Traveling from Montana to Newport, Oregon, would like to avoid Portland??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fires are giving us real headaches too. I-84 across Portland is not bad during off peak hours, once past the city it's a nice drive to Astoria along the river.

As Ken mentioned, Highway 58 is a nice highway.  But ... check the latest conditions as there have been many smaller fires in the area around Oakhurst lately, too.  Traveling anywhere in Oregon is a crap shoot at this point with current weather conditions.  (High temps, low humidity, off shore winds, etc.)  The coast is your best bet right now.

Tom and Margi said:
Sounds like I-84 to 205 south is still the preferred route.  To avoid the smoke, get to the coast as soon as possible via one of the several routes through the coast mountains.  I hope by the time you are able to come back to Eugene for the Ducks vs. Huskers game the smoke will have abated.  No guarantees, though.  It all depends on wind direction.  Most of these large acreage fires have a projected date of mid-October before they are able to be contained.    Pray for rain!

Yes GO huskers!!! That is dangerous when I see you in O clothing, Grandson born in Eugene... Smoke at the game... trying to choke out our husker players! ha.. hope no smoke, we are East of Montana's 35 fires and have had horrible smoke filled canyons for weeks!!! Looking for blue sky, will have at the coast. and as dry as it is, I don't care if it rains! At our house people are asking for snow, that is only thing that will put our fires out!

We will decide Tuesday am which direction to go, it is about the exact same miles going to 84 or taking the highway 20 over to Bend and 58 down... We like smaller roads, sometimes, but Interstates are nice. Been on 84 Lots... years ago, but not pulling our TT. I have the Trip check on phone and a lot of other links. The La Pine State Park looks nice, but wondering if it is full of smoky air...

Would like to check out campground, state park, by Florence on way over, if we go over that way. Are bringing our kayaks and want to see what bay to use them in after game.

thanks! sure enjoy everyone's insight... I am always open to new ideas and thoughts with this Rving..

Sorry, Tanglemoose, all this time I thought you were from Nebraska.  If you're from Montana, you know about fires.  My niece lives in Missoula.  Montana is having a very tough and scary fire year also.  I just read a good description of Oregon's fires in the first paragraph of this blog.  http://rvgoddess.com/BLOG/2017/SEPTEMBER/090117.aspx 

JoelP said:
I agree.  Avoid rush hour then use 205 to bypass downtown Portland. It is a high quality route to 5.
We are in Portland right now with our 26' with toad.  I'm originally from this area, I agree with this route.

As the locals have told you I-205 is no worse than drivng I-5 south of Portland.

More bad news for the Highway 20 route.  http://www.kezi.com/story/36277729/wildfires-causing-long-delays-between-willamette-valley-and-central-oregon 

Update on Highway 84 through the Gorge to Portland.  Note that the highway is still open but one off-ramp is closed.  http://katu.com/news/local/odot-closes-i-84-off-ramp-as-eagle-creek-fire-burns-nearby

AStravelers said:
As of a few minutes ago, I-84 in Oregon is closed from MM63 to 35.  No opening date/time.  Forest fires in the area.

Well you guys have all kinds of fire issues... guess we will take 20 from Ontario to bend, south 87 to 58 to Eugene to coast ugh... joys of traveling.. in fruitless, Oregon tonight....

Well the up side is you get to avoid Portland traffic after all!  :)  Just making it a much longer drive than you probably wanted. 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom