from Gardiner MT to Cody WY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaw111

on our trip out west,thinking about stoping in Gardiner Mt to see the North side of Yellowstone,then we're heading to Cody WY,What would be a good route towing a 39' fifth wheel

Which direction are you coming from, what time of year, and where are you camping...How many days, etc

we are coming south from 2 weeks at Glacier National,we would like to spend 5 days at Rocky Mountain in Gardiner,then heading to ponderosa campground in cody for 10 days,then 10 days to  Colter Bay campground,we are leaving saturday for custer in SD for a week,will be leaving Glacier National on sep 15 on our way to yellowstone

Considering you will be staying on north end and then east end and driving from cody thru east entrance thru park to south entrance..to Colter Bay.
I would suggest from Gardiner driving to Livingston, take I 90 to Laurel, exit, go south to Cody. Nice road...

You can go to Tower junction and head to NE entrance and take Chief Joseph Highway to Cody. Lamar valley road is extremely narrow with no shoulders and lots of buffalo jams... my recommendation would be, take interstate. You will be in park enough without traveling with you rv...

While you are staying at Colter it is a good idea to head down to Oxbow Bend and spend the sunset hours there. All the animals show up to drink in the most accessible water hole and the place turns into a zoo without bars. 

tanglemoose said:
Considering you will be staying on north end and then east end and driving from cody thru east entrance thru park to south entrance..to Colter Bay.
I would suggest from Gardiner driving to Livingston, take I 90 to Laurel, exit, go south to Cody. Nice road...

You can go to Tower junction and head to NE entrance and take Chief Joseph Highway to Cody. Lamar valley road is extremely narrow with no shoulders and lots of buffalo jams... my recommendation would be, take interstate. You will be in park enough without traveling with you rv...

Thanks,thats what i was looking for,

Jeff

SeilerBird said:
While you are staying at Colter it is a good idea to head down to Oxbow Bend and spend the sunset hours there. All the animals show up to drink in the most accessible water hole and the place turns into a zoo without bars.

Thats what our whole trip is for to photo wildlife and landscapes.

Thanks Jeff

jaw111 said:
That's what our whole trip is for to photo wildlife and landscapes.
You are going to the right place. Many years ago The Travel Channel produced a documentary called 'The Ten Best National Parks to View Wildlife in North America'. Number one was Grand Teton and number three was Yellowstone. Bring lots of SD cards. ;D  BTW, number two was Denali in Alaska.

Be sure to check out the Beartooth scenic highway... 10k and lakes, views unreal.. good loop is cody, thru chief Joseph Highway, 212 toward Red lodge, over pass and over to belfry and down to Cody.... sorry no numbers of roads, we just go town to town .. Do not take rv on this trip!! One of the most scenic highways in America... of course, you can do top part when you are in Gardiner area... this is my backyard...

If you leave Gardiner by 8:00 or so, take the drive through the park to Cooke City. Keep through Cooke to the Chief Joseph Highway to Cody. The scenery is spectacular in that part of the park and on the Chief Joseph. The only issue is the traffic in the park, but if you are out early you miss most of it. The road really isn't that bad, and the slower traffic is well worth the scenery. We go that way frequently though we do have a smaller setup than you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom