Traveling from Montana to Newport, Oregon, would like to avoid Portland??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Heading from Montana to Oregon Coast after Labor day, have driven it many times, Interstate all the way, but never pulling our travel trailer.  Since our town does NOT even have a stop light we like to avoid cities.. Have driven thru Salt Lake area... but really prefer to avoid, and Portland, I believe is bigger than Salt Lake... maybe not...

Suggestions on highways to go.. Anyone driven on 395 from Pendelton, Oregon, down to 20 to Salem, and over to coast???? I drove it 15 years ago, but not pulling a camper..... and don't remember what 20 was like. Or best to take 205 and avoid most of Portland traffic. Or Maybe 197 out of Dalles, go south. We can decide what time to go thru, no hurry... just looking at our options.

thanks!

PS I know you guys/gals drive those 44' motor homes everywhere... take kindness on our little 26', we are still newbies!

I use highway 20 regularly. It's a great little highway, two lanes most all the way. Scenic, A bit curvy in places, but nothing for a 26 footer. It's route through cities is well marked. There are several place along the way that are well worth stopping to visit. A lot of the area along highway 395 is open land, with many miles between civilization; just two lane highway as far the eye can see. make sure you stay well stocked on gasoline and water.

Don't take highway 22 through Salem - It's a mess. always. Bad enough for some that know the route, but for anyone from outside the area, a pilot service is almost needed.

highway 97 to  Redmond, then west on 20 to the coast is a very good route. Solid two lane highway, very little city to drive through, and spectacular views along the way.

HTH

Mike

i go 22 through salem as my preferred route to the coast several times a year in my 40 footer with toad no problem. i avoid early morning and after 2:30 in the afternoon. it is well marked and lots of cars.rvs and trucks use it every day.
if you are not in a hurry 26 is more scenic than 20 but move curves and a little longer. both are good roads get you to the same place.
portland traffic is atrocious and i think its on par with slc.

I would take 20. With all due respect to beaverfever, I hate driving 22 thru Salem. It is frequently choked with traffic.

Ha... I am driving a Nebraska Corn Husker thru Duck country!. Looking at map, we can 20 from Ontario, Oregon to Newport. And go thru Corvallis... and miss Salem and Portland!! No reason to go that far North. Now to calculate miles driven in a day on two lane highway instead of interstate.. where to stay???

Nebraska plays the Oregon Ducks at Autzen Stadium in Eugene on September 9th.  Bet you won't be the only Cornhusker in Oregon at that time.  ;D  After you visit Newport, OR drop down to Florence, OR and take 126 to the game.  (If you have tickets, that is.)

Yes we have tickets! Staying at south beach as state park by Florence didn't take reservations..
Should be a great week, then hope to go south on 101, never been past Florence.

I think you will enjoy the Southern Oregon coast.  Hope you enjoy the game, Eugene, and Autzen.  Dare I say:  "Go Ducks!"  ;D

tanglemoose said:
Ha... I am driving a Nebraska Corn Husker thru Duck country!. Looking at map, we can 20 from Ontario, Oregon to Newport. And go thru Corvallis... and miss Salem and Portland!! No reason to go that far North. Now to calculate miles driven in a day on two lane highway instead of interstate.. where to stay???
That's the route I would take. If you are staying in/near Newport, there is South Beach SP. Nice state park, and right about now the huckleberries should be ripening. You could stay north of Newport at Pacific Shores Motor Coach resort. It is a beautiful place right on the bluff, overlooking the ocean and Yaquina Head lighthouse. Another option is the Port of Newport RV Park. It is really a parking lot with hookups, but it is right in the harbor and within walking distance of the Oregon Coast Aquarium, a don't miss. I have stayed in all three of these parks, and I couldn't recommend one over the others. They are all nice. Pacific Shores is spendy if you get a space on the front row by the bluff.

Attachments

• Yaquina Head lighthouse.JPG
    Yaquina Head lighthouse.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 7
Just be aware that US-20 from Sisters to Albany has some fairly steep grades with sharp turns as you come down the west side of the Cascade mountain range.  Nothing really bad, just take it slow and in a lower gear so your engine will do most of the braking. 

Looking at the fires in oregon and wondering if those of you that are familiar with the area, know if we can still take 20 all the way across for our trip. Looks like the Sisters, OR area is a rough area with fires. I see a juntion there at McKenzie Pass, OR 242 and Highway 126 Junction has a closure, but I am thinking we are OK with going on 20...

Thoughts... thanks!

Donna

Just read this this morning.  It was dated August 29, 2017.

Road​ ​Closures​ ​-​ ​ ​US 20 is closed just west of Suttle Lake to Potato Hill. OR 242 is closed east of Cascade Crest to the junction of FR 15. For further information see www.tripcheck.com

So... my RV friends... we were planning to take 20 across the state... now with fires, we are wondering any other options to avoid Portland... or just drive thru at 11 pm... ???? If 20 is a mess at Bend to Eugene... another highway is 97 to 58.  Which takes us way south to get to Newport... wondering if best way to just stay on 84 and plan good time to go thru Portland. Like 2 am ha... remember we live in town of 3000, no stop lights and really avoid traffic!! Even though we did drive white knuckle thru salt lake....

With so many fires in so many locations in Oregon, I really don't know what to suggest at this point.  Here in Sutherlin, we have had a break from dense smoke for a couple of days thanks to the on shore marine flow.  However, Friday it all changes and we will be back in triple digit temps, low humidity, off shore wind flow, hazardous fire conditions, etc. 

If you can somehow make it through the Gorge (Highway 84) all the way past Portland to Astoria, you could then go south on 101.  I hope someone with more experience in Portland traffic will chime in to help you.  We have not been to Portland since we sold our motorhome about five years ago and delivered it to Scapoose, WA.  It was a white knuckle trip for us.  We used to take 205 south to I-5 when visiting relatives but who knows if that's still a preferred route. 

We usually take I-84 to I-205 and bypass downtown, picking up I-5 farther south.  It works okay as long as it's not during commute hours.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
We usually take I-84 to I-205 and bypass downtown, picking up I-5 farther south.  It works okay as long as it's not during commute hours.

ArdraF

I agree.  Avoid rush hour then use 205 to bypass downtown Portland. It is a high quality route to 5.

Just bite the bullet and take I-84 to Portland.  Pick up I-205 to I-5 and head down to US-20 over to Newport.

We watch the Portland evening news every night and the fires around US-20 near Sisters, OR are making US-20 a mess.  I MIGHT be OK when you get there in several days, or it might not be OK.  No way to know for sure.

I agree it is no fun driving on the interstates in cities, but sometimes we just have to bit the bullet and do it.

Yes, we are watching fire news and 20 is out of the picture.. we may go all the way North and catch 84, but has anyone driven Highway 97 that goes south of Bend and Highway 58 over to Eugene... since Newport is our destination, that is not a lot of extra miles.. but wondering how the Willamette Pass on that highway.  We drive passes frequently as will live by Yellowstone!

thanks, Donna

Sounds like I-84 to 205 south is still the preferred route.  To avoid the smoke, get to the coast as soon as possible via one of the several routes through the coast mountains.  I hope by the time you are able to come back to Eugene for the Ducks vs. Huskers game the smoke will have abated.  No guarantees, though.  It all depends on wind direction.  Most of these large acreage fires have a projected date of mid-October before they are able to be contained.    Pray for rain!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom