EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: RV camping in Canada?  (Read 389 times)

vito55

• ---
RV camping in Canada?
« on: August 14, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
We might be taking a few weeks soon to go up to Maine with our small travel trailer, and I'm thinking about doing part of the trip in Canada, from about Sault St. Marie across to Quebec City. Is RV camping pretty much the same in Canada as in the U.S.? Is a "full hook up" defined the same way there as in the U.S.? Anything special I should know or consider about going this route? Thanks for any advice.
Retired US Army; Honda Goldwing rider and former MSF Instructor, NRA Life Member

HappyWanderer

• ---
Re: RV camping in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 06:44:58 PM »
Other than electricity is called hydro, things are about the same.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:01:13 AM »
You'll need a passport. No guns. Paperwork for pets. Pretty much the same up there.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:24:23 AM »
What are your concerns?
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5200lbs cargo/weight capacity named Kong

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh?

Sprucegum

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
Some provincial and national parks close in the fall even though the weather is still nice. You can check on line for closing dates.
2014 Navion 24V on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis (SOLD)
Ready to roll after 9 years camping in one spot
F-150 TV
Shasta Revere 25BH

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
    It is about a 12 hour drive without stops or sightseeing from the Soo to Quebec City.  The route crosses through some excellent scenery, and offers a lot of sightseeing, I would recommend taking at least a week to make the trip.  I particularly like the trip from North Bay to Ottawa, which follows the Ottawa River for much of the way.  We have stayed at a park in Mattawa a few times, here is their web site:  http://www.sidturcottepark.com/
   Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City are each worth a few day visit.  We have never stayed in Ottawa or Montreal as we have family there, but have used the following in Quebec City, and it is a PA Park:  http://www.campingtransit.com/pages%20english/home/home.html
   If you have time, the drive from Quebec City to the Gaspe Peninsula is one of the most picturesque and spectacular in North America.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »
Try their local beers.  8)
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
Cummings ISBXT turbo 6.7L 360HP
Allison 3000MH
2018 Canyon All Terrain toad
"Official" snowbird!
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan
Preachers kid since day one!

vito55

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »
What pet paperwork is required? I've never taken my dog out of the country before.
Retired US Army; Honda Goldwing rider and former MSF Instructor, NRA Life Member

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »
What pet paperwork is required? I've never taken my dog out of the country before.

Vaccinations, notably Rabies, and there might be others. The Canadian Boarder people WILL ask. The American border people may  ask on your way back, (some do, some don't has been my experience)

Leave your guns at home Son*!! (Sounds like an old country/western song eh??)

*Handguns are not permitted.  Better you should find out now rather than when you arrive at a border crossing!!  8)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:58:41 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
We've never been asked for our dog's papers. At one US border crossing, we were told, "I don't care about dogs. Dogs don't commit crimes."

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 06:19:49 PM »
I just crossed the border at Sarnia and for the 1st time they asked for the dogs papers in maybe 20 crossings they just want proof that rabies and parvo etc are all up to date we have 3 boxers the crossing guy was great, i put all the papers in an envelope which i keep in the seat back every year so i have 7 yrs of vacination certs with me lol.
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5200lbs cargo/weight capacity named Kong

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh?

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »
x2 on the Sid Turcotte park. Stayed there a few years back. Right on the Ottawa River. How about some white water rafting near Pembroke at Forester Falls. We went on Wilderness Tours, but Owl does tours too. Dont forget to visit our nations capital in Ottawa. Algonquin Park is not far out of the way. If you go south at North Bay to Huntsville, you can go east through the park on Hwy 60. Nice scenic hwy all the way over to 17. You might just see some moose. The park is full of them. I live in Muskoka, so if you are planning to come through Huntsville or Muskoka, I might have other suggestions. Cheers and welcome to Canada eh.

Steven Mael

• ---
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 05:17:58 AM »
RVing in Canada is pretty much the same as in the US. I actually only drove car from the US to Canada, but my relative living in Toronto says it’s not much difference. I really like to visit Canada, especially I like one place I stayed few times, small apartment in Ontario https://tranio.com/canada/adt/1575109/,
In summer you can drink coffee outside, chat with neighbors, but together with that the place is quite private. 
I don't bite!

Hosted by Over The Network