Ouray Off-Roading Adventure August 11-18, 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Current fire map...

Attachments

• firemap2_0[1].jpeg
    firemap2_0[1].jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 22
I wished they got some of this rain the mid-atlantic has been getting. really hurting the farmers here.

We would love to meet up with you all sometime but from orlando that is a bit too much drive for us right now.  Know you will all have fun!

zmotorsports said:
That must be a different fire as Silverthorne is quite a distance from Durango and San Juan closures.

It is a different fire. There are at least 6 fires in Colorado now, and a large chunk of the state is smoky.

Larry N. said:
It is a different fire. There are at least 6 fires in Colorado now, and a large chunk of the state is smoky.

What the hell is it with you people over there in Colorado trying to burn the state down?  Too much wacky tobacky??? ;)

Mike

zmotorsports said:
What the hell is it with you people over there in Colorado trying to burn the state down?  Too much wacky tobacky??? ;)

Mike
But the smoke has a fine aroma! ;)

zmotorsports said:

Mike

You didn't send us enough water, Mike, so we're in a drought. It doesn't take much to set one off, and all that wind you're sending us just makes it worse, especially when it includes lightning.  :)

Mike, We are still coming but won't get there until August 12 and will be staying at Ouray Campground and Cabins. There weren't any sites at the KOA that worked for us. Talked to a friend who is in Montrose and he say all trails in this area are open.

See you soon, George and Diane Martin

Allegro Bus said:
Mike, We are still coming but won't get there until August 12 and will be staying at Ouray Campground and Cabins. There weren't any sites at the KOA that worked for us. Talked to a friend who is in Montrose and he say all trails in this area are open.

See you soon, George and Diane Martin

Sounds good George.  Looking forward to seeing you and Diane there.

Agreed, the fires and issues have all been further south closer to Durango and thus far everything is still a go as planned.  Ok, planned is a relative term, they are happening. ;D

Mike

Durango and the fire areas are getting some well needed rain.  I'm near Bayfield (east of Durango) working on a Habitat For Humanities build and we've gotten rain for the past two nights.  Today was sunny with lots of heavy black stormclouds to the northwest and it's raining here as I'm typing this.  Durango is under a flash flood watch, and last week they got enough rain to cause multiple rockslides on Hwy 550, closing it for a few days between Ouray and Silverton.

Currently the 416 Fire (the large one) is smouldering without open flames, it will take a couple of monsoon rains or snowfall to extinguish it completely.

Hello All: 

Loretta and I are looking forward to our get together.  A BIG Thanks to Mike & Chrystal for inviting us all to join in on their vacation.

In years past we have had a "Grill Night" during our get togethers.  Several of us will set up grills on a common table (typically Mikes)
and then you're welcome to grill what ever you want for dinner, steak, fish, ribs, tofu. . . .Well.  Also bring a side dish to share.  We
can have a head count once we all get there and can enjoy an evening of good chow and conversation.  KOA has allowed us to utilize
their back deck for our get togethers.  If they will again this year, it will be great, if not we will enjoy our camaraderie where ever we can.

I also have learned that the Hot Springs in Ouray have been completely refurbished and rebuilt.  A friend of mine here in OK City has a
daughter who lives in Ouray.  He said the springs are really nice.  For those interested we might do a group dunk in the hot springs after
a big day of wheeling. . . .Just a thought.

We're really excited about seeing everyone in Ouray.  Just a few short weeks away !  ! !

Larry & Loretta Dodd

Thanks for posting up the information about having a grill night Larry.

I have spoken with Deborah @ the KOA and she said we are more than welcome to use their covered pavilion again this year for a grill night or two if we would like to do that again.  Last year we did a couple of them and I feel they were a great success and people were able to visit and mingle more so than at a restaurant somewhere in town.

I would also like to recommend the smoked BBQ at the KOA's Creekside Caf?.  The last night they will be providing the BBQ is the first night of the gathering, Saturday August 11th.  I would encourage everyone to try it as it is some pretty tasty grub. 

Also as a side note to those who have not been here before, or those that have and just forgot, the Creekside Caf? also serves breakfast in the mornings and they serve a pretty good sized helping so keep that in mind as an alternative before hitting the trails each day.

Chrystal and I are looking forward to seeing everyone again and some for the first time as we are less than three short weeks away from our 2018 Ouray Off-Road Adventure, and counting.

Mike

Charles and I will not be able to make it this year.  I was so looking forward to this but it is not to be.  I will be canceling our reservation at the KOA but will wait to do so in case someone in the group wants it.  We have a 34 ft fifthwheel and have a back in site reserved.  Just let me know.

Robin

Roadhappy said:
Charles and I will not be able to make it this year.  I was so looking forward to this but it is not to be.  I will be canceling our reservation at the KOA but will wait to do so in case someone in the group wants it.  We have a 34 ft fifthwheel and have a back in site reserved.  Just let me know.

Robin

We're sorry to hear that Robin.  We were looking forward to seeing you and Charles again.

I think someone had posted a while back that they were planning on attending but staying elsewhere in town because the KOA was full.  Maybe they will see this and take you up on your site so they will be able to stay with the rest of the group.

Mike

Here is an updated attendees list:

We've had a couple of cancellations, Charles and Robin won't be able to attend and I received a text from Gary Beckers a few weeks ago that he and Darlene wouldn't be able to attend this year.  Unfortunately Don & Becky won't be able to join us either.  Sad we won't be able to see some of our friends this year.

I have left Jan and Olga on the list but I understand they are still in Alaska with Wishard's and may not make it.

1.  * Mike & Chrystal Zuech      zmotorsports
2.  * Frank & Barb                  FrankW/Barb
3.  * Jeff & Anita                      Jeff and Anita
4.  * Gary & Coleen                toashum
5.  * Bill & Corinne                  Photog
6.  * Larry & Loretta                THEBigLarry
7.  *Jan & Olga                      Jan Stiskala (probably maybe)
8.  *Richard & Vickie              rvramblin
9.  *Lou Schneider                Lou Schneider
10. *Bev & Dave Hess            FMCA 4-Wheelers
11. *Don Doniak                    FMCA 4-Wheelers
12. *Betsy & Carl Trygstad      FMCA 4-Wheelers
13. *Terry & Betty Brewer      Terry A. Brewer/Betty Brewer
14. *Allen & Suzanne              flexitdriver
15. *George & Diane Martin    Allegro Bus
16.  *Bob & Karla DeGroft      Friends of Gary & Coleen (taoshum)

Chrystal and I are looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple of weeks.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom