I have finally have moved up to 4G!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I have been using a grandfathered 3G USB modem from Verizon for several years now. About 8 months ago Verizon bumped the monthly rate from $60 to $80 a month. I still stuck with my old plan though.  Several times in the past whenever I made some minor change to my plan or added or changed a device, it was always an ordeal to maintain my 3G unlimited plan. A couple of months ago it happened again. I upgraded my cell phone plan and the unlimited plan got dumped.  I called back immediately and was going through the process of getting it reapplied. 

In the meantime I was switched to a unlimited 4G plan in the interim.  That's all it took. I have been struggling to get reliable service with the 3G modem recently, poor signal, difficult to connect, and streaming was out of the question. So I was using my cell phone as a hot spot for streaming and sensitive data (banking ect) and park Wifi for web browsing.  After a few more "chat sessions" I wound up with their version of the "Unlimited Plan" for all my devices. And it came out to about $30 cheaper a month than I was paying for the 3G plan. 

So I bit the bullet and upgraded my hardware as well.  I went to 3G Store.com and purchased a PepWave BR-1 mini router with an embedded 3G/4G LTE modem.  With a Verizon SIM card switching the equipment was done on line. I also went with a 4G Amp, and OMNI exterior wide band antenna. 

I put it all in and the results have been staggering.  The wifi speeds are remarkable (and I am in a hole of a campground surrounded by huge trees) and browsing and streaming is effortless.  I guess I had to move into the 21 Century at some point ;D

Marty, every now and then we dinosaurs are forced into upgrading into the new century.  Hope it all goes well - sounds good so far!

ArdraF

Yep, we've been really enjoying our $20/mo AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE data plan ever since we got it. I do connect to our grey market $5/mo Verizon unlimited 3G Jetpack from time to time though, just to make sure it's still working ok. What a difference!

3G is nice.. 4g and even better yet 4Glte... Blazing bandwith batman.

And what blows even it away... There is a Denny's (Brunswick GA) with very high speed internet (I'm guessing fiber optic) and a 5GHZ router..... My OTHER laptop and my Smart phone both can eat 5GHZ just fne (This one is 2.4 only) ... Takes this box longer to load a page on my HARD DRIVE than teh chromebook on 5GHZ at that Denny's..

I've been to other 5GHZ places including the one a few hundred yards from where I'm sitting.. None were that fast (I am 2 or 3 hundred yards from the park router. which is sitting on the FLOOR of the family center.. Hooked SOILD on the 2.4Gig side of the router.. Ran my Nano-Station Loco M2 up the flagpole (24' Sunsetter) and .. It connected.

I am just ecstatic to have the LTE speeds. I was surviving on 3G speeds in the .03 meg range. That's almost too slow for Google to load my email.  Been running into lots of that in the Midwest and South.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom