Looking for suggestions on how to travel with a dog and a cat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
We just adopted a 40+ lb. dog and we also have an 8 lb. cat.  They are just getting to know each other.  The dog could care less about the cat but the cat isn't so sure about the dog. 

We have a 35' 5th wheel and a RAM 3500 Crew Cab.  In the past, the cat traveled in the back seat of the truck in a soft sided cage.  The dog's crate won't fit in the back seat of the truck.  We really don't want to travel with either of them in the 5th wheel.  We are concerned about the dog's safety.  Do dog safety belts or harnesses work or will the dog just hate them. 

Roy M said:
The dog will just have to get used to it but IMHO he/she is too big to be a practical travel companion.

I don't understand what you mean by the dog will have to get used to it.  Please explain.  (I think it's the cat who will have to get over it.  I'm pretty sure she will eventually get used to the dog.)

As far as the dog being a practical travel companion ... it is what it is.  She is being trained as a Service Dog and DH would go into a deep depression if we got rid of the cat.  We're just trying to find a solution to keep them both safe and happy. 

I put about 100k miles on my RV with three cats inside. I never worried about them. As soon as I started driving they would go off somewhere and sleep. People worry about stopping quickly and the animal turning into a missile. That is never going to happen. Unless you run into a brick wall at 60 mph it is virtually impossible to stop an RV quick enough to turn an animal into a missile. If you are driving properly stopping quickly will never happen. RVs just don't get into accidents like cars do that stops them suddenly. I have never heard of any RVer injuring an animal in an RV.

Roy M said:
The dog will just have to get used to it but IMHO he/she is too big to be a practical travel companion.
If I told that to my wife, I would get wacked real good - and deserve it..............lol

You put them in whatever vehicle you choose, and go.  Simple as that.  Animals work things out among themselves all the time.  They're much more flexible than most people allow them to be.

Ive always just let my dogs ride in the back seat. I researched restraining devices, but none of them had very good reviews and pretty high failure rates. I leave their leashes attached so at least it gives us a better chance of grabbing them in case of an accident.

The two animals will probably get used to each other, sooner if you let them be to work it out for themselves. I dont think they will have issues in the truk since the dog doesnt bother the cat. Might wanna keep the cat in the crate to protect the dog though.  :eek:

We've traveled with 2 Cats & 2 Dogs. We Just chucked'm in the truck and in a trip or two.. they sorted it out... on their own They now have their respective places to lay or sit, on their blankets and rugs... All Is Good. They know the routine and look forward to new sights & smells.

Kevin modified a cat tower to fit in the back seat of the truck, tied in with webbing so it didn't become a missile in a quick stop. That gives the cats a place to get away from the dog. Besides, they like their hidden spot. The dog (70 pounds) rides on the seat, mostly just lying down (she's a lazy old thing). I know there are seat belts for dogs and supposedly crash safe carriers for both, but like a PP I haven't seen good reviews. It is a calculated risk.

As for size of dog, we have always been big dog people and always will be. The only hassle we have with the dog is the floor space she takes up in our small trailer. Yours is much bigger. Teach her to sleep under the dinette if you can.

This thread reminds me of a story. In the early 90s I lived in a 26 foot class C with my Old English Sheepdog who was a Frisbee fanatic. While I was driving he used to bring his Frisbee up to me and drop it by my feet and sit there and wait for me to throw it. When it was safe to do so I would pick it up with my right hand and throw it to the bathroom by sailing it vertically instead of the usual horizontal. When we would play in the park I would throw it horizontally as far as I could so he could run and nail it in the air. But inside the motorhome the object was to just get him some exercise.

Attachments

• Tom 1985-05.jpg
    Tom 1985-05.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 32
I think everything is going to be just fine with the dog and cat traveling together in the back seat of the truck. 

I took the dog for a long car ride today.  She was very okay with it and either sat or laid down on the back seat.  The dog ignores the cat.  The cat observes the dog from a safe distance.  Tomorrow night all of us are going to sleep in the same bedroom.  Next week we are taking a short RV trip with the dog while the cat stays home.  The following trip will be a short RV trip with the four of us. 

I'm feeling much better about traveling with a medium size dog and cat.

Thanks for the reassurance!

I'm sure that things will work themselves out for the two of them! When we had a fifth wheel we had a cage modified to fit the backseat of the Ram crew cab, all the cats (7 at the time) were in the cage. We had 2 lovebirds that stayed at home, but when one of them died we knew we could not leave Sunshine for days on end and it is illegal in PA to have a living creature in the 5'er so we got the MH.  She sits on the floor between us, is well used to the cats and loves the trips.....much more than a few of the cats do!!

Animals are amazingly adaptable, wives....not so much!! (I know this to be true....because I'm one!)

I see you are new to forum but this post is from 1 1/2 years ago. You may want to check the date of the last reply before posting. Just a suggestion as many posters have moved on.

Older Post but FWIW (?) We've traveled this land for 50+ years with multiple Cats & Dogs. In time.. they all have Found or claimed their "Spaces" in the Tow Vehicle. They Never travel in the Trailer(s). One thing we've learned >You Can't< Assign them "Spaces".. they will sort it out.

From Puppy's and Kittens, during the Imprint Stages.. we've trained them all to Collars and Leashes. Cats to Harnesses.. Dogs to Either-Or. They go on walks and are Sociable around other Animals, and People, because of this.. IMO. We have "inherited" Adult Cats & Dogs through the years... But with a little [More Time].. and [Patients]... They've all adapted to the "Traveling Program" with No problem. With the occasional Visit to the DW's Lap (not on mine while we're in motion) for a Rub'n.. their Life Is Good.. On The Road. So is Ours.

Currently, we have 1.5 Dogs ( A POM and a Min-Pin) and a 10+ pound Cat.

Even if the post is dated it might be relevant to others.  As a follow up - it took a while but our cat and dog now tolerate each other. They don't go as far as curling up with each other but they sleep on the same blanket.  It's hard to explain but they now look out for each other.

My dog is a large lab -- all of 100 pounds and the size of a mini horse.  He's an excellent traveling companion.  Yes, the Trend makes for tight quarters, but he loves going with me.  And with his size, people think twice.  :)

Back
Top Bottom