Vacationer - can't figure out map lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drisley

Minor issue, but can't figure it out. Two small map lights over the dash, undermounted to the TV enclosure. Can't for the life of me find any switch to turn them on. The other night, lo and behold, my wife plugged her iPhone into the 12v lighter to charge and both bulbs turned on! Unplug the phone, they turn off. So we know the bulbs are good but again no idea how to turn those things on on purpose.

Ideas? It's an 02 Vacationer if anybody has experience with this model.

Such a minor thing, but weird I can't find a switch! :)

They may run off the headlight switch if it has a "courtesy light" setting, or a separate utility or courtesy light switch on the dash, one that possibly controls several lights. However, the fact that they are now getting power via the ground side of the 12v outlet suggests that the dash wiring is mucked up somehow, so whatever switch should operate them is not. You are probably going to have to investigate that outlet wiring.

I had a similar issue with our 03 Monaco when we first got it. The map lights are mounted above the driver and the passenger. In our case, the switches were clearly labeled, but only the passenger light came on. I mentioned it while we were at a Monaco service center, and was shown a dimmer switch that had the driver side map light turned off  :-[

Interestingly, my wife pointed out that she had TWO devices plugged into the cig lighter, using a 12v splitter. When we have two devices plugged in, the map lights come on. When only 1 plugged in, nothing. It is almost like a circuit is being completed. Odd.

We have 2 cig lighters on the dash. Wonder if one of them was supposed to have a switch there.

Tom, where was the switch located in yours?

where was the switch located in yours?

On the passenger side the switch is located on the wall adjacent to the right side of the chair. On the driver's side, it's located on the left side of the dash.

I should clarify that the only map light switch is on the passenger side. The dimmer I referred to on the left of the dash is the same dimmer switch used to dim the dash lights.

We have no switch in that location. All I can think of is that there's supposed to be a switch in the location of one of the 12v jacks. We do have the dimmer on the dash but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the map lights.

Oh hell! :) I found it. It's on the dimmer switch, moving it all the way to the max position. Then it clicks and activates the switch.  :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom