Shore power/ 12v accessories run the batteries down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcnally351

So I have  an 02 holiday rambler "vacationer".  My problem is that I am plugged into a 20amp shore power and all the 120v circuits works fine but all the lights and other 12v accessories will only work off the battery.  I do have an inverter which is plugged in and I believe also charges the batteries.  I don't think it is working and need to test it.  The rv has a smart voltage board that senses the draw of the power being used.  The rv is 20/30/50 amp compatible. 

So I need to start the truck up and charges the house batt with the alternator just to keep the lights working.  Is this bc I do t have enough power at shore Power?  The inverter is an Inteli Power 9100.  Model no pd9160a.  Also I do have the chassis disconnect on and the house disconnect on.  Also all the brackets are on and fuses all look good.

Any help will be much appreciated

The Inteli Power PD9160a is a converter, not an inverter. It's purpose is to provide 12V DC by converting 120VAC (shore power). Your symptoms indicate the converter is not providing the charge voltage/current necessary to keep the batteries charged while you are connected to shore power.

Here is a link to a troubleshooting guide from Progressive.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/troubleshooting_pwr_con.html

Possible causes:
1. No AC voltage getting to the converter - check circuit breakers by switching EACH one off then on to insure you have reset a tripped breaker.

2. Check the converter for a blown battery reversal fuse (see troubleshooting guide).

3. Bad converter.

Good Luck

THe 9160 is usually a good reliable converter. I have a 9180 (Same family big brother) and it has worked fantastic for the last 12 years except..... When I accidently pull the plug (Mine is a plug in model) then, as you might guess, it does not work.

NOTE  There are fuses in or on the converter itself, you should have 2 30 amp (I have 3) they need to be replaced AT THE SAME TIME and unplug from shore power before removing them if they are blown.

Finally.. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CHARGE WIZARD.. Get one and plug it in (There is a jaci on the 9160 for it).  Major improvement.. THe 9100 with optional charge wizard, or the other models of Progressive Dynamics Intella-power converters WITH Wizard either built in or plugged in are the very best converters for RV use with Flooded Wet cells BAR NONE.  For Maintenance free battery types they are still very good.. My batteries lasted 9 years with abuse.

Also I do have the chassis disconnect on and the house disconnect on.

It might depend on your definition of "ON" as many of these units will not permit charging of the battery if left in the "storage position".
Some are marked "Store" and "Use" which , IMHO, gives a better indicator of their use.

Start by checking the voltage where the PD 9160 output wires connect to the rest of the system. Should be showing 13.3 or more volts whenever the RV is connected to shore power. Sounds like it is not, so from there try to determine why. Lack of 120v into the PD 9160 is one possibility. Blown reverse polarity fuses on the PD is another.

If the PD is not wired direct to the battery terminals, check the path to the battery.

regval said:
The Inteli Power PD9160a is a converter, not an inverter. It's purpose is to provide 12V DC by converting 120VAC (shore power). Your symptoms indicate the converter is not providing the charge voltage/current necessary to keep the batteries charged while you are connected to shore power.

Here is a link to a troubleshooting guide from Progressive.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/troubleshooting_pwr_con.html

Possible causes:
1. No AC voltage getting to the converter - check circuit breakers by switching EACH one off then on to insure you have reset a tripped breaker.

2. Check the converter for a blown battery reversal fuse (see troubleshooting guide).

3. Bad converter.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.  I will start with this link for the troubleshooting .  fuses were both good thanks for the start

John From Detroit said:
THe 9160 is usually a good reliable converter. I have a 9180 (Same family big brother) and it has worked fantastic for the last 12 years except..... When I accidently pull the plug (Mine is a plug in model) then, as you might guess, it does not work.

NOTE  There are fuses in or on the converter itself, you should have 2 30 amp (I have 3) they need to be replaced AT THE SAME TIME and unplug from shore power before removing them if they are blown.

Finally.. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CHARGE WIZARD.. Get one and plug it in (There is a jaci on the 9160 for it).  Major improvement.. THe 9100 with optional charge wizard, or the other models of Progressive Dynamics Intella-power converters WITH Wizard either built in or plugged in are the very best converters for RV use with Flooded Wet cells BAR NONE.  For Maintenance free battery types they are still very good.. My batteries lasted 9 years with abuse.

I will check out this charge wizard, sounds like it's pretty popular upgrade?  I checked the fuses, will check again.  I plan on bring my voltmeter down with me next weekend when I go back.  Thanks for the info!,

Alfa38User said:
It might depend on your definition of "ON" as many of these units will not permit charging of the battery if left in the "storage position".
Some are marked "Store" and "Use" which , IMHO, gives a better indicator of their use.
i checked the manual on the rv, it recommends both the chassis switch and house switch to be left in the on position when plugged into shore power to charge batteries with the converter.  Thanks for the reply

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Start by checking the voltage where the PD 9160 output wires connect to the rest of the system. Should be showing 13.3 or more volts whenever the RV is connected to shore power. Sounds like it is not, so from there try to determine why. Lack of 120v into the PD 9160 is one possibility. Blown reverse polarity fuses on the PD is another.

If the PD is not wired direct to the battery terminals, check the path to the battery.
Makes sense,  I will be checking the voltage on the output of the box it is a plug in style and is getting power but I will see what the output is with the meter Thanks a lot for the help

Back
Top Bottom