Washer / Dryer - Is the Convenience Worth It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=Oldgator73]I didn't have a clean pair I could grab a pair out of the laundry, spritz with water and throw n the dryer for 10 minutes. Good as new.[/quote]

Good point.

Your message reminded me of a friend who used to fly search and rescue in the US Coast Guard. His wife told me that, when he went on a 30-day deployment, he'd make a few pairs of underwear last the entire time; 4 days on a single pair - front, back, inside and out.

We didn't have w/d in the first 5 RVs. When we bought the current MH, it had one, so we thought we'd  try it out one day.

Well, long story short...............we'll never have another RV without it. It's WAY too convenient.

We found we don't need the storage space it takes up because we take/pack about 1/3 the amount of clothes, towels, etc.

It depends on your life style.  A WD is a go/no go for my wife.  No WD, no buy.

I've also said my wife love's her so much that if she had to make a choice between me or the combo, she's have to think about it.  :eek: ::) :'(

Thank you everybody for your feedback and comments.  Like so many things in life, what's right for one person is not right for another. No right or wrong answers.  I truly value your feedback as I go down the road towards the purchase of our first RV.

We have a Splendide combo unit in our coach.  It usually sits unused on trips that are 7-10 days in length.  When we're living out of the coach for longer stretches - it gets used regularly.  Having the washer/dryer doesn't completely eliminate the need to use the laundromat.  The capacity of the Splendide pretty much rules out doing towels and/or bedding in it.  We typically do a load of clothes every 2-3 days and visit the laundromat every 3-4 weeks to do towels and bedding.  Having the ability to keep up with washing clothes without having to dedicate time to making a laundromat trip is nice.  It also means that we're rarely in a position where there's any sort of urgent need squeeze in a laundromat trip.  We're happy that we have the Splendide

spacenorman said:
We have a Splendide combo unit in our coach.  It usually sits unused on trips that are 7-10 days in length.  When we're living out of the coach for longer stretches - it gets used regularly.  Having the washer/dryer doesn't completely eliminate the need to use the laundromat.  The capacity of the Splendide pretty much rules out doing towels and/or bedding in it.  We typically do a load of clothes every 2-3 days and visit the laundromat every 3-4 weeks to do towels and bedding.  Having the ability to keep up with washing clothes without having to dedicate time to making a laundromat trip is nice.  It also means that we're rarely in a position where there's any sort of urgent need squeeze in a laundromat trip.  We're happy that we have the Splendide

I must disagree with your comment about what can or cannot be washed in the combo unit. My wife has successfully washed towels and bedding on every trip we have made. We are presently in the middle of a three week vacation and she has already done towels twice and bedding once. If you wait 3-4 weeks to do your towels and bedding, you must pack an awful lot. I certainly hope you don't sleep on the same sheets for four weeks without washing them.

The quantity you can wash in one load is limited, I agree. But my wife loads shirts and two towels in one load, saying she simply doesn't load the unit to more than half full. She can get both top and bottom sheets (short queen) in one load without a problem. Now, I wouldn't even think of doing the comforter in our unit, but a light blanket is of no concern.

We have made several long trips in our coach along with many short ones of one to two weeks since getting the Splendide and we have yet to stop at a laundromat. She usually begins doing laundry on the first day we have arrived at a destination where we are going to stay for a few days or longer and will do one or two loads every day or other day. It can be difficult keeping up with the laundry if you are doing a lot outside of the coach when on vacation but she has never had a problem.

The capacity of the Splendide pretty much rules out doing towels and/or bedding in it.

That's certainly news to me!  I just did a load of towels yesterday.  It was one beach towel, two bath towels, two hand towels, two wash cloths, and another odd bath towel.  I started the load before we went exploring and it was dry when we returned.  Also, I can wash a set of sheets (top and bottom), two pillow cases and two zipper pillow cases.  I've even washed a mattress pad in it.  Where did you ever get the idea that you can't do towels or bedding in the Splendide?  These machines are made by an Italian company that originally made them for small European apartments.  About the only thing I don't wash in mine is a comforter because it's just too big and easier to do at home.

Added edit.  It occurred to me that people who have those nice thick towels might not be able to put as many in.  The beach towel is older and thinner than the new ones.  Even so, you should be able to do a couple of towels and washcloths in one wash load.

ArdraF

Although we're fans of both our Splendide W/Ds, if we didn't have one in the coach, we could have a full-width rear closet, which I would imagine we'd really enjoy if we were fulltiming.

FWIW I made up for any shortage of drawer storage in the bedroom by installing 2 x 2 drawers (4 total) below the hanging clothes in the rear closet. I initially installed Rubbermaid type drawers, and subsequently replaced them with custom wood drawer units. They had to be removable because one of our engine access hatches is in the floor of that closet.

Here are the specs: http://splendide.com/compare_specs.htm

My Motorhome came with a ventless Splendide combo unit.

I only used it a very few times because it took so long and the clothes were wrinkled when they came out.

I am sure that I was doing something wrong, but I did not think it was worth using.

A couple of years ago when I was installing the Solar equipment I ran the wiring and controllers down into the cabinet where the washer was located.  I ended up giving the unit to the guys at Discount Solar in Quartzsite.  The winter workers there wanted it for the staff that boondocked at the store and they used it to do overnight loads of wash in the shop.

It came out thru the entrance door without any problem.

The cabinet where the washer had been located became four large drawers of storage.

I would in all probability been happy with a stacked unit that was vented and separate.

My advice would be that it you get one be sure to get stacked or at the very least vented units.

West coast Rob said:
I've got the space and hook ups for it.  I was wondering if you could get it through the side door.

Yes, it will fit. When we bought our coach, the dealer took out the one that came with the coach and we demanded they install a new one in its place. No problem.

HueyPilotVN said:
My Motorhome came with a ventless Splendide combo unit.

I only used it a very few times because it took so long and the clothes were wrinkled when they came out.

I am sure that I was doing something wrong, but I did not think it was worth using.

A couple of years ago when I was installing the Solar equipment I ran the wiring and controllers down into the cabinet where the washer was located.  I ended up giving the unit to the guys at Discount Solar in Quartzsite.  The winter workers there wanted it for the staff that boondocked at the store and they used it to do overnight loads of wash in the shop.

It came out thru the entrance door without any problem.

The cabinet where the washer had been located became four large drawers of storage.

I would in all probability been happy with a stacked unit that was vented and separate.

My advice would be that it you get one be sure to get stacked or at the very least vented units.

It has been well documented that the ventless units are not as efficient as the vented. I would not buy a ventless unit.

I have had both types.  Vented is much better, although not as good as a house unit with separate washer and dryer.

Those who called my "issue" about washing bedding and towels in a Splendide are absolutely correct in that if you limit the load size - you can wash anything.  In our case - doing bedding would translate to 2 loads (one for sheets and pillowcases, and one for the blanket).  The blanket (which is designed for a king sized bed) would push the load limit of the Splendide.  Towels are much the same ... two loads ... one for bath towels, one for all the hand towels, dish towels and wash rags.  Yes, technically it is possible to wash it all in the Splendide. 

Rather than splitting them into loads sized appropriately for the Splendide's small basket - we prefer to strip the bed, grab ALL the dirty linen and ALL the dirty towels - and hit the laundromat and knock it all out at once.  Given the extra bedding linens and towels we carry - we've got enough "cruising range" that we can comfortable go 3-4 weeks between laundromat visits.  We prefer that approach over constantly doing tiny loads in the Splendide.  For clothes ... we're happy with the Splendide.  Obviously, everybody ends up figuring out what they're most comfortable with. 

When aboard our boat in salt water, we use a lot of large towels, both on the deck and for wiping down the boat after rinsing the salt off. The on-board Splendide can't handle this huge load, and we use a marina laundry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom