Looking for some good audio book titles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

I did a search on the this before posting and did not find one I was looking for    DH and I would love to listen to some good books on tape  while traveling    Most of the ones I find are like 12 hours worth of listening    We don't always have 12 hours    And some of them are quite frankly boring    I guess I'm not picking good ones    We tried the Louis l'Amour wins and they were just OK but all seemed very similar    Do any of you have any favorites that you would like to share that are not 10 to 12 hours long  Thx!

Kinda tough question. So many genres. Depends on what you're in to.
I'd suggest contacting your local library for a list of what they have available.

Try https://librivox.org/  I listen to books from them all the time and they have a good selection. you can also try  http://www.openculture.com/freeaudiobooks   

Strictly a matter of personal taste, I think. I enjoy the military genre, sci-fi, mysteries, police procedurals, historical fiction of all types, action/adventure novels, and even some fantasy. Your likes and dislikes are probably much different, so you will want to keep trying different genres until you find ones you like, and authors whom you feel are not boring.

I guess you are looking for shorter works you can read/listen in one sitting?  Most people read books piecemeal as time permits, so 6-12 hours of total length is fine. Think of it as a serial on tv... Alternatively, how about a volume of short stories?

Kindle ebooks (from Amazon.com) can be had in audible form and its easy to obtain and sample different authors and styles.

OK.. There are many favorites but I'll take the first shot in the dark.. ;D ;D
ANYTHING by Barry Eisler. There are 9 books in the John Rain series.
Eisler is a former CIA spook that writes extremely well.
John Rain is a fictitious character that is an international assassin who specializes in making his targets appear to have died of natural causes.
Rain has a conscience and struggles with his expertise. The way Eisler writes, it's actually disappointing to reach the end of the book.

I have an interest in audio books, but wondered if all authors are really THAT good at reading their own books out loud.  My new job will involve some traveling, so I may get more into "active listening" for longer driving trips.

Scott the author is not the one doing the reading  Thanks guys these are some great suggestions !  We love mysteries!

Anything by:
Lee Child
David Baldacci
John Sanford
Robert Parker
Robert Crais
Janet Evanovich
John Grisham
Rex Kusler (Vegas Mysteries)
Mich Russell (Big Lake Mysterious)

Peggyy said:
Scott the author is not the one doing the reading

Ah well that's interesting.  I thought I had run across biography-type books before in which the author is also the reader.

So, how do you know if the reader is a voice/personality that you would enjoy listening to?  Do you also have certain favorite readers that you seek out, who might lend their voice talent to different genres/authors?

Scott, all the books on tape I've listened to (admittedly not many), the voice was quite neutral. I would think they're selected on that basis.
Would you really like to listen to Truman Capote read "In Cold Blood"?....  :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom