Ouray Off-Roading Adventure August 11-18, 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Add me to the list, Mike.  I just reserved a back-in space at the KOA for August 11-18.  See ya!

Lou

Hi Mike,

Do you know the best place to rent a jeep.  Charles and I are excited to rent one and see if that is the direction we want to go in.

Robin

Lou Schneider said:
Add me to the list, Mike.  I just reserved a back-in space at the KOA for August 11-18.  See ya!

Lou

Awesome Lou.  Glad you will be able to join us again.  Looking forward to seeing ya again.

Mike

Roadhappy said:
Hi Mike,

Do you know the best place to rent a jeep.  Charles and I are excited to rent one and see if that is the direction we want to go in.

Robin

Robin, I haven't had any personal experience with any of the rental places but Steve & Dee rented one last year from the KOA where we are staying and I think they had a good experience with them.  Hopefully Steve will see this and chime in with his personal experience and whether he would recommend them or not.  I know the KOA has 3 or 4 each year that they rent and they seem to be rented quite a bit so I am assuming they are similarly priced with the ones in town but that is only an assumption on my part.

I do know that there are only a few trails that they don't allow their rental Jeeps on so weather permitting we will try to run those on days that you don't have the rental so you can get the most use of your rental.

Sorry I don't have any more specifics Robin.

Mike

zmotorsports said:
Robin, I haven't had any personal experience with any of the rental places but Steve & Dee rented one last year from the KOA where we are staying and I think they had a good experience with them.  Hopefully Steve will see this and chime in with his personal experience and whether he would recommend them or not.  I know the KOA has 3 or 4 each year that they rent and they seem to be rented quite a bit so I am assuming they are similarly priced with the ones in town but that is only an assumption on my part.

I do know that there are only a few trails that they don't allow their rental Jeeps on so weather permitting we will try to run those on days that you don't have the rental so you can get the most use of your rental.

Sorry I don't have any more specifics Robin.

Mike

Hi Robin,

We were in Ouray last year and rented a jeep from Riverside Jeeps. http://www.jeepouray.com/about-our-jeeps/

Last year the rental jeeps at the KOA campground were stock Wrangler sports. Around $200 per day. The jeep that we rented at Riverside Jeeps were Rubicon lifted with 35-inch tires for about $30-40 more per day. Had a good experience with Riverside Jeeps. Would rent from them again. Hope this helps.

Jeff and Anita

Jeff and Anita said:
Hi Robin,

We were in Ouray last year and rented a jeep from Riverside Jeeps. http://www.jeepouray.com/about-our-jeeps/

Last year the rental jeeps at the KOA campground were stock Wrangler sports. Around $200 per day. The jeep that we rented at Riverside Jeeps were Rubicon lifted with 35-inch tires for about $30-40 more per day. Had a good experience with Riverside Jeeps. Would rent from them again. Hope this helps.

Jeff and Anita

Thank you very much for the information.

I apologize, I just didn't have any first hand experience with rental outfits.

I appreciate you taking the time to report and give first hand experience.

Mike

Charles & Robin for the roads & trails we take in Ouray the Rubicon
level vehicle with 35" tires is probably worth the $$$.  We look forward
to seeing you there.

Team LoLa

Well seeing as how we are officially into the 2018 year and some are even RVing already I figured I would start an attendee list as August will be here before we know it. ;)

1.  * Mike & Chrystal                zmotorsports
2.  * Frank & Barb                  FrankW/Barb
3.  * Jeff & Anita                      Jeff and Anita
4.  *Gary & Darlene                Becks
5.  * Gary & Colleen                toashum
6.  * John & Susan                  John Beard
7.  * Bill & Corinne                  Photog
8.  * Larry & Loretta                THEBigLarry
9.  *Jan & Olga                        Jan Stiskala (probably maybe)
10.  *Richard & Vickie              rvramblin
11. *Robin & Charles              Roadhappy
12. *Lou Schneider                Lou Schneider

If I forgot and left anyone off the list, PLEASE speak out and let me know.  Don't be bashful with this group. ;D

Looks like a pretty good group and should be a lot of fun.

Chrystal and I are very much looking forward to seeing our old friends and making new ones.

Mike & Chrystal

I will be in Colorado from July 21 through August 25. We begin our adventure with my local Jeep Club (WarMachines702) in Ouray on July 21-28, then I'll be just hanging out between Montrose and Ouray until August 11-18 with the RV Forum, and then onto Buena Vista for the FMCA 4Wheelers Event from August 19-25.

Colorado in late July through most of August sounds far better than the summer in Las Vegas, NV.

John Beard said:
I will be in Colorado from July 21 through August 25. We begin our adventure with my local Jeep Club (WarMachines702) in Ouray on July 21-28, then I'll be just hanging out between Montrose and Ouray until August 11-18 with the RV Forum, and then onto Buena Vista for the FMCA 4Wheelers Event from August 19-25.

Colorado in late July through most of August sounds far better than the summer in Las Vegas, NV.

You're not alone John, we headed to Ouray about 10 years ago to escape the August heat in northern Utah and have been going back the same week every year ever since.

We love the Ouray area and look forward to being able to have extended stays there once we make it to retirement.

Mike

zmotorsports said:
Well seeing as how we are officially into the 2018 year and some are even RVing already I figured I would start an attendee list as August will be here before we know it. ;)

If I forgot and left anyone off the list, PLEASE speak out and let me know.  Don't be bashful with this group. ;D

Looks like a pretty good group and should be a lot of fun.

Chrystal and I are very much looking forward to seeing our old friends and making new ones.

Mike & Chrystal

Here's some people I know who are coming from the FMCA 4-wheelers group:
Don and Becky Paulsen
Bev and Dave Hess
Don Doniak
Betsy and Carl Trygstad

Anita

John Beard said:

Hi John,

We have reservations at Ridgeway State Park (August 5-11) the week before the RV Forum rally in Ouray. So far there are 5 or 6 rigs and jeeps staying there as well.

Anita and Jeff

Jeff and Anita said:
Here's some people I know who are coming from the FMCA 4-wheelers group:
Don and Becky Paulsen
Bev and Dave Hess
Don Doniak
Betsy and Carl Trygstad

Anita

That is awesome Anita.  They are more than welcome, I think the only ones I know are Don & Becky so it will be good to see them again (and glad to see we didn't run them off from last year ;D) and it will be nice to meet the others. 

I have added them to the attendees list.

13. *Don & Becky Paulsen      FMCA 4-Wheelers
14. *Bev & Dave Hess            FMCA 4-Wheelers
15. *Don Doniak                    FMCA 4-Wheelers
16. *Betsy & Carl Trygstad      FMCA 4-Wheelers

Looking to be a great gathering of off-roaders.

Mike

Jeff and Anita said:
Hi John,

We have reservations at Ridgeway State Park (August 5-11) the week before the RV Forum rally in Ouray. So far there are 5 or 6 rigs and jeeps staying there as well.

Anita and Jeff

I just reserved site 252HA for those dates.

Quote from Mike (not sure why it doesn't show that way)

Robin,
  We are the ones Mike mentioned who rented from the KOA.  We had no issues with them.  The rental process was easy and the Jeeps were adequate.  They were very stock.  We had no issues on any of the trails and really wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.  It was very convenient.  All that said, the Jeep that Jeff & Anita's son rented was much nicer and had more extras.  They weren't necessarily required, but I'm sure made for a nicer ride.  If $$ is an object, the KOA is good.  If you'd rather spend a few $$ for a nicer ride, then follow Jeff & Anita's link.  Sorry we won't be there to join everyone, we'll be on an Alaskan cruise at that time.  Happy trails!

Steve & Dee

Back
Top Bottom