RV camping in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vito55

We might be taking a few weeks soon to go up to Maine with our small travel trailer, and I'm thinking about doing part of the trip in Canada, from about Sault St. Marie across to Quebec City. Is RV camping pretty much the same in Canada as in the U.S.? Is a "full hook up" defined the same way there as in the U.S.? Anything special I should know or consider about going this route? Thanks for any advice.

Some provincial and national parks close in the fall even though the weather is still nice. You can check on line for closing dates.

It is about a 12 hour drive without stops or sightseeing from the Soo to Quebec City.  The route crosses through some excellent scenery, and offers a lot of sightseeing, I would recommend taking at least a week to make the trip.  I particularly like the trip from North Bay to Ottawa, which follows the Ottawa River for much of the way.  We have stayed at a park in Mattawa a few times, here is their web site:  http://www.sidturcottepark.com/
  Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City are each worth a few day visit.  We have never stayed in Ottawa or Montreal as we have family there, but have used the following in Quebec City, and it is a PA Park:  http://www.campingtransit.com/pages%20english/home/home.html
  If you have time, the drive from Quebec City to the Gaspe Peninsula is one of the most picturesque and spectacular in North America.

Ed

What pet paperwork is required? I've never taken my dog out of the country before.

vito55 said:
What pet paperwork is required? I've never taken my dog out of the country before.

Vaccinations, notably Rabies, and there might be others. The Canadian Boarder people WILL ask. The American border people may  ask on your way back, (some do, some don't has been my experience)

Leave your guns at home Son*!! (Sounds like an old country/western song eh??)

*Handguns are not permitted.  Better you should find out now rather than when you arrive at a border crossing!!  8)

We've never been asked for our dog's papers. At one US border crossing, we were told, "I don't care about dogs. Dogs don't commit crimes."

I just crossed the border at Sarnia and for the 1st time they asked for the dogs papers in maybe 20 crossings they just want proof that rabies and parvo etc are all up to date we have 3 boxers the crossing guy was great, i put all the papers in an envelope which i keep in the seat back every year so i have 7 yrs of vacination certs with me lol.

x2 on the Sid Turcotte park. Stayed there a few years back. Right on the Ottawa River. How about some white water rafting near Pembroke at Forester Falls. We went on Wilderness Tours, but Owl does tours too. Dont forget to visit our nations capital in Ottawa. Algonquin Park is not far out of the way. If you go south at North Bay to Huntsville, you can go east through the park on Hwy 60. Nice scenic hwy all the way over to 17. You might just see some moose. The park is full of them. I live in Muskoka, so if you are planning to come through Huntsville or Muskoka, I might have other suggestions. Cheers and welcome to Canada eh.

RVing in Canada is pretty much the same as in the US. I actually only drove car from the US to Canada, but my relative living in Toronto says it?s not much difference. I really like to visit Canada, especially I like one place I stayed few times, small apartment in Ontario https://tranio.com/canada/adt/1575109/,
In summer you can drink coffee outside, chat with neighbors, but together with that the place is quite private. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom