Passed by a wrecked TT and truck this weekend - highway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

I know there is always a lot of discussion about what a truck can safely haul.  This weekend I passed what I believe was a 1500 series and a long travel trailer off the road and all twisted up.  Top came off and belongings were scattered everywhere.  Police were there and the people looked fine but the way they were up the bank made me think the tail wagged the dog.

The TT was on it's side and the truck bed looked twisted.

We did not have too much wind here so I am not sure if the driver jerked the wheel and got the rear end of the truck wagging with a too big trailer or what happened.

I am not trying to be a Monday morning quarter back of the accident but it did make me think how frequently people think they will be fine even though they are over weight or don't even figure it out.

The other thing it made me think about was the weight the truck can legally haul may not figure on length and sheer force of wind.  So in other words, weight 30 feet behind the tailgate would presumably act much differently than weight 10 feet behind on a trailer.  Also, a pile of lumber weighing 10,000 pounds in a crosswind would act WAY differently than a 10,000 pound TT with all the surface area to grab.

The accident was right before going under a bridge and that could have cause a micro climate wind condition too.

I don't want to cause a huge "Weight Fight" - just be careful out there!  This is the third RV wreck I passed this summer.  Maybe another safety tip is to stay away from me ::)

Possible causes
Driver inattention
Sudden move by driver (Say he drifted)
Someone "Bounced" off him (Hey happened to me.  (In my car. I was stopped waiting to turn left at the time but a drunk bounced off me and then through a mail box and into 3 more parked cars. Only injury was to his wallet and driving record.. Oh and his girlfiends as well (He called her and had her report the car stolen.. False report).

As some surmise too much trailer for the truck

Wind

Passing Semi coupled with too much trailer.

And back to inattentive driver drifting off the road and gravity took over.  That ALMOST happened to me but I engaged brain and recoverd without damage.. Save to the undies.

Sad story.  However, I'm glad we decided to spend the extra $$$ and buy a RAM 3500.  Also extremely gratefully that Eric is a responsible driver.

as for the tail wagging the dog on the 1/2 ton ...how much more does a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck weigh,  that it would prevent this from happening ? 

yes dual wheels would help,  but even a 80k semi truck can't always hold the inertia of a wayward trailer.

IMO>  the number one suspect .......speed.        Even if he was going under the posted max speed. 

To me it hit home to remember things do go wrong, error on the side of caution and don't be in a hurry.

We have a small hill with gravel on it at the RV park I am working at this summer.  4 times now we have had failures to get up the hill, 3 mini vans and an small SUV pulling trailers.  I'm not sure if it is salesman or just plain not knowing but it is my opinion that unless you have a teardrop your minivan or small SUV can't pull TTs.  Don't try it.

TonyDtorch said:
as for the tail wagging the dog on the 1/2 ton ...how much more does a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck weigh,  that it would prevent this from happening ? 

yes dual wheels would help,  but even a 80k semi truck can't always hold the inertia of a wayward trailer.

IMO>  the number one suspect .......speed.        Even if he was going under the posted max speed.
My thoughts exactly. I seriously doubt that being a 1/2 ton had a thing to do with it. Don't be fooled into thinking it can't happen to you just because you drive a 3/4-1 ton truck.

BobX2 said:
My thoughts exactly. I seriously doubt that being a 1/2 ton had a thing to do with it. Don't be fooled into thinking it can't happen to you just because you drive a 3/4-1 ton truck.

All things being equal, I would rather be in a dually but your point is well taken that you can't just think you are invincible because you are in a "big" truck no matter what the decal says.  The fact of the matter is the are all susceptible to a trailer pushing them around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffandjoan
Back
Top Bottom