Soft spot on roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

I recently discovered that one of my air conditioners has a bad seal and has been dumping some water into the roof under the TPO sheet.  Walking on the roof I can feel that the wood underneath is warping and splitting.  It's an area of about 3-4 feet square,(I.e. 9-16 square feet).

I'm in no shape to tackle this job so I'm going to have to take it somewhere.

I assume that the TPO will have to be removed.  Will they just remove the effected area and glue it back on?  Or will I need a whole new roof?

Assuming it can be repaired how big of a job is it.  What is a reasonable cost to plan on?  Any similar experiences?

Only indirect experience Russ. Our last coach didn't have TPO, but the roof got the dreaded soft spots over a large area. This was in the early/mid 90's, and IIRC the cost of repair (replacement) of the roof was estimated to be something like $7,000. I choked on that, and didn't fix it, and the rot spread like a cancer. We eventually quit using the coach (for other reasons). The kids who borrowed the coach were happy to put buckets on the dash to catch the leaks.

When we eventually traded the coach, I made it an as-is sale, charged the dealer only $1, and spelled out the problem on the DMV paperwork.

Good luck. I hope you find a cost-effective solution.

Got some good news today.  Don't need a whole new roof.  New air conditioner seals, new sealing everywhere else, and a few other misc. repairs I threw in just for ducks. 

Happy camper so far.

X2^ A whole lot better than a whole roof and substrate repair too.

Back
Top Bottom