A/C Compressor/clutch failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charger1204

Anyone have trouble from the chassis A/C or A/C clutch on a 2011 F53 V10 ? I have a 2011 Winnebago Vista 26p and either the whole compressor has gone out or the clutch. The engine only has 15k miles on it. I thought it kind of odd that I would have issues with so little miles on the engine.
I've researched to see if a clutch is available but can't seem to find a part number for that model year compressor. I've found a replacement compressor but didn't really want to replace the whole thing because of all the issues of recharging the system and all that. It sent up a cloud of smoke on a recent trip and quit as soon as I shut off the A/C.

That happened with our 05 Ram ctd, a complete remanufactured compressor was the cheapest option. Have a qualified shop do the repair, this is not a job for most diy'ers.

I was able to find one for about $168, it's the darn labor I'm worried about. I'm pretty handy and more than willing to try anything when it comes to mechanic work and find it very gratifying when I conquer something new, but this just might be beyond my ability. Just my luck that they don't (or I can't find at least) a clutch to replace, it if that's what it is.

If you are talking about using a re-manufactured compressor and only the clutch is bad, I would make a serious effort to find a clutch.  The re-manufactured compressors have a very poor quality record.  Try to find a tag on the compressor with a brand and model number, there may be a way to find what you need that way.  Clutch removal tools can be had on eBay for twenty some bucks for some models.

I took my old Chevy van to a "professional" A/C shop to have the shaft seal replaced because it needed a special tool.  The sucker replaced the whole compressor with a rebuilt piece of junk that didn't last 3 months.  Very long story, so here is the short version: now on 4th compressor, no A/C every summer since, 3 incompetent shops, thousands of dollars.  Entire dual system flushed over and over to remove debris from junk compressors.  Finally last winter I bought anything and everything to do it right myself and am currently enjoying this summer.  All this for want of a shaft seal.

Reminds me of this:

For the want of a nail, the world was lost
For the want of a nail, the shoe was lost
For the want of a shoe, the horse was lost
For the want of a horse, the rider was lost
For the want of a rider, the message was lost
For the want of a message, the battle was lost
For the want of a battle, the war was lost
For the want of a war, the kingdom was lost

many of the auto parts stores will loan you the puller to get the clutch off..then take it to them and have it matched up. No charge for the puller and you dont have to recharge the system. Even if you mess it up (the clutch) you can still replace the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom