2000 Coleman fleetwood mesa electrical problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerylt64

I am having a problem with my camper. Every time I plug it in at a campsite's electrical box, all of the brake lights and running lights turn on. It only started recently and I'm wondering if anybody has seen anything like it before. There is no battery plugged up or anything. I think it may be a converter issue???

emerylt64 said:
I am having a problem with my camper. Every time I plug it in at a campsite's electrical box, all of the brake lights and running lights turn on. It only started recently and I'm wondering if anybody has seen anything like it before. There is no battery plugged up or anything. I think it may be a converter issue???

First, welcome to the forum.
What do you mean when you say there is no battery plugged up or anything.
That's a unique problem. What I would do is follow the pigtail, the wire you plug into the tow vehicle, back to a junction box. Open it up and see if any of the wire nuts have loosened up and look for bare wires shorting out against the box or the green ground wire. Others may have other ideas to try. 

sorry, bad wording. I don't have a battery on my trailer yet. The only source of power is coming from where I actually plug in the camper at a campsite.

You get 12v power when you plug in, but that is not the issue. You have a short in your trailer towing plug between the +12v line and the running lights. As soon as the +12v line gets power, they come open.  Forget the converter - it's doing what it should be doing. Focus on the trailer side of the light & brake wiring, up to and including the light & brake plug (7 pin connector).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom