Stove for outside cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drcurran

Just purchased a TT which has quick connect for propane to cook outside.  The salesman mentioned something about low pressure stove / grill.  Can I connect / use my Coleman two burner camp stove?  Thanks for the help!
Dan

Welcome to the Forum!

With propane, there are HIGH and LOW pressure appliances. 
A typical home gas grill has a 20# tank, a regulator and hose attached to the tank, and LOW pressure feeding the grill. 
Many camp lights have a 1# tank screwed directly onto the light, no regulator seen, and is fed HIGH  pressure directly from the tank to an internal regulator. 
The question becomes what feeds your camp stove?  If it is a 1# tank, then it needs HIGH pressure, and no, that line will not work.  If it uses a bigger tank with a regulator, then yes, it will work.

Thank for your reply Preacher Gordon - the propane supply is from the same tanks that supply the TT stove, heater, water heater, and refrigerator so my Coleman stove should work!

Try it.  Might work, might not.  I use a BBQ with a built in regulator on a tank that also has a regulator and it works OK but my buddy tried the same set up and it didn't.  This was after he spent $$ having a gas hose custom made for his trailer BBQ.

The gotcha is that you're going to probably spend $30 (or more) for a properly terminated hose just to try it out, if you don't already have one.

Without knowing your model, I'd say no it will not work.

Every Coleman I have owned requires high pressure I.e. Direct connect to a tank or a 1lb disposable

The propane adapter on your TT will be low pressure and will require an appropriate stove or BBQ. These are usually RV specific.

Most portable propane BBQ grills that Rvers use are designed to run off those little green disposable propane bottles, and those bottles contain high pressure propane. The BBQ grills themselves have regulators that reduce the pressure for cooking. If your BBQ grill runs off those little bottles, you won;t be able to run it off your RV's propane tank, unless an "Extend-a-stay" T-fitting (or similar) has been installed between your propane tank and the tank's regulator.

Manufacturers and dealerships sometimes install such T-fittings, because being able to run your propane grill off your RV's propane tank is a popular option. If a quick-disconnect fitting has been installed on your RV, it is likely that such a T-fitting has already been installed. You can look at your propane tank and see for yourself if one has been installed (in front of the regulator) or you can simply hook your BBQ grill up to that quick-disconnect fitting (via a hose) and see if it works.

If a high-pressure T-fitting has not been installed, it's easy enough to do yourself, and they're not very expensive. Just remember to leak-check your work.

Kev

Most likely the TT connection is after the regulator and will hook to the same place the small propane bottle would hook to which is then regulated by your grill and therefore you will have double gas regulators which will NOT work.  What you can do is remove the regulator from your grill, buy and adapter that goes from your grill to the hose (I bought mine from Amazon for about $2.00) which will already be regulated from your on board tank.  I see this same post on this forum all the time and its funny because when we are out camping we have people come up every single time were out to look at my gas connection because everybody is told you can't do that, but you can and its easy and cheap.

We have a Camp Chef outdoor gas stove we use, and just bring a 20# propane tank, like a standard gas grill for it. I also have a place on the toy hauler for a propane line, but it's after the regulator so I figured it wouldn't work well, or maybe not at all. We go to South Dakota frequently, and the wind there needs some heavy duty flame. ?

DR

Does your camp stove currently use 1# disposable tanks?  If so, the LOW pressure line WILL NOT WORK!  The question is not the supply from the camper, it is what is the supply to the camp stove now.

I got one of those road trip stoves that used the #1 cylinders. The low pressure regulator is what the cylinder screwed into. I just took that off and added a quick connect fitting and got a hose and use my campers low pressure system.

Yes, many have removed the regulator from their portable grill and used the low pressure from the RV regulator. A Google search on on converting grills will yield a lot of results. I you are going to do a conversion like that, do a real good job of checking for leaks before you use the grill.

I can only add this
In the popup I used to have, it had plumbed in a low pressure LP hose to a grille that hung on the sidewall for the pup.  It was nearly worthless.  The low pressure system didn't put out enough heat.  It was a slow cooker.
I'd guess low pressure might be ok for a properly jetted stove burner for small scale cooking....but not good for grilling.

I had that problem with a backyard BBQ.  I installed the jets meant for natural gas and that thing now sears steaks like a flame thrower.  I do have to keep a close eye on the heat though.

For the OP.... just remember that if your RV's quick-disconnect setup is a low pressure LP hookup, and you opt to remove the BBQ grill's regulator, so you can run your grill off your RV's propane tank, you won't be able to use those disposable propane bottle anymore. You'll pretty much be limited to using your BBQ grill at your RV only. That may not be an issue for some, but it could be for others.

Kev

Okay- Here we go:
Photo 1 - Grill with the normal low pressure regulator and 1# bottle
Photo 2 - Low pressure line adapter
Photo 3 - Grill with normal low pressure regulator removed and adapter installed - both are only figure tight - NO tools
Photo 4 - Grill with quick connect hose attached to grill on one end and RV on the other.
Photo 5 - Grill with the low pressure regulator and 1# bottle back on.

When you remove the low pressure regulator from the grill keep it, if you want to remove the adapter and use the 1# bottle its as easy as switching what is attached to your grill at the time and both are only figure tight - NO tools, I interchange mine all the time.

I hope this helps and shows how its done and how easy it is to do.

Attachments

• Photo 1.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo 2.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo 3.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Photo 4.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo 5.pdf
    23.5 KB · Views: 13
I purchased a two burner propane stove online and built a box to mount it on the outside grill bracket.

My Portable Grill is a Coleman Road Trip.. Now this is a multi-multi-grill

Two burners, and two half "Grids" they can be a Skillit (Solid platter) Grill (Sloted traditional) or burner rings. (Like a stove)

It is a very good stove.. Not so hot as a grill (Bit anemic on the burners).

ClickHill said:
Okay- Here we go:
Photo 1 - Grill with the normal low pressure regulator and 1# bottle
Photo 2 - Low pressure line adapter
Photo 3 - Grill with normal low pressure regulator removed and adapter installed - both are only figure tight - NO tools
Photo 4 - Grill with quick connect hose attached to grill on one end and RV on the other.
Photo 5 - Grill with the low pressure regulator and 1# bottle back on.

When you remove the low pressure regulator from the grill keep it, if you want to remove the adapter and use the 1# bottle its as easy as switching what is attached to your grill at the time and both are only figure tight - NO tools, I interchange mine all the time.

I hope this helps and shows how its done and how easy it is to do.

So how do you regulate the flame without that part on there?

You can open your propane feed all the way and regulate the heat with far you open the grill lid or you can regulate the flame with how far you open the propane feed.

Back
Top Bottom