. When we bought our coach, the dealer took out the one that came with the coach and we demanded they install a new one in its place. No problem.

My Motorhome came with a ventless Splendide combo unit.

I only used it a very few times because it took so long and the clothes were wrinkled when they came out.

I am sure that I was doing something wrong, but I did not think it was worth using.

A couple of years ago when I was installing the Solar equipment I ran the wiring and controllers down into the cabinet where the washer was located.  I ended up giving the unit to the guys at Discount Solar in Quartzsite.  The winter workers there wanted it for the staff that boondocked at the store and they used it to do overnight loads of wash in the shop.

It came out thru the entrance door without any problem.

The cabinet where the washer had been located became four large drawers of storage.

I would in all probability been happy with a stacked unit that was vented and separate.

My advice would be that it you get one be sure to get stacked or at the very least vented units.

It has been well documented that the ventless units are not as efficient as the vented. I would not buy a ventless unit.
John

2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J

johnaye

• ---
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »
I have had both types.  Vented is much better, although not as good as a house unit with separate washer and dryer.
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2008 Honda CRV

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »
Those who called my "issue" about washing bedding and towels in a Splendide are absolutely correct in that if you limit the load size - you can wash anything.  In our case - doing bedding would translate to 2 loads (one for sheets and pillowcases, and one for the blanket).   The blanket (which is designed for a king sized bed) would push the load limit of the Splendide.   Towels are much the same ... two loads ... one for bath towels, one for all the hand towels, dish towels and wash rags.  Yes, technically it is possible to wash it all in the Splendide. 

Rather than splitting them into loads sized appropriately for the Splendide's small basket - we prefer to strip the bed, grab ALL the dirty linen and ALL the dirty towels - and hit the laundromat and knock it all out at once.   Given the extra bedding linens and towels we carry - we've got enough "cruising range" that we can comfortable go 3-4 weeks between laundromat visits.   We prefer that approach over constantly doing tiny loads in the Splendide.   For clothes ... we're happy with the Splendide.   Obviously, everybody ends up figuring out what they're most comfortable with. 

The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »
When aboard our boat in salt water, we use a lot of large towels, both on the deck and for wiping down the boat after rinsing the salt off. The on-board Splendide can't handle this huge load, and we use a marina laundry.

Hosted by Over The Network