oil change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford50

I have 4100 miles on my class c  I was reading a post about brake job and this through came to me , what do most of you men do about oil change  on your motorhomes do you do it yourself or pay someone to do it, if you pay someone else what is a ball park price I have a e450 chassis do you use synethic oil or standard oil. 

This man let's his wife do it!!... Just kidding, although she is certainly capable. I do it myself. I use the recommended oil which in my case is the half synthetic half dino oil. Can't remember what it's officially called now but you get the point. If you send your class "C" out for an oil change it shouldn't cost any more than a regular vehicle

I have the same chassis and use full synthetic. We plan on keeping it for a while, and it's not much more expensive.

It's been better than 20 years since I changed my own oil. We've got a good mechanic, and an oil change is a good excuse  to get him poking around under the hood.

I used to do all of my own oil changes but due to a change in shape  (round is a shape), I find that the front axle of the Class A prevents little short rotund fellows from just sliding under.  Guess I could use the jacks to lift it but it costs no more than a regular oil change at my local Walmart which is one of the few with a high bay so I use them.  Had an RV dealer do it once when I was having other work done but he charged me almost double what an local mechanic would charge.

Rocking....I believe you are referring to the MotorCraft 5-20 synthetic blend that is sold in a red container? We stock at our shop as a lot of the Ford's we do recommend it (NOT require it).

Doesn't take any longer than a pickup truck.  Easy to do and cheap.  I change it more often than my car because it essentially a pickup truck engine that is under heavy load every mile.  But alas everyone has a different opinion on frequency?.  I wish it used more than 6 quarts because I feel that would give it a little more wiggle room between changes.  But I am sure people have their opinions there too.

I use full synthetic again because it isn't much more than conventional but I had the v8 version in a truck and ran standard for 135,000 miles before I sold it.  No problems!

As was mentioned above, no harder to change oil than on a pickup truck. When I had a class C motorhome, I used a set of wooden ramps to raise the motorhome in the front, oil filter wrench, socket set, and a  fairly large oil pan that will hold at least 8 quarts. I preferred doing it myself not only to save money, but to have a look underneath and do any greasing of the grease nipples when needed.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom